MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I understanding this correctly?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danvandanne
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Am I understanding this correctly? Reply with quote

A nearby benchmark is described "DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934 IN CLONTARF. AT THE CLONTARF PUBLIC SCHOOL. SET IN THE SOUTHWEST CORNER OF THE BUILDING, IN THE SEVENTH COURSE OF BRICK ABOVE THE WATER TABLE, 2 FEET NORTH OF THE CORNER OF THE BUILDING."

If I am understanding this, then the BM is part of the foundation right? If so then it is destroyed since they demolished the school years ago. Am I right?
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds logical. I don't do these very often but I have done a few and have marked them destroyed if they are obvious. I know of one in Madison that was this same basic thing. The item described is no longer standing and the are is now a playground. I marked it destroyed. That is what I would do in this instance.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, pretty common to find them in public buildings. As I recall, unless you find the mark laying loose on the ground you should log it as "Mark not found". One of the little quirks of the USGS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Benchmarking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: