MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State Park Caches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: State Park Caches Reply with quote

Today I responded to a request from the park manager at Fort Snelling State Park. He wanted an update on the geocache hidden there. So I looked into it and sent him a reply which included the following info:
Since this cache was published in October of 2006, 9 "found it" logs have been posted (representing 12 visitors plus one dog).

Now I know that this cache has a fairly long hike to reach the posted coordinates, and being it is in a State Park, you need to have a valid auto permit to enter and park, but only 12 visitors in 3+ months seems low to me for a metro state park cache.

I seem to recall plenty of discussion about how much we needed to have geocaching allowed in the state parks. There was a lot of emotion expressed on the topic. Was this a theoretical need - we just didn't like the idea of being excluded from the state parks? Or do people really intend to hide and seek caches in the state parks? At 4 visits per month, the visit rate for the Fort Snelling cache is roughly what a mature metro cache sees. However, newer caches like this typically see a higher visit rate than that - so I wonder what the issue is.

Anyway, the effort was expended, and the MnGCA worked with the people managing the state parks and a workable geocaching policy has been adopted. After all this, are we cachers going to go through the process of hiding and seeking or not?

Finally, I'm curious whether anybody is keeping track of all the geocaches (whether traditional or earthcaches) that are currently active within the Minnesota State Park system. I guess it would have to be a bookmark list managed by someone.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: State Park Caches Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
Now I know that this cache has a fairly long hike to reach the posted coordinates, and being it is in a State Park, you need to have a valid auto permit to enter and park, but only 12 visitors in 3+ months seems low to me for a metro state park cache.

Although I don't monitor metro caches enough to know how the statistics work out, a 3 1/2 mile round trip hike is a fair distance. Add to that the fact that you do need a permit and the fact that the cache was placed in the late fall vs. early spring, and I can see how the visitor count could be low.

Quote:
I seem to recall plenty of discussion about how much we needed to have geocaching allowed in the state parks. There was a lot of emotion expressed on the topic. Was this a theoretical need - we just didn't like the idea of being excluded from the state parks? Or do people really intend to hide and seek caches in the state parks?

I know I have intentions on doing cache in state parks (hiding and finding) but just haven't gotten to it yet. I've been saving my last ammo can for a state park hide and hope to get out this spring/summer to place it.

I think hiding caches in state parks will be more involved and thus there will be less of them and they will be hides that will require more work. It's unlikely that you'll see too many P&Gs in a state park, and more likely that you'll see 1+ mile hikes. I know the cache I would like to place in Jay Cooke will be in that category.

Quote:
Finally, I'm curious whether anybody is keeping track of all the geocaches (whether traditional or earthcaches) that are currently active within the Minnesota State Park system. I guess it would have to be a bookmark list managed by someone.

I went to start a list but found one already:

MN State Parks Bookmark List

You may want to notify dlgps to let him know to add your cache.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one like state parks and I like the idea of state-park caches. I'm also a fan of caches that require a bit of effort to get to as Paklid's does.

The state parks are home to some very nice off-the-beaten-track spots, and I would hope the caches placed in state parks would help cachers find their way to those spots. When I visit a state park, I like to see as many of its special places as possible -- and not just those accessible at pullouts and overlooks. Park and grabs at state parks would be a waste if you ask me.

I have a couple state park placements in mind, but it will be spring before I can get to them.

I started a state-park bookmark list a while ago that I thought has been made public, but I guess not. It is public now. I'll see about further updating it soon.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cache located right off I-35 in a free park that was a bit over two miles round trip and it only had six finds in its first three months and twenty in 2.5 years.

People just are not willing to put in the time required to walk the distance to get one smiley. I guarantee in your (or my) cache was a 15 - 20 part series located in the same park it would gain a lot more attention.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan is to hunt your cache via kayak next spring/summer. Cool

Caches in State Parks are destined to be found by far fewer cachers than those in parks that don't require fees to enter. I suspect most finds are made by people who are in the park for reasons other than just geocaching.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.. The DNR has added "geocaching" to their navigation links on the right side of the state parks page:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/index.html

At the moment it only points to their short press release (from the front page) about caching, with links to the guidelines and permit forms...
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had intentions of finding your cache Paklid, and rest assured I will before the stinging nettle and mosquitoes take over the island.

My only reason for delay has been my change in cars and not wanting to buy a state parks permit until I had my new car. Now that geocaching is allowed in State parks, I thought an annual permit would be worth it.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
My only reason for delay has been my change in cars and not wanting to buy a state parks permit until I had my new car.

I can't find a reference to quote right now, but I'm pretty sure you can transfer a state park permit to a new car. Inquire wherever permits are sold. I do enjoy the state parks -- even more not that geocaching is allowed -- so I think an annual permit is well worth it.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RubberToes wrote:
I can't find a reference to quote right now, but I'm pretty sure you can transfer a state park permit to a new car. Inquire wherever permits are sold. I do enjoy the state parks -- even more not that geocaching is allowed -- so I think an annual permit is well worth it.

You are correct. All you have to do is scrape the old one off the old car and bring it in the next time you go to state park. When I bought my new truck a year ago, I took the sticker I had scraped off, pressed it onto a sheet of paper and put it in the glove box of the new truck so it was there when I was next at a State Park, rather than make a special trip.

Another thing they allow is buying a second sticker for a second family vehicle at a discounted price, even if not bought at the same time. For that I believe you have to write down the serial number of the first sticker and bring it in. IIRC, it was $18 for the second sticker.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5savages wrote:

Another thing they allow is buying a second sticker for a second family vehicle at a discounted price, even if not bought at the same time. For that I believe you have to write down the serial number of the first sticker and bring it in. IIRC, it was $18 for the second sticker.

You may need the expiration month of the 1st sticker as well... I did this a couple of years ago and I remember that the 2nd sticker was only good up to the expiration date of the 1st sticker.

I don't remember what information I had to give them as I had the vehicle with the 1st sticker with at the same time.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm sure they can be transferred, I just didn't want to hassle with it.

Besides, during the whole changing cars process, I didn't really have much time to get out caching anyways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: