MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GSAK Version 6 vs. 7
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: GSAK Version 6 vs. 7 Reply with quote

As many of you GSAK subscribers know, GSAK version 7 has been released. The version is not available as a free upgrade to version 6.X, which means that if you enjoy the features enough you'll have to shell out once again for the slick new features.

If any of you have any experience with both of these, post your insight here and let us know if you think the upgrade is worthwhile.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use GSAK because of the pay-to-use features which exploit a freely distributable program, but from what I understand from some other users our there, they are disgusted with the fact that the previous license terms said "free upgrades".

To go and change the license terms after the fact is pretty lame. Just because the "big boys" go and do it all the time doesn't mean that everyone should.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the license agreement said was "GSAK updates are currently free and I plan to keep this policy for the foreseeable future"

He never said that he wouldn't charge for furuter updates, just that he hadn't done so already.

As for the "pay-to-use features which exploit a freely distributable program" comment, I think (and that is why I did pay for it) that they took GPSBabel and wrapped an amazing bit of UI around it, and added a bunch of functionality into it.

I purchased my copy a few months ago and so qualify for a reduced upgrade fee; and I have upgraded my copy to 7, for no other reason that to improve the ability to work with Child Waypoints. I have cursed the system on a few occasions because a cache had a child waypoint and I would have liked to edit it, or even just see what it was named.

You don't have to upgrade, you can keep running 6.x for free for the remainder of time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
What the license agreement said was "GSAK updates are currently free and I plan to keep this policy for the foreseeable future"

He never said that he wouldn't charge for furuter updates, just that he hadn't done so already.

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I'll be sure to ignore their future whining Smile

Quote:
As for the "pay-to-use features which exploit a freely distributable program" comment, I think (and that is why I did pay for it) that they took GPSBabel and wrapped an amazing bit of UI around it, and added a bunch of functionality into it.

I don't know why you think it's "amazing" but it's the furthest thing from "amazing" that I can think of (I know it's Wednesday and all but "amazing" should *never* be linked to GSAK's UI design).

If anything, it's cumbersome, obnoxious, and tedious. The dude that writes the software, while apparently useful, needs to take a few 100 and 200 level human interface design courses.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy the UI of GSAK. Its a pretty intuitive program to use, however I am a bit bummed that I have to pay for new features.

So, Zman... just how AMAZING is GSAK 7?
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I don't know why you think it's "amazing" but it's the furthest thing from "amazing" that I can think of (I know it's Wednesday and all but "amazing" should *never* be linked to GSAK's UI design).

If anything, it's cumbersome, obnoxious, and tedious. The dude that writes the software, while apparently useful, needs to take a few 100 and 200 level human interface design courses.

Yes the UI is strange and nonstandard (unless the latest human interface research calls for a "User Flags" menu) but it's a very amazing program, certainly a lot more than just a wrapper around gpsbabel. It's like perl.. It's a mess, but a useful one.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use GSAK because of the pay-to-use features which exploit a freely distributable program, but from what I understand from some other users our there, they are disgusted with the fact that the previous license terms said "free upgrades".

It's nagware. You don't have to pay to use any of the features.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
It's nagware. You don't have to pay to use any of the features.

heh. I don't know what's worse.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the UI is pretty much the same as 6.x. It's more of a bunch of feature improvements. Like I said, my fav is the child waypoint screen.

All improvements: http://gsak.net/help/hs1060.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got the notice and while I have not decided yet if I will upgrade or not I certainly understand and figured that at some point this would happen. It takes time and resources to manage a program like this and time is money for most of us.

The only reason I might not upgrade is because the program works well for me right now as I use it. I know however that I am not using it to its fullest capability and that is only because I haven't learned to (yet). Right now learning CS2, NN, and a few other photography programs is all I can handle.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the notice and paid for the upgrade right away.

I love the program and I have been most appreciative over the years at how well and thoughtfully the program has been maintained.

When I think of all the hours I've used the program and how much I've enjoyed all its capabilities, I have no problem spending $15 to keep Clyde in the Fosters.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a software developer myself, I completely understand the change in licensing terms. I've written several freeware and shareware programs where I wished I had either charged a fee or a higher fee because it turned out to be wildly popular. After spending hundreds, even thousands of hours, writing and maintaining code, I can sympathize for wanting to make a buck. Afterall, time isn't free.

http://www.bitdebris.com
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This from a guy who believes that UI design has only gone backwards after command line interfaces.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
This from a guy who believes that UI design has only gone backwards after command line interfaces.

Which is why I use gpsbabel w/o GSAK Wink
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem kicking out a few bucks for the upgrade. I agree with the sentiment of the time involved with writing the program and then having to deal with all the "could you just..." suggestions from subscribers.
THe other point is that we're not talking alot of money here. I could understand the gripe if it were the usual MS thing of charging lots of money for upgrading each machine, but that isn't the case here.
I like the fact that someone else has taken the time to write a program that does what I want so I don't have to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: