MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Navicache vs Geocaching .com
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Navicache vs Geocaching .com Reply with quote

Anybody had any luck using the Navicache website for posting caches? Their site looks a lot less complicated. I am thinking of switching my caches to them and get out of geocaching.com
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Navicache vs Geocaching .com Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
Anybody had any luck using the Navicache website for posting caches? Their site looks a lot less complicated. I am thinking of switching my caches to them and get out of geocaching.com

Shocked

Please reconsider! The vast majority of 'cachers (myself included) only use geocaching.com. We'd hate to lose great caches like Trezona!

--towlebooth
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one can post their caches on both sites--I still prefer geocaching.com myself--more caches, more cachers to seek them, travel bugs, etc. make it preferable. Besides, I think Ramsey County Parks and Three Rivers Parks guidelines say that they only accept caches that are on gc.com.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: gc vs nc Reply with quote

Right now I am just plain pissed at them - stay tuned for further notes on this.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: PS Reply with quote

Glad you like the TREZONA cache. I have several caches in the Ely area and have had hits on them from all parts of the country. It is a bit frustrating though when a TBUG is placed, and then retrieved before the GCchers get home- it may be 2-3 weeks before they get home if they go to the cache before they go into the BW on a canoe trip and then have to get home to Texas or Calif- I am afraid I emailed some accusing them of kidnapping my bugs-before I realized that there is a time warp here- not like my cache in Chisago Lakes. I will be palcing another cache soon- and I know someone else is getting one set up- I will be disabling my Ely area caches for winter as I am afraid the extreme temps would wreck havoc on my thermos containers and it would just take one person to get to it in the snow and leave an easy trail for everyone else to follow- I also find that when I do maintainance on my caches-usually add my signiture pencils, there are many more loggers in the notebook than ever get to my cache page. There have been TBUGS that have been dropped off and picked up and not posted.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We liked Trezona a lot and hope to grab a couple more in Ely this weekend while visiting my father in Cook. See you on the trail,
--towlebooth
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: PS Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
it would just take one person to get to it in the snow and leave an easy trail for everyone else to follow

Not always the case -- sometimes the previous cacher leaves lots of footprints all over the place (depending on how good a reading they are getting) - not necessarily straight to the cache. I have followed footprints before and it is not a guarantee that a cache will be easily found.
Quote:
I also find that when I do maintainance on my caches..... there are many more loggers in the notebook than ever get to my cache page. There have been TBUGS that have been dropped off and picked up and not posted.

This is true of EVERY cache out there -- lots more people come and log the cache log than log the web log for various reasons. Also lots of people who are not adept at logging bugs visit caches everywhere. It is a very common problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always post our caches on both gc.com and navicache.com. If you don't do that, then you are ceding control of the entire sport to one person whose priorities seem out of whack to me.

Also, I have given up on posting virtuals on gc.com, since they have a prejudice against virtuals. I'm posting future virtuals only to navicache.com.

Now, if only people would stop posting gc.com subscriber-only caches. If we visit one of those, I can log it, but my kids can't.

-Rick
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: virtuals Reply with quote

I am sooooo glad that you wrote the entry about prejudice about virtuals on geocache. I so totally agree- I am glad it isn't just me- and the navicache people are so willing to work with me- it isn't just one person making the decision. I was turned down for a virtual on geocache and navitook it up right away. I had some questions about how to make up the questions to go with the cache- what would be best and they gave me anwers - I asked gc.com to work with me to take what I wanted and help me make it a legal virtual cache and got nothing. Navicache thought it was a very educational virtual cache-which it is- Your message assured me. Thank you. So the people at Buxley's said they would pick it up and list it as soon as it gets posted on navicache- I will make a general post on MnGCA.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not posted anything with Navicache myself. I look at it occasionally but have never logged. I suppose I ought to start looking there more often. Maybe placing a few over there as well.

There are some things I really like about the pages there.........
    First is the ability to see who is watching your cache. That is something I really really wish gc.com would incorporate.

I also really like the icons that tell if there is an entrance fee or if dogs are allowed or if a bathroom is available.

I also really like the fact that each cacher gets points for the difficulty or terrain of the cache rather than just one cache credit. I know lots of cachers who go for the harder and more complex caches and I think giving extra points for those would be fair. This is a much better option that what gc.com has done with dividing up our finds into categories.

Now if they would just find a better way to do the TBugs Wink than through their forums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now, if only people would stop posting gc.com subscriber-only caches

Ain't gonna happen, and if you don't know why, ask.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
Irvingdog
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, do you still have troll/muggle problems?

Who is this fool and why does God allow him to breathe?
Irvingdog
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, do you still have troll/muggle problems?

Who is this fool and why does God allow him to breathe?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my fingers crossed, I'll say I think it has ended. I have been changing some of the caches back, so anyone can go. I'll continue to list new ones, and *special* ones as *members-only*

If you're not a complete stranger, I will change them to allow you to log. If Dylan wants to tell me which caches he could not log, we can arrange it so that he's able.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
mtn-man
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: virtuals... the rest of the story Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
I asked gc.com to work with me to take what I wanted and help me make it a legal virtual cache and got nothing.

That is an out and out lie. I will be happy to post our correspondence here if you would like. Your answers were easily found on the Internet so I archived the cache. Rocks are pretty common as well. Your reply to my archive note was to threaten me with your lawyer. I replied to your emails and you never replied back. I did show the cache to the other admins as I said I would, and they have all agreed that it should not be listed. Here are the answers to your GC.com submitted cache:

I even said this in the original archive note:

"Virtual caches are going to change soon and you may be able to list this as a cache at that time. For now, it just does not seem to qualify as a virtual cache. Pillow basalt is found throughout the area."

I also asked you this question in my reply to you:

"You have a regular geocache about 0.10 miles away. It seems that a regular multi-cache could be done in this location since you already have an existing regular geocache 748 feet away. You have another one 1.5 miles away, another one 3.7 miles away and a third regular cache 4.2 miles away. Why not do a multi-cache?"

I think it is nice that most local forums stay nice and stay civil. If you are going to say things like this at least tell the truth. Like I say, I will be more than happy to post the full text of the messages here. I don't want this to turn into a flame topic in the local forums, but I also don't like being misrepresented.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: