MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with GPSBabel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Help with GPSBabel Reply with quote

I need help using GPSBabel to upload GPX files with my Garmin 60Cx. I'd use GSAK but I'm not supposed to install software on my computer at work so I'm using GPSBabel command line. I started out by saving the the GPX file and then running:

gpsbabel.exe -i gpx -f GPX.gpx -o garmin -F usb:

This gave me the diff/terrain rating before the cache name in the note for the waypoint, which I liked. But it also gave me the tollbooth icon for micros, so I figured out how to fix that with the -N flag.

gpsbabel.exe -N -i gpx -f GPX.gpx -o garmin -F usb:

How can get the diff/terrain rating to show up (and maybe the cache size) but avoid the tollbooth icon? The standard geocache/geocache-found icons are fine with me. I've looked through the documentation for GPSBabel and searched Google but can't seem to find any good documentation for command line arguments. Do I have to create a style file for GPSBabel? If so, what would it look like?

I know I could ask in the larger forums, but wanted to start here first. Hopefully someone has used GPSBabel enough to help.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with GPSBabel Reply with quote

I know next to nothing about this, however:

GeoPierce wrote:
Do I have to create a style file for GPSBabel? If so, what would it look like?

GSAK uses a style file:

GSAK.STL:

Code:
# FILE LAYOUT DEFINITIIONS:
#
#ENCODING                ISO-8859-1
ENCODING                UTF-8
FIELD_DELIMITER         TAB
RECORD_DELIMITER        NEWLINE
BADCHARS                ,'

SHORTLEN                20
SHORTWHITE              0

#
# INDIVIDUAL DATA FIELDS, IN ORDER OF APPEARANCE:

IFIELD  SHORTNAME, "", "%s"
IFIELD  LAT_DECIMAL, "", "%08.5f"
IFIELD  LON_DECIMAL, "", "%08.5f"
IFIELD  ICON_DESCR, "", "%s"
IFIELD  DESCRIPTION, "", "%s"
IFIELD  NOTES, "", "%s"
IFIELD  URL, "", "%s"
IFIELD  GEOCACHE_TYPE,"", "%s"  # Geocache Type
IFIELD  GEOCACHE_CONTAINER,"","%s" # Container Type/Size
IFIELD   GEOCACHE_DIFF, "", "%3.1f"   # Geocache Diffuculty
IFIELD   GEOCACHE_TERR, "", "%3.1f"   # Geocache Terrain
IFIELD  GEOCACHE_PLACER, "", "%s"
IFIELD  YYYYMMDD_TIME, "", "%ld"
IFIELD  GEOCACHE_LAST_FOUND, "", "%ld"
IFIELD  GEOCACHE_HINT, "", "%s"

GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with GPSBabel Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
GSAK uses a style file:

I've only tried GSAK for a week or so and found it too cumbersome for my use so I went back to EasyGPS. I figured GSAK used it's own default style when calling GPSBabel, but I'm not sure how to use a custom style when sending data to my GPSr.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with GPSBabel Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
GSAK uses a style file:

I've only tried GSAK for a week or so and found it too cumbersome for my use so I went back to EasyGPS. I figured GSAK used it's own default style when calling GPSBabel, but I'm not sure how to use a custom style when sending data to my GPSr.

ROFL...you, the computer guy, can't figure out how to use GSAK efficently? It's SOOO much easier than EasyGPS it's not even funny, plus you get better info loaded up.

sorry, had to taunt

CW
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with GPSBabel Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
GSAK uses a style file:

ROFL...you, the computer guy, can't figure out how to use GSAK efficently? It's SOOO much easier than EasyGPS it's not even funny, plus you get better info loaded up.

sorry, had to taunt

CW

I didn't say I couldn't figure out how to use it. I meant it was overkill for me at the time because my old GPS couldn't take advantage of long names and stuff. Smile Now that I have a new GPS, I'd like to use software that can handle the long names but I can't install EasyGPS or GSAK because I get an email in my inbox that says I have illegal software installed. So I'm fine with downloading pocket queries and using a command line tool like GPSBabel to upload to my GPS. So you have no right to taunt me until you find more caches than me. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: