MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which PDA is better for us?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mommy2Tyler
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Which PDA is better for us? Reply with quote

So... I currently have a Sony Clie PEG-NR70V/U Palm Pilot with a 128 mb memory stick... but I have a chance to trade it (plus $30) for a Tungsten E with a 512 mb SD card.
Which is a better unit? I have been researching them online, but it is just confusing me more.

The Clie has a camera and mp3 player, which I don't use either of.... and the little keyboard, which I have never used yet.
The Tungsten has lots more memory, but do I really need that much memory? It also has a newer OS, which would allow more software downloads.

I use it for GeoCaching with cachemate... but I also use it for keeping track of my appts and my address book. Oh and to play games on. I know I will find lots more uses for it once I get onto it. I just got it last week.

Help! Smile
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Sony works for you now stay with it and buy a cheap pda off of ebay for caching. You dont need that much memory. There is such a big chance of dropping, getting soaked, lost, forgotten out there caching. Why risk it? Lots of Palm IIIx in the $25-50 range and they take batteries, ever have you Sony run out of power while caching?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wholeheartedly agree with IBC. Inexpensive is the way to go for your caching device.

Keeping them separate also ensures no serious issues with your private data (if you drop the Palm in the snow while caching -- just ask Lucid about losing stuff while caching Wink
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wholeheartedly agree with IBC. Inexpensive is the way to go for your caching device.

Keeping them separate also ensures no serious issues with your private data (if you drop the Palm in the snow while caching -- just ask Lucid about losing stuff while caching Wink
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
just ask Lucid about losing stuff while caching Wink

Four times?

Very Happy
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
just ask Lucid about losing stuff while caching Wink

Four times?

Very Happy

Just to see if his story is consistant...(like when the police interrogate) Wink
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went against the flow and used my Palm OS 4 PDA + phone for quite some time. However, I probably would have cried if I lost it or smashed it.

You don't need to upgrade in order to get lots and lots of software on it. Very few things require Palm OS 5. Typically, I've seen only a few games and media players require a newer OS.

However, if you want a junk Palm that will work wonderfully, check out eBay for an m100 or m105. It's serial, but it's also dirt cheap and easy to replace.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious....for all of you that have expensive cell phone PDA's....do you leave them in the car while caching?? I personally usually cache alone and like to have my cell phone with me. My cell phone happens to also be a pocket pc....and therefore kinda spendy....

But if I can be careful not to wreck it...have everything I need at my fingertips: paperless caching, internet access, camera, mp3 player, mapping software,............oh yeah, did I mention it's a phone?? Wink
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a blackberry and do carry it with me (and use it often while caching). It's nice to have access to look stuff up about the cache if needed.

I also have a bad track record with expensive electronics in the woods - I took insurance on the blackberry this time around.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:
Just curious....for all of you that have expensive cell phone PDA's....do you leave them in the car while caching?? I personally usually cache alone and like to have my cell phone with me. My cell phone happens to also be a pocket pc....and therefore kinda spendy....

I have a Treo and I bring it caching with me... I need to have my phone and cachemate handy. I've dropped it a few times.. Twice, I got it wet and had to let it dry out overnight.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick is keeping that electronic gear dry. I was in southern Missouri about a year ago where there are some great caches way back in them thar hills. I drove in as far as I could and parked when I came to a stream too deep to drive across. Looked like I had about a half-mile to bushwhack. All was going well, until it became clear that the cache was across the river. After a search, I found a spot where it was knee deep and I decided to ford. Unfortunately, I slipped off a rock into a hole and went in up to my chest. Both the cell phone and PDA in my pocket went dead. I did manage to hold the GPSr above water and after fording the steam and then climbing a bluff, I used it to score a DNF on the cache. (I also used it to backtrack to the car as I was pretty turned around by the time I got out of the water.)

FWIW, later that evening, I disassembled the PDA and phone on my mother in law's dining room table, dried them out, and got them started up
again.

After getting some local knowledge and discovering the preferred route to the cache area, I tried for the cache again the next day, but DNF'd again.

Turns out the cache was missing and the owner -- a year later -- has promised to fix it by Thanksgiving. Maybe I can try again when I'm down there next spring.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the problem isn't keeping it dry - it's impacts. Either me dropping it or landing on it in a fall (I've done both).
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
For me the problem isn't keeping it dry - it's impacts. Either me dropping it or landing on it in a fall (I've done both).

And you carry Grace along with you caching? Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: