MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocaching in the winter?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter caching for me comes naturally. Considering I got into it to practice for my other favorite winter pasttime, only makes sense.

Heh, I rember the first cache I found on my own. -15 outside, I'm looking at a mapquest map of the park as I didn't have a GPSr yet, took me 2 hours to find a simple hide, but I sure had fun with it anyway, and I got to test my cold weather gear.

Funnier was running into JT on my way out, I'm sure he found the cache in 2 minutes considering he had a GPS.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RubberToes"]
Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
RubberToes wrote:

My two most memorable caching experiences with fresh snow were during an FTF hunt on a RubberToes cache at 4:45AM: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=28e67313-ca66-491a-8d11-758969e3ce1b

That one was memorable for me, too. This was my first cache placement early in my caching career. I placed and submitted one afternoon, then it started snowing. At the time, I didn't realize anyone cached in the snow, so I didn't expect anyone to find it for days.

Imagine my surprise when I awoke at 6 the next morning to learn that it had already been approved, found and logged. These cachers must be crazy, I thought. Am I wrong?

Ain't this the truth, never follow the tracks if I've been there becasue I'll spend 15 mins making sure my tracks are well camoflauged and the cache location kept secret...ain't that right oneied cookie?!

Opps wrong on qouted Embarassed
A.B.E.L.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Garmin Venture this last weekend for SUPER cheap!

let the caching begin! hehe.
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From KB's Stupid Rules cache:

Winter caching rocks!
Finding trinkets under snow
Now, shut up and cache!

As long as you're bundled up, winter caching is, IMO, more fun than summer caching for many of the reasons listed above. This from a SoCal native!
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "winter" been great! Last December I only got 1 cache and 1 DNF icy bath when attempting another one. This month I have 15 and those last 5 in Fertile, Minnesota were so fun walking/hiking in the woods with a friend and her dog and there wasn't another soul-now that is really fun. Laughing
It might have something to do with I stink at finding micros that are cleverly hidden. Embarassed

Less tough micros and more hikes!!!! This granny needs the exercise.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jambro wrote:

Winter caching rocks!
Now, shut up and cache!

Hey, it's a caching Haiku!!!!
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent two hours digging for the 100th Anniversary cache last winter up in Duluth. It made the find all the sweeter! I have found that many winter caches are not too buried since the locations often have natural wind breaks from drifts or are under trees, etc, that block the snow. This year, snow is not a problem! Caches can be hard to open though, so bring something to help you. If the cache might have a screwtop, it would be helpful to carry something with a rubber grip. I also love that there are fewer people, and perhaps the doggy can have a run.

Summer is too hot and too buggy for me. Spring is very muddy. I love fall the best!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tesser wrote:
If the cache might have a screwtop, it would be helpful to carry something with a rubber grip.

One thing to keep in mind is that when it's colder out it's possible to break the container. We've found this with the lids on the decon containers especially - you need to put them in your jacket and let them get good and warm before you try and open them, otherwise the lid will break, especially in sub-0 temps.
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5savages wrote:
jambro wrote:

Winter caching rocks!
Now, shut up and cache!

Hey, it's a caching Haiku!!!!

Exactly! It was one of the Stupid Rules. Unfortunately, the cache went missing.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've starting carry tools to chip caches out of their icy prisons. I recently broke two containers trying to get them free. One for sure, I think the other was broken by the ice but I certainly didn't do it any good.
After my finding my first cache in the winter, I've tried to make my hides resonably winter friendly. Doesn't always happen but I try. Depends on how evil the puzzle is.
As Pear Head mentioned, decon containers are great in the summer and are easily broken in the winter. Well not easily. They are a bear to open in the winter which results in a broken container. I broke one of those last year. Now I freeze my armpits in an effort to warm the container enough to open them. AND NO, I won't tell you which ones have my armpit juice on them.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]Now I freeze my armpits in an effort to warm the container enough to open them. AND NO, I won't tell you which ones have my armpit juice on them.
Quote:

I'll remember that and not pick these caches up in the future. I'l just log a DNF. Don't need to catch anything Wink Laughing

tbtroopers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just became a premium member this winter and am starting to go caching more now. My father (epsdoc) has just retired, and I can truly say that we have been having the time of our life caching this winter, right here in the good ol' frozen tundra!

The key to success, i believe, is to dress in layers, bring an energy bar and water (yes, we can work up a good sweat, even in winter), and always remember where you enter a large park or just mark the entry spot, (no one wants to get lost in the woods in the winter).
Happy Caching!
A.B.E.L.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my wife and I just completed our 4th cache yesterday! So far we're having an awesome time! This indeed is a great winter activity, gets ya off the couch and outside, just dress appropriately and your good to go. My only qualm with winter caching so far is it gets dark too early :/
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aberrix wrote:
My only qualm with winter caching so far is it gets dark too early :/

Use a flashlight.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell you how many caches I've done that have been:
- nearly midnight on a 40 degree day while it's raining.
- in the winter, at night, when it is 30 degrees below zero.
- in the spring, no jacket, at night, 30 degrees, and sleating.
- at dusk, in the fall or spring, 25 degrees, cache is on the other side of the swamp.
- heart rythm pills in the pocket, cache on the top of the bluff or mountain.

Would I give it up?? Never in a million years. Like they say about fishing.. A bad day caching is better than a good day working.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: