MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arcticabn's GPS Knowledge Challenge Cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Arcticabn's GPS Knowledge Challenge Cache Reply with quote

OK guys/gals, I need to get a few more experienced cachers out looking at my cache. So far after the initial rough start that Slient Bob and whatsagps helped me find my error seems to be working just fine.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=106108

I need a couple of the more experience cachers to run this one and tell me whether it is worth spending my time building another like this in one of the other parks.

A cache like this doesn't get built over night. It took me more than a month and a half of planning to get this one in. I'm willing to build another (recommendations for knowledge challenges welcomed), but want to know that it will be worth my time. Other wise I can just start putting in single point or two point multicaches.

Your opinions and thoughts will be appreciated.

And hopefully, if I'm around for the next MNGCA meeting I'll be there to meet some of you all.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Arcticabn's GPS Knowledge Challenge Cache Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
A cache like this doesn't get built over night. It took me more than a month and a half of planning to get this one in. I'm willing to build another (recommendations for knowledge challenges welcomed), but want to know that it will be worth my time. Other wise I can just start putting in single point or two point multicaches.

I am always interested in attempting multis. I usually fail miserably just ask RJ and rickrich Wink

Please make it in the South Metro again... It was a real PITA having to drive over to Plymouth several times to get the Shout a Hip-Hooray cache completed Wink

Silent Bob
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't attempted to find this cache you speak of but will eventually. As far as placing another, go for it! I get just as much if not more enjoyment out of placing really tough hides as I do from finding them. So what if only 3 people find it a year...at least it's there with your name on it Smile!
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to do this cache with seabiskit and dyl1231, but they have not been up for much winter caching (wimp-kids). nonlinear-kelsey wants to do it, but she can't read. So most likely this will wait until Easter time, when we will be down that way to visit family.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
I want to do this cache with seabiskit and dyl1231, but they have not been up for much winter caching (wimp-kids). nonlinear-kelsey wants to do it, but she can't read. So most likely this will wait until Easter time, when we will be down that way to visit family.

Perhaps puppy school will help? Wink

Silent Bob
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a great idea. Just wish I got out to that end of town more often. Maybe next month when youngest does her U of M math class (Perental bragging, she's 11). I have a few hours to kill then. I've been using that time to do the river area and work on parts of "Diffeculty 15 stars", but hay this looks like fun. Go for it, do another, it's more fun than drive and grab. All I ask is that there is a reg' cache at the end, as the kids don't really like too many micros.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WicketsWanderingPonyPatro wrote:
All I ask is that there is a reg' cache at the end, as the kids don't really like too many micros.

There is a very large cache at the end stocked with quite a bit of goodies. It was certainly well worth the effort to complete it and I was VERY glad to be accompanied by both Articabn and whatsagps... If they weren't there I would have answered *at least* one wrong and ended up wandering around in the wrong part of the woods *again* but this time on my own accord Wink

It took us a little over two hours to complete, YMMV.

Silent Bob
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my broken hand is giving me a bad case of cabin fever, I'm ready to go out and see if I can buy a big left mitten that'll fit over my cast, then go seek out a challenging cache. Film canisters and tupperware (or rubbermaid) are okay, ammo cans are challenging, but I can get them open one-handed, but safety lids on pill bottles are the most challenging--as a side note, when I checked in to the ER with my hand, they put the plastic ID bracelet on the broken side, and then when I went to get my pain pills at the hospital pharmacy, they gave me a bottle with a safety lid (soon to probably become a micro cache after I'm back to my normal level of activity).
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
Since my broken hand is giving me a bad case of cabin fever, I'm ready to go out and see if I can buy a big left mitten that'll fit over my cast, then go seek out a challenging cache. Film canisters and tupperware (or rubbermaid) are okay, ammo cans are challenging, but I can get them open one-handed, but safety lids on pill bottles are the most challenging--as a side note, when I checked in to the ER with my hand, they put the plastic ID bracelet on the broken side, and then when I went to get my pain pills at the hospital pharmacy, they gave me a bottle with a safety lid (soon to probably become a micro cache after I'm back to my normal level of activity).

Obviously you must have been on your drugs when you posted this. I'm not quite sure what it has to do with the thread. Laughing
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
I'm not quite sure what it has to do with the thread. Laughing

yes it does..... You asked in your original post for some experienced cachers to go hunt your cache.... Matt is one of the best at GPS navigation in our area. Probably why he posted the reason he had put it off and also posted that he was ready to give it a try.

He is finally ready to be out and about and find some caches. He WILL be able to open the altoid tins and the ammo box one handed, but the caches that are pill bottles are too difficult.

The rest is just an update on his condition....
Glad to see you are feeling a bit better Matt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
Glad to see you are feeling a bit better Matt.

Hitting a lot of your caches 15T I was worried that you had fallen off the face of Geocaching. Glad to see it's only a temporary issue and that you are recovering rapidly!

Silent Bob
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this is why I need to get to a group grope. I need to put a face and experience behind the name. Thanks for the explaniation.

I appoligize to you 15Tango. As a forum moderator on a couple of other boards I tend to try to keep things on thread.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No apology necessary--I forgot to state that your cache looks like a good challenge to get back into caching after I get my cast off. OT again, but have you (or anyone else on these forums) ever actually used a PLGR (military GPS) for navigation? All I've used one for is the time-hack--I've found my eTrex, or plain ol' map, compass, and protractor, to be much more user friendly when it comes to navigation.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I've used a PLGR. Don't like them. To heavy and to difficult to use. It's rugged as heck and great in vehicles with a nav system. The newer digitized vehicles have them.

On the other hand the latest version of the Land Warrior system has a built in moving map system that I really like. You still need to know how to read a topo map but your location and the locations of all of your squad members are live on the map. Add that with NVGs and we really do a great job at night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: