MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Website for Coin Collectors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Website for Coin Collectors Reply with quote

I'm making a website for coin collectors to display coins they have in their personal collection, those released into the wild and those they have available for trade.

My main reason for starting this project was so I had a site to show people what coins I have that are available for trade when I'm doing trading on the internet.

I'm looking for some feedback from other coin collectors who might be interested in using a site like this. If that is you, let me know and I'll set you up with an account and you can start using it. I'd like to know what people like/don't like about the site and ways to improve it.

PM/Email me.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea, but I have some reservations.

When coins were originally a huge thing, people would go through great lengths to find the cache and log the coin to collect the icon. Then people carried them to events, and the icon war grew a bit out of hand. It seemed that finding the cool coin no longer had a purpose as people carried binders full to the events where people madly scribbled down tracking numbers.

I can only imagine that a site that contained a list of coins and tracking numbers would only exacerbate the situation.

Of course, a site for permanently trading coins would be infinitely cooler than one where you could go to just find the GC number to discover it.

What would be neat is to have a geocoin database where users could submit coins that they own so people could search for a coin they were looking for. Have searchable tags and fields that represent the date it was released, the minter, etc.

... then individual coins could have instance of each coin created.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, I never intended the tracking number to appear on my site, the site is purely for display purposes, I do have a field for the GC Reference number, but you can't "Discover" or "Log" the coin with that number.

I don't know if you are making a crack about me or not, since I started carying a binder with all my coins in it.... but either way, when you spend a lot of money collecting these coins, I think it's understandable that you would want to display them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know there is already a site out there that does what you want plus allows you to list is as keeping, seaking, or trading. They have several hundred coins listed already with their images.

http://www.geocoincollection.com/cointrade/whohas.asp?type=1&coin=1712&page=3
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Just so you know there is already a site out there that does what you want plus allows you to list is as keeping, seaking, or trading. They have several hundred coins listed already with their images.

http://www.geocoincollection.com/cointrade/whohas.asp?type=1&coin=1712&page=3

Cool, and their URL is close to mine. So the only functionality they offer that I don't is "seeking" functionality. My site has expanded "Keeping" into two areas, "Keeping for personal display" and "Released into the wild".

I enjoy programming my own sites, and I think I have.

If anyone is interested in trying out my site, you will get the opportunity to help create a site with the features you want, and have a say in how the site functions...try that with the other sites...
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also cointracking.com which does the same.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I don't know if you are making a crack about me or not, since I started carying a binder with all my coins in it.... but either way, when you spend a lot of money collecting these coins, I think it's understandable that you would want to display them.

No crack intended; I've seen lots of people do it. I agree. Looking at coins is always a treat and wanting to show them to others is fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: