MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yikes, I've Been Banned from GC.com

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Yikes, I've Been Banned from GC.com Reply with quote

I've been a bad, bad boy.

I received a three day ban, without warning from gc.com for:

Hello,

As a moderator in the coin forums, I've disabled your ability to post for three days for a violation of the forum guidelines. Personal information is not allowed to be posted in these boards. Please see your thread for my last post and links to the forum guidelines.

Flying Spaghetti Monster

Why because I posted a user name and e-mail. He was a deadbeat that refused to pay after he won an auction.

Thanks guys for the statements you have made. I means a lot to me.

By the way, It Don't Mean Nothin!

The only posts I've made there in the last 5 months are on that one thread.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Flying Spaghetti Monster"

Hmm.. I think I just learned something I wasn't meant to know.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This irked me a little. While I understand that it doesn't make a difference to AA, I was really hoping for more from the gc.com moderation team (maybe this is why I don't frequent those boards very often). I sent the Spaghetti guy the following PM:
Pear Head wrote:

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:

Did you actually READ my post? My point was that he refernced "that E place" because HE thought it wasn't OK to mention eBay or link to the sales. My point was that he was not familair with the guidelines - get it?

As for personal information. What was removed was both the user name and the user's email address - which is considered personal information. Discussions of this nature have been had many times before.

Please make sure you know what you're talking about before jumping into an issue.

First off, while I understand (and agree with) your decision regarding removing personal information from the post, I disagree with your response to the poster ("PLease look these over in the next few days before posting again.")

Second, I would have expected a moderator to be a little more polite. You're supposed to set the example, right?

From your same forum guidelines that you refer to earlier:

Code:
Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

It doesn't seem to me that sir_zman was given that level of respect. A level of respect that I would think would start at the moderators and work down (lead by example).

Code:
Private Discussions: Sometimes, a discussion thread strays off into a friendly dialogue or a heated debate among a very small number of users. For these exchanges, use the private discussion feature that is provided through the Groundspeak forums, or the Geocaching.com e-mail system. Public forum posts should be reserved for matters of interest to the general community.

I fail to see how this is a matter of interest to the general community.

It's disappointing to see a moderator come down on users but fail to adhere to the same policies that they enforce.

Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent the following email back to FSM and can't wait to see what his response is. I love being punished for me evil thoughts.

Code:

FSM,

I won't argue with you because it won't do any good.  But just so I understand based upon your debate with the gc.com membership on the thread.  You ban me without warning (your right I understand, and yes I agreed to the rules).  But half your reason is because you think that I thought I was doing something wrong and referenced ebay buy the term the e site. So your interpretation is that just because I like many other on this site still live by the old rules where we could not even mention ebay on the site at all believe that I was trying to do something dishonest and underhanded.  Yet you really can not prove intent can you?  So it comes down that you think that I think I'm doing something wrong so you punish me for it.  Just for the record, I can pull at least 100 different users from the geocoin threads that use the term, but I won't assume that you have issued a ban to all of them.

As far as the personal information, fine.  Your right and I admit I made a mistake by posting the email address.  Posting the user name is not posting personal information.  It was my first infraction in over three years on this site as a paying customer.  You could have just as easily edited the post as the moderator and issued me a warning. But here I readily agree that I made a violation and accept it the punishment as you deem it necessary.

You also reference that DaveA used the word e site.  Well, in my humble opinion all he was doing was quoting me so how can you find that he did anything wrong there.  However, what you didn't say that you a ban do DaveA for abusive language for his use of a$$ in reference to me in a disrespectful manner.  On the other hand I thought that my response to him was drafted in a very respectful manner.

I will not attempt to take this to gc.com for adjudication as it would take just as long as the ban and would not accomplish anything really.  You’re the moderator and it's your power.  It's also up to you to reconsider and not gc.com.

Arctic

pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh.. This will go on your permanent record! Wink
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to Geocaching Websites.
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that happened...I don't frequent it as much as I used to before they had changed the guidelines of only being able to post coin sales that are trackable...also, people coming out with coins for everything instead of just cities, states, org., and personal...now, occasionally I'll buy a coin that I really like instead of everything that comes out. The 2006 Alaska coin is really nice....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: