MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GIS day at UMD, Nov 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esko is the guy to ask. I've apparently turned into the face on the forums, but Esko is doing all the work (just so I clear the air, I'm doing next to nothing, as normal). Wink
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Esko is the guy to ask. I've apparently turned into the face on the forums, but Esko is doing all the work (just so I clear the air, I'm doing next to nothing, as normal). Wink

I do have a few stacks of different types of handouts that I've used in the past...FAQ's, newspaper articles, CITO, etc. along with a table top display board with gc type info to put on...if we are in that type of set-up, let me know if I should bring them.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, our Internet flaked out for an hour or so, and all these posts showed up! Here's the skinny.

Stacy, who is the real organizer for this, sent some information around this morning (I'm just doing this to get out of work). The important points: coffee & donuts at 9:00. There will be boxed lunches for all tables and presenters, although I'm not sure what she'll do when 20 MnGCA members show up! (tell you all to work it out, no doubt). There will be a table, backdrop, power, and Internet access. You guys can bring whatever handout things you want, that's great Someone will get a FTF on Thursday. (is this like throwing a bone into a pack of dogs?). Stacy picked up some door prizes for students that actually come back and return the GPSrs that they borrowed.

OK, that's more than I know, but I can make up answers for anything else.
Smile
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
TimbreWlf wrote:
Okay, score points for the "astute" but the information pointed to 16 Nov. I must be missing something either in the post or the website. So the event is actually Wednesday?

GIS day is more than something UMD thought up. It is a recognized day (I'm sure ghost640 would have to tell us who came up with it).

The folks organizing the event couldn't make the 15th work for them, so they instead decided to do it on the 16th.

SO, GIS day itself is on the 15th, but at UMD they are celebrating it on the 16th.

PearHead got it right - here is a blurb from the GISDay website (what, you haven't been to the GISDay website?):

Events Planned Around the World
From Albania to Zimbabwe, from Iceland to balmy Hawaii, from the top of the world (Nepal) to "the land down under" (Australia), on 6 of the 7 continents and many island countries in between, GIS Day events are planned in 82 countries and all 50 states. From www.gisday.com

So it's a big deal, everyone puts on GIS hats, sings GIS songs, does GIS dances, etc. Don't know when the first one was, but I'm sure it was started by a company that makes boatloads of money selling GIS software... I'm not really in a position to say who.

www.esri.com
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on being at the site at 9 am. I don't expect nor can I imagine that I'll need anybody before 9:30 for any reason. The only reason I might need someone before that is to keep me company.
We are planning on sending out groups of people to look for the two permanent caches on campus, Bulldog's Trail GCQXN2 and UMD Library GCNCHE plus a new cache that we hope will be posted on the 16th (thats right Tom).
UMD has access to several GPSr's and we need to make sure that all of them are returned after the hunt.
The time line (which is fluid) I'm looking at is something like this:
9:30 am setup and BS time.
10 am will be the presentation (thank you Pear Head)
10:30 will be the test group to see how many and how long each group takes, this is where we need help.

I hope to send out groups every hour which may be optimistic. I'll have a sign up sheet for each group so that we know which GPSr's to recover from each group.
MNFlyers is going to be stuck at the table but I'm sure he'd like the chance to wander off depending on how his knee is doing.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also set out a 3 stage multi on Saturday that takes them on a short walk around campus - if the snow sticks around, I'll need to raise Stage 1 (too bad, it's a good hide).

I'd like to add one more temporary, either a dead-easy one, or (at Laker2' suggestion) , a challenging magnetic micro. I like the idea of tracks going on all directions out of Kirby.

I'll talk to Stacy - we can have student sign out GPSrs on their UMD cards to keep track of them.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:

We are planning on sending out groups of people to look for the two permanent caches on campus, Bulldog's Trail GCQXN2 and UMD Library GCNCHE plus a new cache that we hope will be posted on the 16th (thats right Tom)

I think there may be a key to another cache in one of these...hopefully, it will not disappear Laughing
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a Laker floating around in one of these -maybe we should pull the valuables on Thursday, or I can add a note on the "Field Guide" to these caches that I've been putting together.

A key you say?
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:
There's also a Laker floating around in one of these -maybe we should pull the valuables on Thursday, or I can add a note on the "Field Guide" to these caches that I've been putting together.

A key you say?

I was debating grabbing it myself, if it is still there...but don't know if I'll get locked up before winter Wink
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:

A key you say?

For Locked Up I'm guessing.

I'd leave it up to Esko if he wants to pull the valuables out if they don't disappear before hand.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

proton wrote:
Did you use Google Earth for that answer or go out and use your GPSr? Very Happy

Er, well, it was cold, and getting kind of dark out...
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Laker is already gone. I'll leave the key where it is (if its still there) for dmnrec to get. Those keys are hard to come by. I checked the other caches and they're empty of TB's.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:
The Laker is already gone. I'll leave the key where it is (if its still there) for dmnrec to get. Those keys are hard to come by. I checked the other caches and they're empty of TB's.

Thanks!! Very Happy The kids have no school on Friday and I'm taking a vacation day...weather looks decent, so I should be set to go!
DLHCacher
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there to taunt EskoClimber and give a hand to the others. (Remember I am not nice Tom). Listening to Lonnie will be fun. I worked contruction with him the summer after I got out of the service.
Oneied Cooky
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my Q's were answered but 1 Are the coords for a parking lot or for a place to park? The way I red it it sounded like a spot to park.
I will join DLHCacher in the taunting! If I can keep up to EskoClimber. 1 last question. Where's the Kegger party afterwards?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: