MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache of the Month nominations needed!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Cache of the Month nominations needed! Reply with quote

I have taken over the posting of Cache of the Month nominations and I am asking for your help in keeping it alive Smile If you could please submit your nominations to me by January 24th, 2005 I would greatly appreciate it.

You can submit them via PM through MNGCA.org or email them to me directly. While images are not required they do add a certain something that sometimes cannot be expressed in words Smile

Rules and guidelines for nomination are over Arrow here. January Cache of the Month voting is going on right now over Arrow here. Please cast your vote now!

Last edited by Marsha and Silent Bob on Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: February Cache of the Month nominations needed! Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I have taken over the posting of Cache of the Month nominations and I am asking for your help in keeping it alive Smile If you could please submit your nominations to me by January 24th, 2005 I would greatly appreciate it.

Only 10 days left for submissions. Make sure you get them in to me by the 24th. We've had only a single submission so far. Please help to keep the COTM alive! Smile
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think asking people to submit a few paragraphs telling about their favorite cache would be better than a vote. Then, once a month, you can print one of the submissions. When you start to get low on submissions, ask again for people to submit.

Just my two cents,

tomslusher
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea. The Wisconsin group seems to do a good job of it but for some reason they seem to have more active cachers that are involved in the organization.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Another problem with the voting as it is now is that it is hard for people who haven't done a cache to vote for it. For example, if I nominate a cache in the Duluth area, most of the folks in the Twin Cities haven't done it, and virtually no one else outside of the Twin Cities. If you nominate a cache in the Twin Cities, most of the people in the outlying areas haven't done it.

I honestly don't participate in the vote (or even read the nominations unless they are ones I have done, which are very few and far between) because of this.

My $0.02.

- Pear Head
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearhead, that goes for me too. I can't vote for or against a cache unless I have visited it. This round is the first time I have seen at least two of the caches, let alone all three. So this is one of the few times I have voted.

tomslusher
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility would be to have several Caches Of The Year rather than a Cache Of The Month. This would allow for much more time to visit, nominate and evaluate caches. Different categories could be introduced, for example, Most Scenic Cache, Most Creatively Hidden Cache, Cleverest Puzzle Cache, Most Educational Cache. Separate awards could be given for caches placed within the last year. Maybe some further brainstorming would be in order if this seems like a worthwhile idea to enough people.
Having frequent articles on a especially noteworthy caches would still be a welcome feature on this site. Rather than trying to make a voted-on award out of it the articles could simply be written by any cacher who feels a cache is, well, especially noteworthy. It may turn out that some months would see no submissions while there may be three in one week at busier times of the year. I would think it would be easy to create a separate forum dedicated exclusively to this if there's enough interest.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... an awards ceremony....I see another excuse for a get sauced event!
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only received one nomination for February's COTM. I will hold on to it until we receive more. Perhaps every other month Sad

Thanks for your submission pogopod, I appreciate it.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nominations for the April 2005 COTM are due March 24th. You can contact me through the MnGCA private messaging, through geocaching.com, or through personal email.

The theme for April's COTM will be Scenic Views. Your submission must either include a photo of the view or link to a photo of the view. Feel free to ask any questions here.

Thanks to all those that nominated caches for March.

Edit: I had March instead of April Sad
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still looking for nominations for April 2005's COTM (Scenic Views). If you have a cache you visited that has a scenic view and you have a picture of it please write up a short blurb and either PM or e-mail me the writeup and the picture.

I know that s4xton and Moe the Sleaze have ones to submit Wink
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is the deadline for April 2005 COTM nominations.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have probably read, Silent Bob has stepped down as the Cache Of The Month coordinator. I am going to take over and (try to) fill his shoes.

First off, thanks much to Silent Bob for keeping the COTM idea going.

Second, as many of you know, there is currently a poll in progress regarding the future/direction of COTM. If you haven't voted already, I encourage you to please do so.

Third, while waiting for the final outcome of the vote, I am going to take nominations for the May COTM. If you have a nomination, please email it to me or send it to me via a private message in the forums (preferred).

Nominations are due April 22.

After this month we'll make adjustments (if any) to follow what the majority would like to see in COTM and go from there. Thanks for your support!

- Pear Head
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminder that nominations are due on the 22nd this month. Please send me a private message here or email your nominations.. mw.pear.head@gmail.com

Thanks!
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I am going to take nominations for the May COTM.

Thanks for taking this over! It is very cool that you're willing to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: