MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Better GPSr - GPSMAP 60CSx vs. GPSMAP76CSx
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJJeffr
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Better GPSr - GPSMAP 60CSx vs. GPSMAP76CSx Reply with quote

I am finally looking to replace my Magellan with a Garmin. There are things I like about the Magellan series (ability to store multiple files of waypoints on the SD card), but I guess it is finally time to conform with most of the other geocaches.

MSPMatt and I have been debating the 60CSx vs 76CSx. Are there opinions out there on these units?

Thanks,
Jim
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only recommend the 76 series but fundamenally, the units are nearly identical.

The only main difference is a 1 or 2mm screen size increase and floatability with the 76. Otherwise they use the same software, etc.

I don't like the way the 60 series fits in mt hand and because I have an inferiority complex, I need the larger unit.

My suggestion is to use both before you buy. There are plenty of people that are using the 60 and 76 x units.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone through three different 60's. And not because they are bad but because I like them so much. Went from 60, to 60CS, and now to 60CSx. I don't have a complex and think the 60 feels better in my hand for size AND grip. Even though they are supposed to be identical, I think that the external antenna on the 60 makes me feel better about the readings, even though it probably make no difference.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Better GPSr - GPSMAP 60CSx vs. GPSMAP76CSx Reply with quote

JJJeffr wrote:
60CSx vs 76CSx. Are there opinions out there on these units?

I researched out both units before I bought one -- I got the 76CSx
I like it alot..... (after I learned how to use all the features and such)

.... but I am still really fond of my trusty old Legend Wink I get it out when I can't find some older KB caches -- it leads me right to the bugger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSQRYS/ref=pd_ys_ir_all_217/105-7054721-7796464

$367.53 for the 76CSx! I don't know how long that sale price will last.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hodges Marine

Garmin 76 Cx

$399 list and $318 at checkout.

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/GARMIN-GPSMAP-76CX-HANDHELD-GPS-p/gar010-00468-00.htm
naoc
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: 60CSx Reply with quote

I'm not that familiar with 76CSx but I do own a 60CSx and I love it. I think it is better than the legend model I had before. and retains better signal strength in cover and in urban areas where there are tall buildings. Plus you can do HALO jumps with it! Smile
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new SRIF receivers in the 60Cx and 76Cx versions is definately better then the older units. Example. Last Saturday I was standing inside a building that only had two South facing windows. I was still picking up 8 sats and had 24' accuracy. The other thing I noticed is that the wild swings in distance to waypoint smoothed out considerabliy. Moe was walking along with me and his GPSr (76C) was constantly 100' behind me in lag until we got to the cache site and it settled in.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped my 60CSx from about five feet down onto concrete. That darn thing popped apart. I put it back together, turned it on, still worked!! Awesome. Has a nice dent now but thrilled I don't have to buy a new one. These things rock.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now that I made my decision and picked up a new unit, I guess I'll explain my decision making Smile

First off, I had the same question on 60 series versus 76 series, but I was also questioning the need for the electronic compass and altimiter. Since I'm not a pilot, the altimiter was basically useless for my caching. So I had to decide if the compass alone was worth it. So first off, I looked through all the details and checked this forum and the GC forums for ideas, and both Artic's statement about the compass on a different thread, and the fact that you have to "recalibrate" it with every battery change (I use rechargables so change the batteries decently often), I decided against the compass. So that focused me on the 60Cx and the 76Cx.

I ran to REI and checked both of them out side by side, and although the 60Cx looks a little smaller in some ways, overall they're almost identical in overall height and other dimensions. I couldn't decide at that point, so I checked with some of the other cachers last week at WeekNIGHT caching, and tried out thier GPSr's for a short time. But after all that I really wasn't sure which I liked better. The price difference was one factor (76Cx cheaper, but 60Cx has mail in rebate so about even), but it finally came down to a quick conversation online with GeoPierce. I was asking him how he liked his new 60Cx, and during the discussion he mentioned that having the buttons on the bottom of the unit it made it harder to opperate one handed in the field. All of a sudden that dawned on me as something I liked from my Etrex, where I could input coords and page through menus while holding flashlight or driving with other hand. That made me look closer at the 76Cx, and with that button layout on top of the screen, it sold me.

I got my new unit late Friday night, and have loved it so far. I was amazed that the first time I turned it on in my apartment I had lock within 30 seconds...something that never happened with my old Etrex Legend. The autorouting is amazing, and I love the fact I can just put in an address and don't need to look up the coords from google maps. The only problems I've had so far is a couple caches yesterday that the autorouting wanted me to park on the interstate for, but I'll figure that out as time goes on I think.

So yeah, I think I'm in the same boat saying the 76C series is what I'd reccomend, but again, it depends on a lot of variables so some may like the 60 series more. Hope this helps anyone looking at new units in the future Smile

Celticwulf
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
But after all that I really wasn't sure which I liked better. The price difference was one factor (76Cx cheaper, but 60Cx has mail in rebate so about even), but it finally came down to a quick conversation online with GeoPierce. I was asking him how he liked his new 60Cx, and during the discussion he mentioned that having the buttons on the bottom of the unit it made it harder to opperate one handed in the field.

Glad I could help! Smile
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where did you get it and how much did you pay?

As far as autorouting, all of the Garmin products will route you to the closest road possible to the cache, be it interstate, road on the wrong side of the river, or what be it. Common sense must always be applied. Like don't turn down a one way street just because the autorouting told you to turn that way. Wink
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:

As far as autorouting, all of the Garmin products will route you to the closest road possible to the cache, be it interstate, road on the wrong side of the river, or what be it. Common sense must always be applied. Like don't turn down a one way street just because the autorouting told you to turn that way. Wink

I got it off Amazon for $329 and City Navigator v.8 for a little over $100. They got it to me very quickly (ordered Thursday a little after noon, got delivered to my apartments office about 24 hours later) and I'm very happy with it.

And yeah, I'm learning autorouting as I go, same way I learned that follwoing the arrow blindly isn't always the best way to get to the cache. It will take me a bit more time playing with the autorouting to get proficient at it, but so far I'm really liking it, and wondering why I waited so long to upgrade Razz

Celticwulf
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:

I agree, I have autorouted down some streets that don't go through. But not sure about that one-way comment, I mean I am only going one way and it is not my fault if all those other drivers weren't going the same direction as I was... Shocked The auto routing is pretty cool, and I agree that you do need to pay attention and a trip around the block will usually get you to that path between the houses you really should be on. Wink
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny you mentioned the button placement as a factor in deciding between the 60 and 76... we were at REI last night looking at the two and I liked the 60 over the 76 for that reason. I think I'm used to having buttons below a screen, similar to a cell phone, which I've used for years one handed while balancing a 25 pound TV camera on my shoulder with the other hand.
I'm looking forward to using the autorouting, not so much in the caching world, but to get around all the various NFL citites for work. (and if I happen to have caches near stadiums or the hotel loaded in that it can point out, well that just might be a bonus!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: