MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vote for Cache of the Month!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Cache Should Be Cache of the Month?
Tribute to King Boreas' 1000 Cache Hides
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Possum Lodge
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
Rocky Top
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
"COMPANION CACHE"
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
LAIR
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
3 Billy Goats Gruff
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 24

CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Vote for Cache of the Month! Reply with quote

Patrick (I am sorry don't have the caching name) would like to nominate the cache GCYNXX
Tribute to King Boreas' 1000 Cache Hides
by TecGeoJim. The cache will take some time to do, I took about 4hrs and enjoyed the hunt. You will find the cache to be well thought out and FUN.

Marsha and Silent Bob would like to nominate the cache GCZWMA Possum Lodge by Good Neighbors for Cache of the Month. I have been continually disappointed by the caches that newer cachers place around the metro but during a morning run through Bloomington's newer hides, I came across one that was nearly perfect in every way. While Moe might feel it was like caching in someone's backyard and while someone else might complain that it was difficult to find parking if you didn't read the cache page, I felt that it was by far the best cache I have done in the metro in ages. A true "hidden gem" of a park that I had not yet been introduced to in Bloomington. Tucked away inconspicuously behind some very nice homes, this park offered a true wilderness setting that was undisturbed by the usual over-development of park areas.
A simple animal trail leads you to the cache (a .50 cal ammo box!) which gives you ample time to sit down and enjoy the surroundings with some photos or a nice log. If only more people took the time to hide a larger than usual cache in an area like this, I might be willing to do more caches in the metro. Thanks to Good Neighbors (and many others in the Bloomington area) for bringing caching back to what it used to be. A nice walk in a nice park with a regular sized cache to find at the end of the trail.

Loneeagle_24 would like to toot his own horn if I may and nominate my cache GCGQEC Rocky Top for cache of the month. There have been very few finds of this cache due to the remote area it is in. This cache is not that difficult to find, but getting to the cache is the interesting part. This cache has been in place for over three years now and only has 10 finds. The cache is one of my favorite hides to date. Of the ones that have found the cache I have had nothing but positive comments about the placing of it and the wonderful view of the surrounding area. There are many granite rock outcroppings in the area. This cache is on a couple of cachers list of their all time favorite caches as well. It is not reccomended to look for this one in the winter as the road into the area is not plowed in the winter. There is also a creek to cross prior to getting to the cache site. Cache is located in an out of the way park, that has a little history as well. If you read some of the links in one cachers logs from this cache you can read the story about the area. If you are in the area I would highly recommend visiting this cache. There are other caches in the area but this is by far the best one of them.

Sir Z_Man would like to nominate GCZWG5 "COMPANION CACHE" by Mutsley and Crew. It was a nice sized cache hidden in a great area.

Red Devil_35 (I second this) would like to nominate the cache GC5D2D Lair by ka0atu. It is a great hike, and a spectacular view, well worth the time and the effort! Our group spent at least an hour exploring the area after the 45 min jaunt over to collect this cache. The geosniffer, Robbie, thought the smells were interesting and running up and down the hills were invigorating. This is a MUST do!

Pear Head would like to nominate the cache GCZAFF 3 Billy Goats Gruff by DKMurphy
With little snow in the Duluth area (and everywhere else) this winter,
I headed out to do this non-winter friendly cache in the end of
December. The cache had been on my small to-do list for a while but I
was never able to find the time to actually do it.
After parking at the suggested parking coordinates (which are always a
nice feature), I hiked up a section of the Superior Hiking Trail that
winds through the Duluth hillside. This was a section I never even
knew existed, much less traveled. I had an impression (which I later
learned to be wrong) that the first stage of this multi-cache was on
the trail, so I hiked quite a ways past the turn-off spot before I
realized that the trail wasn't bringing me any closer to the first
stage. After turning back and heading down the trail to the proper
turn-off spot, I headed cross-country for a few hundred feet to the
first stage site. I was greeted with some good views of a city I
don't mind seeing over and over again. Once of the nice features
about living in Duluth is the fact that there are hundreds if not
thousands of views, all a little different, that overlook the city.
This cache brought me to yet another one of these (and again without a
camera). After finding the first stage, which was cleverly hidden (and took me more time than I'd like to admit to find), I was off to find stage 2
with very little time left before I had to make it to work. I ended
up coming back to stage 2 in the dark with EskoClimber after I had a
pretty good idea of where it was (based on where I didn't look).
After locating the second stage it was a quick jaunt further down the
hill to locate the ammo can that is placed a little off the trail.
It's still nice to find ammo cans in the woods, isn't it? Thanks DKMurphy for an outstanding cache - it combines some great
views of the city, a little bit of hiking, some creative hiding, along
with an ammo can at the end. All of what I like to see in a cache!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self-nomination for one and a previous nominee/winner for another? Rolling Eyes
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:

Thanks for pointing out that Lair has already one SB...I actually was quickly going to vote for it before reading because I know hearing from everyone it's on my list to do sometime...but since it's already won, I figure we've already made our point known so we should let another win now.

CW
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to get sarcastic about this SB!! There have been others that have nominated their own cache in previous months. I questioned this early and was told it was OK.

What I don't understand is how a cache that has already won once can get nominated again Question Question
DLHCacher
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never feel I can vote when I ahve only visited on of the nominees.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed that it had won before. I do not check that info.

SB if you think you can do a better job you are more then welcome to it and if you have a problem with how something is run a PM is a much better way to do it. Loneeagle emailed me about his concern and I had told him it was okay because others had done the same thing.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
You don't have to get sarcastic about this SB!! There have been others that have nominated their own cache in previous months. I questioned this early and was told it was OK.

loneeagle, please do list those that were self nominated so I can voice my displeasure about those too. I personally think that all of my caches are great and many of them have had very few visits (for being in the metro area) but you don't see me nominating them myself.

Personally, I thought that your Joseph R. Brown Memorial cache, which has 11 finds since 7/14/03, is a much more worthy cache for nomination than ROCKY TOP (which I have also found). But that's just my personal opinion.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLHCacher wrote:
I never feel I can vote when I ahve only visited on of the nominees.

DLH please feel free to vote, Voting should be based on the description of a cache of the month in question.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be some confusion on how to vote for cache of the month. You may vote on any cache of the month even if you have not done the cache. Voting may be based on your experience doing the cache or based on the description provided by the nominator. So please everyone vote for COTM.
DLHCacher
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey, I am a terrible speller!
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:

loneeagle, please do list those that were self nominated so I can voice my displeasure about those too. I personally think that all of my caches are great and many of them have had very few visits (for being in the metro area) but you don't see me nominating them myself.

Personally, I thought that your Joseph R. Brown Memorial cache, which has 11 finds since 7/14/03, is a much more worthy cache for nomination than ROCKY TOP (which I have also found). But that's just my personal opinion.

Nov had one.

Edited because I am to grumpy and it came out wrong

Last edited by CamoCacher on Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:

What I don't understand is how a cache that has already won once can get nominated again Question Question

I did a self nomination a few months back and it got snubbed. I tried not to take it seriously and I was fine with the outcome. The logs of the cache tell the real story.

CLARIFICATION:
Usage of the word snub isn't meant to make any judgements about voters. That's just how I felt. For all I know, my cache sucked and the winning cache deserved the win. Rolling Eyes
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me make clear how I feel my role as administrator of COTM is done. I am mearly the person who does the keystrokes to get the nominations up on the board to be voted on and the winner to Pear Head to be posted. I edit only for spelling or to fit the format we use.

I don't have any right and choose not to tell someone they can not nominate a cache, either if the self nominate or if someone feels it isn't a worthy cache. Censorship because of my opinion is not something I am into. I am willing to entratain serious questions about a caches nomination ONLY in the open where everyone has input and ONLY if someone else tells me they have a concern and it MUST be a legitimate concern, not because someone didn't think it was worthy or they didn't like it.

Membership votes on thier opinion based on either having done the cache or by the description of the writer.

At anytime if someone thinks they can do a better job I'll step aside and let them. I do the COTM because I like giving back to the Geocaching community. I freely give up my own time to do so and to monitor. I am always looking to improve the system and am open to constructive advice but sniping I am not willing and won't entertain. If you have advice or a question PM or email me.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:

I DID IT. I felt embarrased (for about two minutes) to do so but thought with the reaction it was getting in the field that it should have been a nominee. I got slaughtered in the voting... I guessed it was because of the self nomination. Ho hum.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
Let me make clear how I feel my role as administrator of COTM is done. I am mearly the person who does the keystrokes to get the nominations up on the board to be voted on and the winner to Pear Head to be posted. I edit only for spelling or to fit the format we use.

I don't have any right and choose not to tell someone they can not nominate a cache, either if the self nominate or if someone feels it isn't a worthy cache. Censorship because of my opinion is not something I am into. I am willing to entratain serious questions about a caches nomination ONLY in the open where everyone has input and ONLY if someone else tells me they have a concern and it MUST be a legitimate concern, not because someone didn't think it was worthy or they didn't like it.

Membership votes on thier opinion based on either having done the cache or by the description of the writer.

At anytime if someone thinks they can do a better job I'll step aside and let them. I do the COTM because I like giving back to the Geocaching community. I freely give up my own time to do so and to monitor. I am always looking to improve the system and am open to constructive advice but sniping I am not willing and won't entertain. If you have advice or a question PM or email me.

No complaints here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: