MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A gift, of a GPS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: A gift, of a GPS Reply with quote

Alright, I received an email from someone who wants to purchase a new gps for someone else. This person is a geocacher, a fisherman, and a hunter. His gps is one of the first ones ever made, so he is really for a new one. Laughing They want a good gps. I'm not a great person to ask because I basically cache with a piece of paper, pencil, and the direction of the sun. I suggested the Garmin 60CSX. What would you suggest? His birthday is knocking on the door quite soon, so a decision will have to be made in the next oh.. 24 hours I guess. Hmmm should I suggest the Oregon? Maybe whatever I suggest, I'll wind up buying for myself and put my paper and pencil away. Thanks for your help!

~northtrekker
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A gift, of a GPS Reply with quote

northtrekker wrote:
Alright, I received an email from someone who wants to purchase a new gps for someone else. This person is a geocacher, a fisherman, and a hunter. His gps is one of the first ones ever made, so he is really for a new one. Laughing They want a good gps. I'm not a great person to ask because I basically cache with a piece of paper, pencil, and the direction of the sun. I suggested the Garmin 60CSX. What would you suggest? His birthday is knocking on the door quite soon, so a decision will have to be made in the next oh.. 24 hours I guess. Hmmm should I suggest the Oregon? Maybe whatever I suggest, I'll wind up buying for myself and put my paper and pencil away. Thanks for your help!

~northtrekker

I think some of it comes down to how technically literate they are. I know a number of people that probably would be more comfortable with some models of GPS units over others. That same group is probably not desiring the fanciest touch-screen models that are out there and rather go with something that they feel is a little more rugged.

I think the 60s are a good line.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Oregon 400 for its easy paperless geocaching, including easily loading PQs, using fieldnotes, reading previous logs and reading cache descriptions. I don't like that I can out run/walk the GPS and have to wait for it to catch up to me.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
I like my Oregon 400 for its easy paperless geocaching, including easily loading PQs, using fieldnotes, reading previous logs and reading cache descriptions. I don't like that I can out run/walk the GPS and have to wait for it to catch up to me.

I've never used any GPS named after a state, but I've found that most GPS units I've used have that problem to some degree.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think the 60 series is a great place to look. They're a really great value right now too!
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest either the old 60 or new 62 series. They are very rugged. My unit has been dropped a few time from higher elevations and it just keeps going. It is great for hunting since it has an external antenna and can get better satellite acquisition in the woods. I have never been a fan of touch screen GPS units. My hands get way to dirty and wet while cache. The interface is better then the eTrex units. It can do a lot more stuff in a faster way.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they cache, fish and hunt... I would suggest keeping in mind the ability to load up various types of maps. ie topo's for the hunting (and caching) and lake maps for the fishing if they would use that, and for navigating around loading in streets etc.

Would suggest sticking with a color screen too.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my two Oregons, but I have never used a 60 series.
Jasowac
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 62s and use it for hunting, fishing, caching, off roading, turn-by-turn directions, etc

I am most impressed with it's ability to keep a signal. It's incredible when I went from an Etrex to the 62s. I can keep a signal in a basement and under heady tree cover.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out with the Garmin 60CSX and now use the Oregon. The 60CSX is a great unit to start out with. Happy Caching.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he is a fisherman in small boats then the 78 is the place to be. It floats unlike the Oregon or the 60 series.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
If he is a fisherman in small boats then the 78 is the place to be. It floats unlike the Oregon or the 60 series.

I was thinking the same thing...the 60 series is good (I started with the Legend and moved to 60...)...but, that fisherman part of the person would appreciate a peice of technology that floats!!!
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys, thanks a lot for taking the time to respond & for all the info. I've forwarded it to the interested party ... and well, I think "I" am going to make an upgrade and go for the 60CSx. I've gone back and forth for so long between the 60 and the Oregon that I just need to do it. That price drop in the 60 series is pretty tempting. I remember paying nearly 199 for an ETrex Legend. For myself, I'm too clumsy of a cacher to go with the Oregon. I tend to drop the gps a lot. But I'd like an Oregon too...

Thanks again, I appreciate it. Caches are just buried up north - it's been pretty quiet...

Very Happy

~nt
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northtrekker wrote:
Thanks again, I appreciate it. Caches are just buried up north - it's been pretty quiet...

I was just up north last week. over three feet of snow in some areas, but still found enough caches to make the trip worth it. Grab a shovel and go it. Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: