MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GIS day at UMD, Nov 16
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: GIS day at UMD, Nov 16 Reply with quote

EskoClimber and I (hopefully) will be putting on a presentation and taking potential geocachers out to find some caches in conjunction with GIS day at UMD in Duluth. The event is scheduled to run from 1000-1500 on Nov 16th. We'll be putting on a presentation at 10am and then will send folks out on their own and in guided groups.

We need help to make it work - we need a few cachers to go out with these groups mainly. Although we couldn't get any firm numbers from the organizers, it's likely that this event will easily produce 50+ interested people so the help we're asking for is essential. If you can make it out, even for part of the time, please contact EskoClimber or myself directly via PM or email.

Esko or I will also be contacting a few local cachers directly that we think may have the free time to help.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it had been Friday I would have been there Sad
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: GIS day at UMD, Nov 16 Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
EskoClimber and I (hopefully) will be putting on a presentation and taking potential geocachers out to find some caches in conjunction with GIS day at UMD in Duluth. The event is scheduled to run from 1000-1500 on Nov 16th. We'll be putting on a presentation at 10am and then will send folks out on their own and in guided groups.

We need help to make it work - we need a few cachers to go out with these groups mainly. Although we couldn't get any firm numbers from the organizers, it's likely that this event will easily produce 50+ interested people so the help we're asking for is essential. If you can make it out, even for part of the time, please contact EskoClimber or myself directly via PM or email.

Esko or I will also be contacting a few local cachers directly that we think may have the free time to help.

I believe my schedule is open...I'll double check and get back to you...that is, if you don't mind me getting people lost Laughing
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can go...yipee! If I have adequate staff for Gary/New Duluth, I'll stay for the duration...if not, I'll be there until 2-ish...
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off on Thursdays, I'll check my schedule (spouse) and see if it works.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard from MNFlyers. If he is recovered enough from his knee replacement to be wheeled in to a table, he'd like to help.

Thanks, dmnrec. Good to know the city is "flexible".
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also bring 4 Etrexes...
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
I can also bring 4 Etrexes...

It probably wouldn't hurt to bring them but I think you'd be safe leaving them in the vehicle.

The sponsors will have a large number of GPS units (I'm thinking they said 15-20). One of my concerns was accountability of the units - something that they are responsible for, not us.
proton
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in if you need some help. let me know.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: GIS day events Reply with quote

Hi all - I'm one of the organizers (in the very loosest sense of the word) of this first UMD GIS day, and a neo-geocacher. I really appreciate the help that PearHead, EskoClimber and others have offered, and think this could be a great way to introduce students & the public to the sport. We can certainly use experience cachers to 'hang around' at the conference site, and overtly or surreptitiously at the caches (currently a work in progress).

One neat thing about this event - we have Lonnie Dupre coming to give a lunchtime seminar - he's one of the two fellows from Grand Marais that trekked to the North Pole last summer to point out effect of global warming on artic ice conditions. He'll talk about their use of GIS and GPS on their trip (dang, we should have got them to place a cache there).

Thanks, I'll post more info here as we figure stuff out.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun event, wish I could go.
proton
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PearHead,

Good reason for an offical GC.com event??? It is probably to late now.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

proton wrote:
PearHead,

Good reason for an offical GC.com event??? It is probably to late now.

Bummer. Yes and yes.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the approver but it would be likely that it wouldn't be permitted as a geocaching.com event as it's a preexisiting event meant for people who aren't just interested in geocaching.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a big follower of events so the guidelines are not always clear to me. I'm curious on the hypothetical though (as I know that we are outside of the acceptable timeframes now anyway). While the GIS event is as SB describes above, the Geocaching portion of it is/was not a preexisting event. Does the gathering of cachers and need for cachers for the presentation and or guiding qualify?

Like I say, setting up events are not my thing. The few that I have done were pretty cut and dried.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: