MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New game?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates on the new game?
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this has taken so long.

After many requests from gc.com, a certified letter, and several back door attempts I am happy to report that we have finally broken though and I got to speak to the great big head at gc.com.

It is now in the works for the MnGCA to have an official gc.com use permit for geocache data in support of our MnGCA Cache Game.

The details are being finalized but if approved this will allow us to have automated tracking for our cache game leader board.

A big w00t goes out to everyone at gc.com for considering us for this.
MrRogersNghbor
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the eventual outcome of this? Did anything ever come to fruition?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrRogersNghbor wrote:

No.

Merkman left the organization for other (IMHO good) reasons, so it never was finished.
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where was this left off? Did MnGCA get permission to use gc.com data for a game (in previous posts it sounded like they did, but details were still being worked out)?

If so could we still use that for this game or a different one?

I might be interested in making an attempt (but I'd go with anyone else first if they were interested - I'd only be able to work on it in my free time which isn't very frequent), but I'd need to know the details of what the game was going to be and I'd want to write it in Java instead of PHP (and I don't know if MnGCA.org service provider has an application server for java programs).

It's been a while since I've done any programming and was trying to decide between a few projects to get familiar with the newer technology, maybe I could try this for that project.

Of course I wouldn't start until I've hidden my first cache... any week now...
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
MrRogersNghbor wrote:

No.

Merkman left the organization for other (IMHO good) reasons, so it never was finished.

I don't want to turn the direction of this thread away from the cache game but I feel compelled to clarify after I received a PM. Merkman left for some valid (albeit sad and frustrating) reasons in which he made some comments that many felt were not proper, after which he was hounded until he left.
MrRogersNghbor
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was not my intention to drudge up past conflicts but thank you for clarifying. I would like to see where we are at and look at the possibility of what we can do from here.

First of all, can someone give me a little background on the laker games?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msteffel wrote:
Where was this left off? Did MnGCA get permission to use gc.com data for a game (in previous posts it sounded like they did, but details were still being worked out)?

If so could we still use that for this game or a different one?

I might be interested in making an attempt (but I'd go with anyone else first if they were interested - I'd only be able to work on it in my free time which isn't very frequent), but I'd need to know the details of what the game was going to be and I'd want to write it in Java instead of PHP (and I don't know if MnGCA.org service provider has an application server for java programs).

It's been a while since I've done any programming and was trying to decide between a few projects to get familiar with the newer technology, maybe I could try this for that project.

Of course I wouldn't start until I've hidden my first cache... any week now...

I'll try and remember to email you this afternoon about this.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msteffel wrote:

I checked the steadfast.net website and it doesn't mentioned Java support for shared hosting packages. I love Java but I think we wanted to try and stick with PHP since it is more common and would be easier to find volunteers who know PHP. I know merkman has already done some of the programming in PHP but hadn't used it much before this.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread is more than a year old I was wondering if anything more has been done with this? I enjoyed the contest in '07 I believe it was and haven't seen anything since. There was talk but nothing ever materialized. Anyone have any idea if this is dead in the water or is there a chance that some type of game can be created?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress on the game is slow and sporatic. The current version of it, if I recall correctly, has MUCH of the coding done, but it hasn't been finished. It's being done by a volunteer (not me) that works on it when able.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut and paste from "Spring Fundraiser" thread.

"seeingitdifferent wrote:
I do like the idea of a MNGCA Trackable window cling.

Wrong place and wrong time, but just a thought: How about a NEW GAME with MNGCA trackable window clings that we all would have to purchase, and then over the course of a year you see how many you can find out and about while caching or whenever. Log online and have a scoreboard on this website keeping tally.

IMHO, this could be fun."
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great idea! May get more people to events to walk the parking lot too.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby4 wrote:
Cut and paste from "Spring Fundraiser" thread.

"seeingitdifferent wrote:
I do like the idea of a MNGCA Trackable window cling.

Wrong place and wrong time, but just a thought: How about a NEW GAME with MNGCA trackable window clings that we all would have to purchase, and then over the course of a year you see how many you can find out and about while caching or whenever. Log online and have a scoreboard on this website keeping tally.

IMHO, this could be fun."

Love it!
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General idea:

Anytime you see another cacher at a cache/event/supermarket... you look at their vehicle and take down their license plate number. Go to MNGCA.org "Games" tab for "Cache Me If You Can" or "I See You" or whatever the name would be (have an online name submission and poll to name it) and enter the plate number you saw. Once logged into the website and game, up would pop up your total finds of other cachers. If the plate you entered was a registered geocacher, only their Geocaching name would pop up and give you another point in the game. Game could run monthly, quarterly, biannually or annually.

Some thoughts on this game idea:

1) No purchase necessary to play, but buying a window cling makes it a lot easier and also promotes the MNGCA to the public.

2) Have people who want to play or even just want to be found send in the plate numbers for the vehicles in their households. This way incase they are caching in any of them they can be "found".

3) Have the window cling state WWW.MNGCA.ORG/CACHEME or whatever the name would be, so that it will bring in new people as well. Okay, maybe some logo artwork as well.

4) Hopefully people won't get hung up on giving someone controlling the game their license plate number. Pretty basic info, and the only thing they have to give up with it is their Geocaching name.

5) It would be fun also to have a live chat or forum type posting on the game page where people could write about their find/catch.

6) I'm not a computer person, but this seems like a pretty easy thing to set up if you are a computer person???

Any thoughts, pros and cons, or any interest?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Cache Games All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: