MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coyotes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeltaMikeAlpha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Coyotes Reply with quote

In case people haven't noticed, there have been a couple of articles recently regarding coyotes in and around the metro area. Although I am not aware of any serious incidents, it sounds like they are losing their fear of humans. I have seen one while out caching in Joy Park in the NE metro area and 5 were recently trapped in Laddie Lake Park in Blaine where I have placed a cache. Take care out there.

A recent article:

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/899504.html
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been a nuisance in the Metro area for a number of years, especially in parks. Their mating season is in January and continues into February and that's when they are most aggressive.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snapshots/mammals/coyote.html
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when is Yetis mating season? Razz
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

former hawkeye wrote:
So when is Yetis mating season? Razz

Anytime but MOGA! Laughing
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yeti's mating season is when Mrs. Yeti says its mating season.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:
The Yeti's mating season is when Mrs. Yeti says its mating season.

You mean "never".
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deal with moose walking down my driveway to take a drink in the lake, how about deer running past my window and going up on the road and seeing fresh cougar tracks in the dirt? how about bear strolling within a few feet of me in my chair or a fox quietly passing by within a foot or two when I was in a swinging chair or a Martin hissing at me from a cedar tree outside my back door, or a cub bear tearing up our wood pile to get the ants while we sit about 6 ft away and drink our morning beverages - or wolves walking along the beach or lying on the ice sunning themselves? They are not invading us- we are invading their land- with the forests being harvested and dwellings being built- they are going to gravitate to urban areas where there is plenty of trash/garbage for them to eat. Lose their fear of humans? We are not on their food chain, they are on ours- and most of the time these animals will avoid humans when possible. For the times you do see a wild animal- there are many more you don't see because they saw you first and left. ah heck- I guess I have just lived in the woods too long- I fear a human more than any of those above animals-
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the people being more to worry about than the animals. I have to admit that I haven't seen a coyote while we have been out caching but have seen mountain lion tracks on the trail with us and rumor control says that wolves have been displaced from the parks (Yellowstone and Teton) out into the mountain ranges that we live by. I guess the moral of the story is the way to control coyotes is to bring in mountain lions and wolves. Grizzle bears will also keep coyotes away but also have to admit that they keep me away too so I guess I am no better than a coyote but am at least as smart as one Smile

Ron Gerth
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was walking throught the woods in SW metro two days ago when all of a sudden a coyote took off running away from me. She was only about four feet away and behind a tree when I must have scared her. After checking and confirming thankfully that my pants were still clean, I walked around the tree to see where she had been sleeping. Another shock was in store. The tree has a hole in it and a giant empty cavity inside. I take a slow moment to figure out that she must have been inside the tree. Just then, I saw something inside the tree move, and I almost lose it again thinking that another coyote is about to pile out of the tree and go Cujo on me. I then realized that the momma coyote had abandoned the tree in an attempt to draw my attention away from it. Inside the tree were four very very young newborn coyote pups not even able to walk yet. So of course I stick my camera up to the tree hole and snap a couple of shots before quickly getting out of the area. Thank goodnes daddy coyote wasn't in there!
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilby, love to see the pics if you wouldn't mind sharing.

In Eden Prairie, I've heard about them since I moved to EP little more than 4 years ago. In that time I've only seen them about 10 times though I hear them occasionaly at night. In Feb of 2007 my mother-in-law was up and threw some stale breakfast bars in the backyard, I saw 4 the next morning and 6 two days later. Other than that the only time I've only seen multiple coyotes twice and it's been two both times. I haven't had any issues with them - they've always scattered. The deer on the other hand tend to just stay and keep an eye on you. lol

I have a few shots at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/marksteffel/WildlifeOfEdenPrairie if people are interested.

According to the city and police, they haven't had any issues in Eden Prairie.
http://edenprairieweblogs.org/dancarlson/post/date/2006/02/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8WKGiTaMS0
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was geocaching in Lakeville last night after dark. After finishing up Arctic's cache we were heading back down the trail to the parking area. In the distance, between us and the opening in the woods to the parking lot, there were 5-6 coyotes standing about .15 in front of us. When (I think) they realized we were there they scattered around the other side of the small treeline, almost like they wanted to come back around at our flank. I doubt we were being hunted but it sure made us feel nervous for a bit.
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are really curious. They used to come up the edge of the fire when we were out (western ND) and hang to see what we were doing. Didn't see very aggressive but really smart and curious. They have a pretty high level of rabies in Texas but other than that they are just an all around, smart, rodent killing machine.

Ron
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I live we have coyotes all the time (not in the metro). We hear them yipping and talking at night and it's very nice.

At my parents' in north Anoka, I'd see them every once in a while. Not so much anymore. See more possums than anything. Bleh.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While walking Sam in Galloway Park yesterday, we watched a coyote cross the frozen Mississippi from the Anoka side to the Champlin side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: