MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.....
Trolling.....
that's o.k. with me! Everybody has an voice!

I could go into a long story about this but I won't ....I don't want to let this string here get out of hand!!!!!!

But I will tell you that with hard work you can recover lost or slow 2 log bugs and that is what this string is about!!!

I also believe that I deleted the log you are talking about after the log was posted by the missing person....(I COULD BE WRONG ON THIS Azgirl might have).
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeakShift wrote:
I feel you should use a private email to deal with someone you are not happy with. Its a courtesy some might expect before being ripped publicly on the cache page-

Who's to say that these people use a VALID email address when signing up for GC.com? Perhaps they are paranoid (like myself) and use a "throw-away" email account when the sign up for webpages?

Quote:
Most people use GC.com, but not so many use the Forums. Some people, especially new comers could get a bad impression of geo caching - or worse yet, give you a bad reputation among other geo-cachers.

Personally, I feel that it would be worse for you not to log your TB finds and leave the owner (and those that had the TB in their posession at one time or another) hanging...

Quote:
Freindliness, repect, common courtesy - call it whatever you like
should be something people can expect from fellow geocachers.

See comment above. Two way streets are common.

Silent Bob
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha&Bob wrote:
Who's to say that these people use a VALID email address when signing up for GC.com? Perhaps they are paranoid (like myself) and use a "throw-away" email account when the sign up for webpages?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'VAILD'. Given that GC.com watches for bounced emails and deactivates account that no longer have valid addresses.......

Of course, valid but ignored email accounts would still work....
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. ....here's one....
somebody makes a log in a logbook.
You don't know the name (not been in alot of caches yet).....maybe they don't know how to make a log on a cache page......
Or an Travel bug page.......
You then would like to contact them............

One thing that is almost impossible is to find the email on gc.com
you can't do a search on peoples profile. Lets say I want to send an email to Centris....I have to go to a Cache page or Bug page that I know she has been to ...then click on the name to get a profile to send an email. Simple if I know the caches and bugs she has been to........Try doing that to somebody that has been to only a few caches.....

You have to go looking thru other cache pages an hope you find a name as a log on one of them......
I'm sure there is many people in the world of geocaching that don't bother to make logs on cache pages when they find them...heck I KNOW that a ton of people will NOT log a CANT FIND!!

I have a lot more to add on this but I'm keeping my cool!!! Rolling Eyes Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what you can do:

Go to "Hide and Seek a Cache" and find the last find option, "Or, Caches found by username:"

Put in the name of the person who logged the cache and it will give you a list of all caches that they have found. From any of these you can find their log and get their profile.

Here's your list using this method.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Wink
PeakShift
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hmmm..... Trolling.....

No, just calling you on what I consider an inappropriate comment.

Quote:
I could go into a long story about this but I won’t....I don't want to let this string here get out of hand!!!!!!

I think the Bug grabbers speak for themselves.

Quote:
But I will tell you that with hard work you can recover lost or slow 2 log bugs and that is what this string is about!!!

I understand the thread title, but in relation to Geocaching.... Hmm.......
where does it say 4 days= "lost" or "slow"???bugs? Maybe I missed it, or the part about who knows best......

Quote:
I also believe that I deleted the log you are talking about after the log was posted by the missing person..

I got a copy via watch list, and understand you changed your mind & deleted it - your intent / attitude towards the incident was what caused my reply.

Marsha&Bob wrote:
Quote:

Or worse yet - use 2 or 3(4,5,6) to hide, and find and snatch TBUGS?
Hide it as one, find as another - log a TB. Trade with yourself, hide in another (of your own)- "find" again. Ching ching ching- count it!
just a theory I have developed by watching the boards, the numbers...

Quote:
Marsha&Bob wrote: It seems there alot more high scoring
TBUG'rs than those who've found the actual cache, and have ahigh count. A different intention, within a different game?

Does my idea make any sense? I've seen the same thing, and personally think returning to a cache over and over; only to bag bugs is just Exclamation

Quote:
I don’t know, but from what I've read about Geocaching-anywhere- TBUGS haven’t been mentioned as big aspects of the game, but rather tokens for your accomplishment of finding a cache

I completely agree- actually I posted nearly the same exact words on the actual cache page, originally in response to the Kitch gripe- but it was also Deleted- by Kitch - or AZG at the request of Kitch, or ????(see above)

Quote:
Personally, I feel that it would be worse for you not to log your TB finds and leave the owner (and those that had the TB in their posession at one time or another) hanging...

From above "I understand the thread title, but in relation to Geocaching.... Hmm.......where does it say 4 days= "lost" or "slow"???bugs? Maybe I missed it, or the part about who knows best......

I do know some people prefer to use a few names when hiding/ finding-
but if the names all link back to the same "usernname" within GC- its one thing- but When you begin to hide as one, find as another- To ME- you cross the line, and blur your integrity by allowing yourself to be able to hide and find your own caches/ bugs- only to Rack up the Count.
But the count of what? caches?

To me, This is Not a stats game/sport/hobby/etc- Its about the experience. Get out there, and enjoy America ! Return trips day after day to the same cache(possibly under several different usernames) is- again- TO ME- just an ego-boosting thing for the Bug inclined.
A different sport within a sport? I don’t know- but it has Nothing to do with why I got involved with this.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will agree that 4 days is a little early to get excited over a bug that hasn't been logged yet; but it is aggravating not to know the status of a favorite travelbug and at some point the bug owner will need to contact the last finder.

As to bugs not being a big part of the sport. . .that is totally up to the player. Some folks like myself love the find, some love to hide more than anything. Others like the travelbug for their creative back stories or the adventures that they have had en route. There is no reason not to allow everyone to enjoy geocaching in their own way.

This issue has come up repeatedly on this forum. A relatively new geocacher gets into the sport and decides what others should or should not do and complains here about it. Then several of our forum members chime in with responses like the above paragraph. After a time the anti-bugger or anti-hider or whatever gets the idea that the general consensus here is one of "Hey, let's all get along and enjoy the sport in our own way!" and either lets it drop or finds another website/activity to go complain about. Can we cut to the chase this time and skip to the part where this is a non-issue?

This is a family-friendly place to discuss a sport we enjoy. We've not been known to be particularly troll-friendly.

On the issue of creating multiple usernames for their own purposes, be careful not to cast the first stone here. There is no geocaching.com account named "PeakShift" or PeekShift" so it would seem that you either haven't registered or you chose a different name on these boards so that we wouldn't know who you are.

Just relax and enjoy the sport.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry about all of this. I really thought I was trying to help somebody that spent the money to buy a Travel bug tag and make sure it didn't go missing......

You need to understand that I have been accused of stealing a Travel bug in the past....... so I don't like having my name accused of stealing or misplacing a travel bug....that is the reason I was trying to locate the person that took it.....

Crying or Very sad Embarassed Crying or Very sad Cool
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeakShift wrote:
Does my idea make any sense? I've seen the same thing, and personally think returning to a cache over and over; only to bag bugs is just Exclamation

PeakShift wrote:
To me, This is Not a stats game/sport/hobby/etc- Its about the experience. Get out there, and enjoy America ! Return trips day after day to the same cache(possibly under several different usernames) is- again- TO ME- just an ego-boosting thing for the Bug inclined.
A different sport within a sport? I donít know- but it has Nothing to do with why I got involved with this.

BOOM!
A direct hit upon the notorious Bug Bunny....... good job!
We all know what a "bug inclined" "ego maniac" she is, eh? Wink

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy <------ some happy TBugs who are not lost in the geo-wild this week
Very Happy <------ and their happy finder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Life, the universe, and everything. Reply with quote

Hello, my name is pogopod. (group says, "Hi pogopod"). I am a bug inclined ego-booster.

Some people like baseball. Some memorize stats.
Some people like to jog. Some run marathons.
Some people like Star Trek. Some dress up like Spock and go to conventions.
Some people search out new caches. Some hunt for new bugs.

This is a hobby, a game, a diversion from the day to day grind. Enjoy it. Appreciate that others enjoy it differently. Be positive. This is a great new way to have fun, meet new people and get off our collective butts and get a little fresh air.
PeakShift
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in my original post,
Quote:
This is purely my opinion, and I do NOT claim to be an expert- but Freindliness, repect, common courtesy - call it whatever you like should be something people can expect from fellow geocachers.

Whatever your angle on caching is, GREAT! Just treat the other users with some respect- or at least take it private. Common courtesy.

Quote:
On the issue of creating multiple usernames for their own purposes, be careful not to cast the first stone here. There is no geocaching.com account named "PeakShift" or PeekShift" so it would seem that you either haven't registered or you chose a different name on these boards so that we wouldn't know who you are.

You are correct, this is not my geocaching.com username. Why? Being identified by some mngca cachers can make your caching life heck.

Some MnGCA'ers have quite a reputation among the Geocaching.com users that I have dealt with. Long story short, I dont want any part of that BS. I have now included my email in my profile, if that helps.
If you really want or need to know my geocaching username, email me and explain why its important.

Quote:
just relax and enjoy the sport.

I am trying.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Being identified by some mngca cachers can make your caching life heck.

WOW, a regular ol' Peyton Place ?

KQRS sound byte:

"I haven't the faintest idea what you're talkin' about."

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
PeakShift
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
WOW, a regular ol' Peyton Place ?

KQRS sound byte:

"I haven't the faintest idea what you're talkin' about."

Im sure you dont, do you . . . . . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: