MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gas prices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: gas prices Reply with quote

anybody plan to reduce their driving habits for a while as gas prices hover above $1.75? will it cut down on geocaching road trips for anybody?

i have a whole diatribe on the subject, but i don't have the energy right now.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I picked a good time to request an RMA to send my etrex in to Garmin to get the black rubber replaced--hopefully gas prices will be down by the time it gets back. I'm glad Perrine and I took a camping trip this past weekend--I'm sure the local profit-mongers are going to gouge the @#$%&* out of us over the holiday weekend. Anyhow, we've been busy enough at work that if I want to stay late and work some overtime, I can, so gas prices haven't affected my recreational activities, but they have compelled me to work a little more.
kleiner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the local station when the manager came out with a hand crank and proceeded to crank up the price on the sign. We all watched as he tacked on 15 cents. As I went through the checkout I asked the cashier why the price went up. Of course I got the standard answer "I don-no". Then for fun I said I didn't see the tanker bring any "new" gas that would justify a price change. All I got was a cold hard hairy eyeball stare. Evil or Very Mad Oh Well. JK
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its quite possible that the model price = cost * (1 + fairmargin) is what is taught in economics classes in MN. However, gas station owners subscribe to a different model called the model of Supply and Demand. Shocked
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kleiner wrote:
I was at the local station when the manager came out with a hand crank and proceeded to crank up the price on the sign. We all watched as he tacked on 15 cents. As I went through the checkout I asked the cashier why the price went up. Of course I got the standard answer "I don-no". Then for fun I said I didn't see the tanker bring any "new" gas that would justify a price change. All I got was a cold hard hairy eyeball stare. Evil or Very Mad Oh Well. JK

years ago i worked at a convenience store. when gas prices were reaching an unprecedented high, i had a phone call from somebody complaining about our company, asking me all sorts of questions about who owns the store, who oversees this, who oversees that. the guy was giving me a hard time for not being able to answer all his questions. your story kind of reminds me of that, kleiner.

your comment about "new gas" is quite interesting. i had never thought about it in that way.

i've seen more than one television news story in the past few years about gas pricing when the prices reach these painful levels. at least one of these stories had somebody touting how gas stations are actually competitive when it comes to pricing against one another, but i somewhat to see it.

i could see one owner's point, however, about his purchase price. when he purchases a tanker of gas, and then the wholesale price drops a day later, he is forced to lower his price to compete with the other stations, and that hurts his bottom line. that would likely explain why when one station jumps 15 cents, they all jump. i assume they base their current price on the wholesale prices, regardless of the price they paid for their last tanker, and hope it all evens out at the end of the year.

still, if stations were actually competive, the price at the local amoco (soon to be BP) and it's immediate neighbor, sinclair, wouldn't be exactly the same 99 percent of the time. (not counting the two-hour lag between when one raises/lowers its prices and when the other follows suit.)

so now that this is no longer a geocaching discussion, i will note that my travel plans are not changing, and those will include cache stops. but overall i'm trying to reduce my driving enough to perhaps save myself about 300 miles in the next month or so. (thereby saving myself one tank of gas.)

what does that mean for local geocaching? if i have the time, which in the summer months is less available, i will focus on some of the nearby caches i have yet to do, rather than the new and unique cache locations that may not be on the road to and from my usual destinations.

if gas prices flatline for a few months, (i read the spike may recess in the near future, but we all know that means not until after labor day,) and we're paying still $1.75 in mid-october, (prime geocaching time in my book,) that will be a good excuse to seek out those caches that take a lot of time to do. caches that can take a couple hours can be a turn off, but in the interest of economically conservative geocaching, they may become the best value for the gasoline dollar.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handy sites showing prices of local stations as well as trending:

http://www.twincitiesgasprices.com/

http://www.minnesotagasprices.com/

"Together we can work to promote competition and drive down the retail price of gasoline."
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes As of today, Aug 26, gas in Ely, and as far as I can tell-any station north of Duluth ,is $1.79 a gal. My cousin in Kansas City is at $1.61. Gas always goes higher before a holiday and comes down after - well, our boat needs about 35 gal and it has been sitting on the lift for awhile. The 5 gal left in it might get me to end on the lake and back one more time this season.
captpetefam
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: My pockets say OUCH! Reply with quote

I found it interesting that at most gas stations this weekend (other than at Mankato where I live) the price this holiday weekend was actually lower than last weekend. This might be opening up a swarm of comments but why can't we drum up our own oil and stop depending on OPEC? We have vast amounts of oil under some of our waters and lands and know one would ever see us pipe it. I too have seen several shows about how people are gouged at the pumps but the gouging starts at the country we bought the oil from.

Am I the only one that thinks getting our own oil would be good? Question
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm glad to see gas prices move the other way for a while, even if they did spike this past week.

i was worried that it would be at or above $2/gallon around and after labor day weekend, but it sure dropped in a hurry. (relatively speaking.) it topped out at $1.83 in my neighborhood, and dropped all the way down below $1.50 before it was time to jack the price. quite a surprise!

i kept waiting for that labor day jump, and it didn't come. just when you thought you've seen it all.....

besides the arbitrariness of the increases, i've never understood why the price will go down 3 or 5 cents at a time, but when it jumps, it never increases 3 or 5 cents, it always seems to jump at least a dime, often closer to 20 cents.

i'm just glad prices have come back to something less painful. now, about those winter heating bills.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: