MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cachemate, learning how to use
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
accordiongal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Cachemate, learning how to use Reply with quote

Hello fellow cachers. I am looking for somebody around Rochester area that can help clarify the mysteries of Cachemate. It's installed onto iPAQ, how do I get the information from GSAK to iPAK. My learning preference is face to face, I am such a verbal learner. Thanks
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help

http://www.wi-geocaching.com/forums/Forum2/HTML/000343.html
accordiongal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon,
Finally, I have reviewed the Cachemate tutoral written from a gal in Florida. It was very helpful. I am stuck on trying to export the files to PDA. Tried using this path
File
Export
CacheMate PDB file
Then the dialog box appears, I don't undestand the PDB file to create and Select from most recent.

How do you recommend saving the PQ prior to being unzipped, not sure what else I am not correctly doing. Thanks
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to use an iPAQ and GSAK, it's very simple.

After you have the caches filtered out that you want on the iPAQ, select:

File -> Export -> HTML Files (CTRL + h does this)

Be sure the destination is a folder (I think it automatically names it "cache") in your "Pocket_PC My Documents" folder.

Then put the iPAQ in the sync cradle or plug in the sync cable and Active sync will take care of the rest. Do not have the iPAQ connected when creating the HTML files, as the graphics tend to get messed up.

Then just open the file named "_1 index" with "file explorer" and everything works exactly like it does on GC.com when online.

I set that relationship to "Home page" on IE and it is easy to access.

This is a lot simpler to use than Cachmate. I have used that also.

Good Luck.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing about GSAK.

You will need to set a few preferences, like number of logs, center points, etc. before generating the HTML files. Just look at all the options closely the first time you create HTML files,as it will repeat what your last selections were on future uses.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:
If you are going to use an iPAQ and GSAK, it's very simple.
Quote:

This is a lot simpler to use than Cachmate. I have used that also.

I just use the exported HTML files on my Palm (a Clie) and find that it was easier than Cachemate as well, however... Doesn't Cachemate allow you to keep track of what you're finding as you're finding it (doesn't it allow you to log as you go)? That, to me, would be the only advantage of using Cachemate, and could be what she's looking for.... For me it wasn't worth the work of using Cachemate, but I could see for some that it may be..
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I just use the exported HTML files on my Palm (a Clie) and find that it was easier than Cachemate as well, however... Doesn't Cachemate allow you to keep track of what you're finding as you're finding it (doesn't it allow you to log as you go)? That, to me, would be the only advantage of using Cachemate, and could be what she's looking for.... For me it wasn't worth the work of using Cachemate, but I could see for some that it may be..

Yeah, you can sort things into categories, which I find very useful for keeping track of what I've found, among other things. You can also log as you go, I think, but I haven't used that feature.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
Yeah, you can sort things into categories, which I find very useful for keeping track of what I've found, among other things.

I usually make separate files with GSAK to use in Plucker for things like this. I have one file that covers a 100 mile radius around my home, another for active, unfound (by me) caches in MN, I made another for our recent trip to Fargo, etc, etc...
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I usually make separate files with GSAK to use in Plucker for things like this. I have one file that covers a 100 mile radius around my home, another for active, unfound (by me) caches in MN, I made another for our recent trip to Fargo, etc, etc...

I used to do it that way also...using multiple databases, etc with GSAK. Then, one mistake of updating the wrong database and things got out of wack. I find the best way is to keep all caches in one database.....found and unfound....no matter where they are.

Then I use filters to pull up what I want to see with different center points all from the single database. I run PQ's weekly (found and unfound for MN and FL) that update the entire database and more often in areas I am actively caching. The only problem is if a cache gets archived too fast, but this could be solved with another PQ.

Cachemate's log feature seemed useful, but I just do a voice recording at each cache site. It's a lot easier that typing, especially in the sun or when driving. Sorting seemed a little cumbersome. For me, the IE page format is much easier to read and find caches that the way it is presented with Cachemate.

Put a 1 gig memory card in your iPAQ and it'll hold about 15,000 cache pages.....just start adding up all the caches in nearby states and it's pretty impressive how many states you can have.

The only thing that might be better would be if GSAK developed a Pocket PC version!!!! That way we wouldn't have to bring the laptop along in the car.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:
I used to do it that way also...using multiple databases, etc with GSAK. Then, one mistake of updating the wrong database and things got out of wack. I find the best way is to keep all caches in one database.....found and unfound....no matter where they are.

I only have one database in GSAK, like you. I export different HTML files to Plucker, but all of the data comes from one database.

Quote:
For me, the IE page format is much easier to read and find caches that the way it is presented with Cachemate.

This was one of the big reasons I didn't use Cachemate and just stuck to the exported HTML pages.

Quote:
Put a 1 gig memory card in your iPAQ and it'll hold about 15,000 cache pages.....just start adding up all the caches in nearby states and it's pretty impressive how many states you can have.

The reason that I break it up into smaller files is purely the speed of the Palm. Like I said earlier, I have one database that contains all of Minnesota that is active that I haven't found. The problem with the database is that on the Palm it can get pretty slow when you're looking for a cache. Thus I HAVE the database for "just in case", but rarely use it. Instead I use smaller ones for around my home area or, if I'm going on a trip, I use one that's just for that trip. The smaller databases make the Palm much more responsive. That's probably a effect of using an older Palm, although I'm not out much if I trip, fall, and land on the Palm (turning into a non-functional piece of hardware). I've done that.
accordiongal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head, wished I had known now to discuss this with you more on Saturday. So what method do you use to keep track of the caches you found this past weekend?

I am interested in PDA assistance because of reading hints, past logs, and a different method of keeping track of multiple finds on trips.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

accordiongal wrote:
Pear Head, wished I had known now to discuss this with you more on Saturday. So what method do you use to keep track of the caches you found this past weekend?

As I'm finding them out in the field?

This weekend I used EskoClimber. He worked well. Smile

When I'm with a group I don't typically keep track anymore. I wait for the others to log the caches, then I go back and look at their finds for the past day or two and log what they logged. I know, I'm lazy.

Otherwise (or if I'm by myself), I use paper and pencil to log the caches. For me it is the simplest, quickest way to keep track. I also sometimes will use the draw functions of the palm to etch out some notes, although I have found it cumbersome to retrieve them and do the logs. Paper and pencil works best for me.

Quote:
I am interested in PDA assistance because of reading hints, past logs, and a different method of keeping track of multiple finds on trips.

As far as reading hints, cache pages, and logs on the trip I think you'll find that Cachemate and the HTML way (Plucker) will present pretty much the same information in a slightly different format.

I'm not sure about Cachemate, but with Plucker I can view a large (basically unlimited) # of logs/cache. It's nice to be able to read all of the logs back to the beginning for some caches (assuming your log history goes back that far in GSAK).
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

accordiongal wrote:
Good afternoon,
Finally, I have reviewed the Cachemate tutoral written from a gal in Florida. It was very helpful. I am stuck on trying to export the files to PDA. Tried using this path
File
Export
CacheMate PDB file
Then the dialog box appears, I don't undestand the PDB file to create and Select from most recent.

On the "PDB file to create", you need to enter the name of a file. I doesn't matter what you call it. You can click on the little folder icon at the right side of the text box, and pick a place to store the file (desktop is fine) and pick a name (caches.pdb is fine).

Leave everything else alone. Make sure "Install to palm after conversion" is checked. Then click "generate".

You'll get a box saying that everything went fine (hopefully).

You'll get another box saying "Confirm Add: the following files will be placed on your handheld during the next HotSync operation". Click OK, dismiss the window, and do a hotsync.

Then next time you start cachemate, it'll ask you if you want to load the caches.pdb file; say yes.
accordiongal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
OK, I am so extremely frustrated with the whole challenge of trying to go paperless!!!!!!!

So a huge plea for major help. Who is willing to have a free meal to set up the iPAQ, and write step by step instructions on how to get the PQ to the iPAQ?

Wondering if the iPAQ is too old? Model 3765

Accordiongal
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be able to give you step by step instructions if you're willing to abandon Cachemate for now and go with the Plucker route...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: