MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocaching in the winter?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A.B.E.L.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Geocaching in the winter? Reply with quote

My first post! Wink

I heard about geocaching from a buddy of mine last summer and never really read more about, a recent news article turned me on to it and I've been researching it and gps units the past couple of days. I think this is something myself and my family would very much enjoy especially during summer camping trips. I am borrowing a gps unit from a friend next week to give geocaching a try or two before plunking down the cash for a gps unit of my own.

My question is this, how feasible is geocaching in the twin cities during the winter? I am no wimp to MN winters so the elements are not an issue, but what about accessibility to caches? I am weary of getting all 'into it' during the winter months only to disappoint myself.

Do people stop caching in the winter? Could it be even better than the summer? (snowshoeing!) How does it differ from the summer? advice? complaints? stories?

Thanks in advance.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching in the winter? Reply with quote

Aberrix wrote:
My question is this, how feasible is geocaching in the twin cities during the winter? I am no wimp to MN winters so the elements are not an issue, but what about accessibility to caches? I am weary of getting all 'into it' during the winter months only to disappoint myself.

I do 90% of my caching in the winter months.

Quote:
Do people stop caching in the winter? Could it be even better than the summer? (snowshoeing!) How does it differ from the summer? advice? complaints? stories?

I stop caching in the summer. It differs from summer because there's snow, it's cold, and you sometimes have to dig. You also get better sat reception (no tree cover) and you don't sweat.

I have too many other things to do in the summer so I don't get to cache as much. In the winter there is little to do so caching is it Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess about 45% of my caching is during the winter months. The amount of trips taken is about the same as summer but in the winter the trips are a bit shorter due to cold feet, fingers, etc.

For winter caching it is important to keep an eye on cache attributes a tad more. And be sure to carry tools such as a pocket knife or a screw driver to you can chip and pry containers out of the ice.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time last year I began cacheing and absolutly loved the winter cacheing, got me out and off my butt and the dog loved the freedom of empty parks to run. Now after caching in Spring-fall I find that I prefer the warmer months, but at 130 lbs there isn't much to me to keep me warm and I generally refuse to put on a coat so that doesn't help. Each season has it advantages and disadvantages.

Winter + better reception, no bugs, empty parks to search freely, froizen ice to get to some of those island caches
Winter - snow, cold, wind, slippery, ice

Sumer + Heat, sun, shorts, tan, flowers, color
Summer - bugs, stinging nettles, weeds, extreme heat, to many people to search freely
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started caching in November of last year, so I found a lot of my early caches in winter. Look for caches that have the accessible in winter attribute (a snowflake icon). Otherwise they might be buried under snow and harder to find.
A.B.E.L.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
Look for caches that have the accessible in winter attribute (a snowflake icon). Otherwise they might be buried under snow and harder to find.

harder to find? or more fun? Razz
MN_Cavepeople
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching in the winter? Reply with quote

I completely agree with the pro-winter caching remarks. I found approx 100 caches per month in January, February and March last winter, but then it took me from April to November to find my next hundred. Spring/Summer is way to busy for me to do much caching, plus, I really like being out in the winter doing something.

I've rarely had problems finding anything because of snow. Many hides are high enough that snow isn't a problem, and if they are on the ground they are usually close to something (like a rock, tree or log) that either shelters it from being completely buried, helps the snow melt quickly around it, or it is an obvious beacon so you know right where to dig.

Watch for the "Available in Winter" icon and read the previous logs. If someone found it last weekend, and it hasnt snowed much since then, chances are you are going to be able to find it too. If many people have been posting DNFs for a month and there is still just as much snow, you might want to hold off until spring for that one (unless you really want the bragging rights!). Also, sometimes if the owner knows that the cache will be impossible (or unsafe) to find in winter they will put a note in the description or logs or they will disable the cache for the winter.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter caching is great. It's peaceful, quiet, and often quite beautiful. My fingers get pretty cold, so I've I'm going to be out for awhile and it's nippy, I pop a hand warmer in each mitten and I'm good to go for hours.

The lack of underbrush and tall grass can often be an advantage, too.

The way I see it, any day that the sun rises is a good day for caching.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose I can pipe up on this one too. I enjoy getting out in the winter and caching is a great reason to enjoy the outdoors (all year long). Winter caching has it's own challenges as mentioned above, and benefits also as mentioned above - heck depending upon snow depth and how long it has been on the ground you can even "follow the tracks" to ground zero. Depending upon how sneaky others are, those tracks will get you really close, sometimes not Shocked . Good luck on the adventures and have fun out there!!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RubberToes wrote:
Winter caching is great. It's peaceful, quiet, and often quite beautiful.

There is nothing better than a fresh snowfall hanging on tree limbs and covering the tracks of those that have set out hours before -- especially when you're on the hunt for a FTF.

My two most memorable caching experiences with fresh snow were during an FTF hunt on a RubberToes cache at 4:45AM: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=28e67313-ca66-491a-8d11-758969e3ce1b

And on a day of caching with Moe on our way to Worthington, we found a KB cache that was in an absolutely gorgeous park full of fresh snow: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=b658889c-083a-45eb-b1e2-25b3cf1db4fb

http://gallery.lazylightning.org/gc-20051204
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Marsha and Silent Bob"]
RubberToes wrote:

My two most memorable caching experiences with fresh snow were during an FTF hunt on a RubberToes cache at 4:45AM: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=28e67313-ca66-491a-8d11-758969e3ce1b

That one was memorable for me, too. This was my first cache placement early in my caching career. I placed and submitted one afternoon, then it started snowing. At the time, I didn't realize anyone cached in the snow, so I didn't expect anyone to find it for days.

Imagine my surprise when I awoke at 6 the next morning to learn that it had already been approved, found and logged. These cachers must be crazy, I thought. Am I wrong?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RubberToes wrote:
Am I wrong?

No Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RubberToes wrote:
Winter caching is great. It's peaceful, quiet, and often quite beautiful. My fingers get pretty cold, so I've I'm going to be out for awhile and it's nippy, I pop a hand warmer in each mitten and I'm good to go for hours.

The lack of underbrush and tall grass can often be an advantage, too.

The way I see it, any day that the sun rises is a good day for caching.

"A bad day caching is better than a good day working."
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
"A bad day caching is better than a good day working."

Ain't that the truth Smile
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started caching, back in Ď03, it never occurred to me to go out in the winter. But now Iím in agreement with everything here. And one other thing...bragging rights...no one ever brags about caching on a hot day. Thatís more like whining. But to brave the elements and go out and FTF a multi-cache when itís 16 below with -30 wind chill can make you feel like you really accomplished something extraordinary.

Disclaimer:
Please use caution when winter caching.
In extreme cold, the challenge can heightened significantly. Shocked
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: