MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vote for Cache of the Month!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Cache Should Be Cache of the Month?
Tribute to King Boreas' 1000 Cache Hides
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Possum Lodge
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
Rocky Top
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
"COMPANION CACHE"
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
LAIR
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
3 Billy Goats Gruff
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 24

CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember everyone that not winning doens't mean it isn't a worthy cache sometimes its who you come up against for other cahces. Bflentje there were several worth caches on that list that I had done personally and a few I had not, it doesn't take away from the great experience of yours.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
Let me make clear how I feel my role as administrator of COTM is done. I am mearly the person who does the keystrokes to get the nominations up on the board to be voted on and the winner to Pear Head to be posted. I edit only for spelling or to fit the format we use.

I don't have any right and choose not to tell someone they can not nominate a cache, either if the self nominate or if someone feels it isn't a worthy cache. Censorship because of my opinion is not something I am into. I am willing to entratain serious questions about a caches nomination ONLY in the open where everyone has input and ONLY if someone else tells me they have a concern and it MUST be a legitimate concern, not because someone didn't think it was worthy or they didn't like it.

As I have told you in PM, I agree 100% with this and to those people who are giving you grief about how YOU choose to run COTM: bah!

I was simply expressing my displeasure with those that didn't take the time to check the cache page (every cache that's been nominated has a listing on the cache page) or who decided it would be cool to nominate themselves.

Cache on Camo.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
CamoCacher wrote:
Let me make clear how I feel my role as administrator of COTM is done. I am mearly the person who does the keystrokes to get the nominations up on the board to be voted on and the winner to Pear Head to be posted. I edit only for spelling or to fit the format we use.

I don't have any right and choose not to tell someone they can not nominate a cache, either if the self nominate or if someone feels it isn't a worthy cache. Censorship because of my opinion is not something I am into. I am willing to entratain serious questions about a caches nomination ONLY in the open where everyone has input and ONLY if someone else tells me they have a concern and it MUST be a legitimate concern, not because someone didn't think it was worthy or they didn't like it.

As I have told you in PM, I agree 100% with this and to those people who are giving you grief about how YOU choose to run COTM: bah!

I was simply expressing my displeasure with those that didn't take the time to check the cache page (every cache that's been nominated has a listing on the cache page) or who decided it would be cool to nominate themselves.

Cache on Camo.

Thanks SB. I will make sure I do add that to my checks, this is definatly an evolving and learning process.

To everyone I am sorry if I sound harsh or (edited for language) or ??? in this post, it has nothing to trully do with any of you, stuff is going on in my life right now that is majorly stressful and hopefully I will be able to share with all of you in the coming future. This stuff has unfortuantly kept me from pasttimes such as caching that keep me more level headed.

(edited by dachebo, 6:33PM - 1/26/07)
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I've determined about COTM:

1) SB is a highly opinionated Yeti who you just need to take with a grain of salt...just because he says something doesn't always make it true...

2) I've also in the past hesitated to vote on COTM because I hadn't done the caches, but I realized that part of the reason FOR a cache of the month is to highlite good caches around MN that people SHOULD do. Therefore I've started trying to vote based on the descriptions given...and in the future I'll probably run through the bookmark list to go and find all the winners and nominees at some point.

3) Camo's doing what seems to be a thankless job at the moment, and trying her best...although even I'll admit she does seem to miss some obvious things sometimes (hint: there's this bookmark list on the cache page listing "winners" if it's won before) Laughing Wink

4) We (MNGCA) have a LOT of lurkers who just visit but don't say much...so at times it may LOOK like there are only a few loudmouths running the place...but the loudmouths don't run things...we're just loud Cool

I'm impressed at the number of nominee's this month. I was going to nominate one but it's currently disabled, and until it's fixed I don't want to send people after it...so I'll see where it's at next month. But from the descriptions, it really looks like we've got some good caches, and just because one doesn't win that doesn't mean its not a good cache, it just means it had competition.

Sorry, had to babble and get at least one dig at SB in here Wink

Celticwulf
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
This stuff has unfortuantly kept me from pasttimes such as caching that keep me more level headed.

Wait...you've been level headed??? when did that happen? Shocked

Laughing
CW
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:

I thought you just had to get a dig in on me but there you go dragging poor Camo into it too!

BTW, you're ugly Wink
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
CamoCacher wrote:
This stuff has unfortuantly kept me from pasttimes such as caching that keep me more level headed.

Laughing
CW

Bite Me CW! Twisted Evil
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
celticwulf wrote:

I thought you just had to get a dig in on me but there you go dragging poor Camo into it too!

BTW, you're ugly Wink

It makes him feel better about his tights! Shocked
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years ago, I said wrote:
The whole concept of COTM started to rub me the wrong way the more I thought about it and the discussion here has only made me feel stronger that way.

That said, I would like to make a proposal for your consideration...

Eliminate the COTM concept altogether and replace it with a new area on this board for people to submit write-ups about caches that really excite them for whatever reason. Each cache would have its own thread for follow-on discussion but the threads would me moderated to keep them on topic. People could submit as many cache write-ups as they want, as often as they want.

And I still feel that way today.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Two years ago, I said wrote:
The whole concept of COTM started to rub me the wrong way the more I thought about it and the discussion here has only made me feel stronger that way.

That said, I would like to make a proposal for your consideration...

Eliminate the COTM concept altogether and replace it with a new area on this board for people to submit write-ups about caches that really excite them for whatever reason. Each cache would have its own thread for follow-on discussion but the threads would me moderated to keep them on topic. People could submit as many cache write-ups as they want, as often as they want.

And I still feel that way today.

Hmmm...I like the concept, but that would only really help people who come to this forum alone. I've always seen the COTM concept as something helpful to people coming into MN from outside, and they can see the bookmark list link to show them what the COTM winners are...or even for non-MNGCA members. Not to say that the concept of the forum here isn't bad, but it just doesn't seem that usefull for outsiders...which I see the current COTM system as somewhat helping.

But then again, I'm usually just in my own little world, so my opinion means squat at times...

CW
DLHCacher
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the COTM concept. As far as voting, I have done one on this month's list and really enjoyed it. I have done none of the others. I could rely on the opinions of other cachers but choose not to. COTM runs fine without my vote.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:

I like that idea, but we don't have to eliminate the COTM to do it.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
I like that idea, but we don't have to eliminate the COTM to do it.

You want to be in charge of it and moderate the forum? Just let me know!
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Jonas of Jonas and Julia has offered to take over and revamp the COTM. He will take over as soon as this months COTM is completed. Welcome him into this endeavor as you did when PearHead and I made our changeover.

(spelling edited by dachebo 3:55PM)
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
Things I've determined about COTM:

1) SB is a highly opinionated Yeti who you just need to take with a grain of salt...just because he says something doesn't always make it true...

2) I've also in the past hesitated to vote on COTM because I hadn't done the caches, but I realized that part of the reason FOR a cache of the month is to highlite good caches around MN that people SHOULD do. Therefore I've started trying to vote based on the descriptions given...and in the future I'll probably run through the bookmark list to go and find all the winners and nominees at some point.

3) Camo's doing what seems to be a thankless job at the moment, and trying her best...although even I'll admit she does seem to miss some obvious things sometimes (hint: there's this bookmark list on the cache page listing "winners" if it's won before) Laughing Wink

4) We (MNGCA) have a LOT of lurkers who just visit but don't say much...so at times it may LOOK like there are only a few loudmouths running the place...but the loudmouths don't run things...we're just loud Cool

I'm impressed at the number of nominee's this month. I was going to nominate one but it's currently disabled, and until it's fixed I don't want to send people after it...so I'll see where it's at next month. But from the descriptions, it really looks like we've got some good caches, and just because one doesn't win that doesn't mean its not a good cache, it just means it had competition.

Sorry, had to babble and get at least one dig at SB in here Wink

Celticwulf

Just my $.02 worth:

1) SB opinionated? Nah...

2) I will not vote for any cache I haven't been to. How can I make a decision on a description?

3) Welcome to the MnGCA world, Camo. When you do work here, you take heat. That's life. I don't agree with it. You're doing a great job, thanks!

4) CW is definitely a loud mouth!

BTW, a completely unrelated topic, anyone interested in another poker run this year?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: