MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New game?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this would be really fun Gilby. I like it!!
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea!
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Idea Gilby....Sounds like a lot of fun.
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I am in! I can see me aimlessly driving around in search of vehicles - but that's part of the fun isn't it. Razz
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby4 wrote:
4) Hopefully people won't get hung up on giving someone controlling the game their license plate number. Pretty basic info, and the only thing they have to give up with it is their Geocaching name.

I think the bigger concern would be that once spotted, someone can associate your vehicle to your name. Naturally the way out of that problem is to not play, but it would be a concern (who knows how large).

Quote:
6) I'm not a computer person, but this seems like a pretty easy thing to set up if you are a computer person???

Probably true.

One thing to consider is the game would be a lot harder to play outside of the metro as the concentration of cachers is much less (as is the concentration of events). To get those outside of the metro interested you'd have to overcome that handicap.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
One thing to consider is the game would be a lot harder to play outside of the metro as the concentration of cachers is much less (as is the concentration of events). To get those outside of the metro interested you'd have to overcome that handicap.

Move Wink Wink Wink
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Those of us outstate would have a tougher time. Maybe you could get more points based on the distance from the metro area.. Say if you are in the metro area you get 1 point, if your out 50-100miles you get 2 points, if your out beyond that you get three points per sighting. Just not sure how you would determine distance on something like this. Just an idea.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
Yeah! Those of us outstate would have a tougher time. Maybe you could get more points based on the distance from the metro area.. Say if you are in the metro area you get 1 point, if your out 50-100miles you get 2 points, if your out beyond that you get three points per sighting. Just not sure how you would determine distance on something like this. Just an idea.

Or just do what Gilby suggested. Wink

But, seriously, this issue is true no matter what type of game we come up with. The facts are there are just more geocachers in the twin cities and surrounding areas, Rochester, Duluth and St. Cloud areas than in outstate MN. Some geocachers will be at a disadvantage due to geographic location. And in my opinion, your location shouldn't weight the results. There are plenty of people, you being one, that gets around quite a bit from outstate. That means you would have to do half the work as someone else. If you came to the cities for a weekend you might rack up quite a few points. So you would get the benefit of being in the cities and the benefit of double points. Now, I'm just using you and your suggestion as an example and am by no means trashing your idea. I'm just pointing out that, geographical locations of MnGCA members will influence the game. Having grown up in outstate I fully appreciate the sentiment, but I don't see how a game could be "fair" based on where members live. I think no matter what, the areas that have a higher concentration of cachers will be at the advantage. Same if we had a TB race of some kind.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pondered this one for a while, and at the outset I'll say this: I don't have any spectacular ideas for a new game. But here is the reservation I have with the license plate game idea:

Coming up on 6 years ago I was fairly new to caching and was out finding one when I found this keychain thingy with instructions on it being a game piece. That was how I found the MnGCA, through the Laker game. Before that (and actually for quite a while after I found that game piece) I had never attended an event, and had no idea there was an organization called the MnGCA. I think the license plate thing could be fun, but to me it doesn't really bring new people into the organization. I literally stumbled upon it by accident in a cache, and had fun for a few months with the game until it ended. To me if you want to advertise, grow, whatever you want to call it, you have to branch out much the way the Laker game did, and let those who have no clue about the organization find it while they're doing something they already enjoy. To me the license plate thing is too event-centric and/or non-caching centric (if you consider just looking for the sticker or whatever it is while you're out and about town)

To me there is no easy answer, caching has changed so much since I found that Laker 6 years ago... there are a TON more caches, many of them are micros that can't hold anything. The Laker game, if it lacked anything, lacked a "social" aspect to it, which for many people is just fine. Others enjoy the social aspect. I think with the license plates you'll discover that it is the same faces that you see at events now, only they'll all disappear for 20 minutes to go wander the parking lot.

Maybe, and I'm just throwing it out there literally off the top of my head, maybe we try to combine the cache-centric focus that the Lakers had with a social aspect. Maybe something like custom poker chips, that you find one and you "register" it on the website as being found by you. You could do a similar points/month type thing for moving it around, or make it where you find it and you can either hang onto it until the end of the time period where you can redeem it at let's say the spring event for 1 raffle ticket, or register it online and re-release it to another cache, where when it gets picked up again you get double credit and 2 raffle tickets. Then you have a social and cache centric type of thing. How you pull all that off I have no idea. (Well I do know of a place in Vegas that does custom poker chips as a starting place) The programming and computer geek stuff I have no idea how you make all that voo-doo happen, that's why I carry a TV camera and not a computer around for a living.

Just my 2 cents that really isn't even worth that.
BP Finders
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Battleship Reply with quote

I was in the KC area for the New Year and they just unleashed a new game for them. Battleship. Some caches are hits others are misses. My nephew and niece loved it. They kept asking me to find more battleship caches.

There are obviously 5 ships. I don't know how to tell which one you've hit. I only found 3 and they were all misses.

Here is the GC code to one of them and you can look at it from there.
http://coord.info/GC366K8

KC Battleship

Welcome to KC Battleship. This is one of 100 battleship grid caches hidden as part of the KC Battleship series. The grid is 10x10 and the squares are labeled A1 through J10.

The objective is just like the game of Battleship; discover the locations of ships by finding caches in the grid that indicate “hits”. Each hit will contain pieces of the coordinates to one of 5 ship caches published separately. Each of those 5 ship caches will hold the clues to one final cache also published separately. The 5 ships and the number of hits for each are as follows:

Patrol Boat = 2 Hits
Submarine = 3 Hits
Destroyer = 3 Hits
Battleship = 4 Hits
Carrier = 5 hits

Grid caches that indicate hits will provide clues as in this example: HIT: N = 6, 1. Remember to record those clues as they are necessary to find the 5 ship mystery caches. View those cache pages for more information. They are named:
KC Battleship: Carrier GC35381
KC Battleship: Battleship GC35HVE
KC Battleship: Destroyer GC3607F
KC Battleship: Submarine GC366CK
KC Battleship: Patrol Boat GC35VKH

You Sank My Battleship!!!

KC Battleship

Saving and printing the map image above will help you keep track of completed squares and found hits. Just as in Battleship, when you’ve found a hit, you know another must be in one of the squares to the left, right, above or below.

***PLEASE READ*** A lot of time, planning and effort by several of your fellow geocachers has gone into making this set of 100+ caches a reality. PLEASE do not post any spoiler photos or logs that would give a clue to a hit or miss. If you do, you will be contacted and asked to edit your log. Also sharing information with other cachers or asking for it is discouraged, so we ask that you please don't. Besides it's obvious when someone has taken shortcuts. Keep the fun in the game but most of all have fun!!!

Nice easy one you should have no problems with this one!
mnfishnutz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know if other states have done this or what not or if it has already been mentioned:

A game that could work would consist of 10 - 20 trackables spread throughout the state. They would be played with in capture the flag style by counties (the metro may need more division) whereas the goal is to gather the trackables into one's county. It would promote the hiding of good caches since those are the best way to keep trackables out of reach of the other counties.

This game could also be played in hot potato fashion in which you want to get the trackables out of your county, but this would not be as fun since cache owners know where there puzzle caches and multis are hidden and therefore don't have to do the work to get a trackable out of their cache as a cacher who is trying to take it to another county would have to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Cache Games All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: