MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GSAK to Windows mobile based PDA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: GSAK to Windows mobile based PDA Reply with quote

I just bought the Cingular 8125 pocket pc/phone...sold my Zire 72 Palm

I was exporting gsak files to Sunrise desktop, and had Plucker on my palm os based pda...worked very good

Anybody have any advice on what would work good on my windows mobile pda? [I keep my GSAK database up to date with pocket queries ]

Also, is there a way to export waypoints to my Rand McNally Streetfinder from GSAK? Or should I buy Microsoft Trips and Streets?

Thanks

Shawn
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: GSAK to Windows mobile based PDA Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:
I just bought the Cingular 8125 pocket pc/phone...sold my Zire 72 Palm

I was exporting gsak files to Sunrise desktop, and had Plucker on my palm os based pda...worked very good

Anybody have any advice on what would work good on my windows mobile pda? [I keep my GSAK database up to date with pocket queries ]

Also, is there a way to export waypoints to my Rand McNally Streetfinder from GSAK? Or should I buy Microsoft Trips and Streets?

Thanks

Shawn

Toss out Plucker, etc.

Just export from your filtered to HTML files (just like you would do when exporting waypoints to your GPS) and save it in the Pocket_PC folder. You will need to answer some questions on GSAK the first time, like # of logs, etc. Do not have the PDA in the sync cradle when exporting, as it does not sync correctly. Then open the first file you see using IE on the Windows based PDA. It's called "_1index" I set that up as a "Favorite" so it is easily recalled on IE.

I use MS Streets and Trips. #1 reason-It's cheap. #2 reason-It works well. #3 reason-See #1.

You can install the pocket version of S&T in your PDA and then export the same filtered list to a Pocket Streets PSP file into your Pocket_PC folder. If you haven't alreday done so, export a map from S&T to your PDA covering the same area. Big maps will not work on the standard memory in the PDA. I use a 1 gig card in my PDA, so it holds a larger map.

You can also export to the full version of S&T from GSAK as a text file and inport it to S&T to print out paper maps. It's a little more complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it's worth the time.

Once everything is set up the first time, I can load 500 waypionts and cache pages directly from GSAK into my GPS, PDA, and maps in less than 5 minutes. GPS takes 3 minutes of that time itself.

Also....I did experiment with a GPS receiver on the PDA and it ate up batteries too quickly. S&T comes with a GPS receiver (there have been some rebate promotions on this to get it quite cheaply) ) if you want to run your laptop beside you in the car. I know a number of people who do this.

Good Luck.[/b]
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GW&WW,
I think I will take your advice and stop using my Rand McNally maps and purchase MS Streets and trips instead. Rand McNally seems to work fine for most things...but it is not supported by GSAK.

I will probably pony up the bucks for a bluetooth gps receiver to use with my PDA. I have a 2 gig SD card so memory is plentiful. I also bought a "package deal" off ebay...I wanted a car cord charger...but found a deal on a combo of: extra AC charger, 12 V car charger, and a extra battery....it was surprisingly very affordable (under $30 shipped to my door!)

So thanks for your advice........I know who to pm when it comes time to set it up for the first time Wink Wink

Shawn
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cingular.com/8125_consumer

Heres a link to the phone/pda in case your wondering Shocked
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:
http://www.cingular.com/8125_consumer

Heres a link to the phone/pda in case your wondering Shocked

It's got EDGE/GPRS, I'd just load the cache pages on the go. Use http://geocachingadmin.com and load the log pages directly (edit the URL each time and change the waypoint at the end to lessen subsequent page loads).

I load cache pages only when necessary and usually, during long caching trips, turn off images so that they load even faster.

If I need to bring the GPX w/me because I will be out of GPRS/EDGE service, I just convert the GPX to HTML with gpsbabel (you guys use GSAK) and then load it before I loose connectivity.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Use http://geocachingadmin.com and load the log pages directly (edit the URL each time and change the waypoint at the end to lessen subsequent page loads).

I've never heard of that URL before - looks handy.

I've used the WAP access before (wap.geocaching.com) with good success - it has its downfalls (multiple pages to view a whole cache page, can't set the date on your logs, etc.) but it has worked well when I'm travelling and want to log caches on the fly on the BlackBerry. I'll have to play some now with this site - it looks better since I can load the images if I want but don't have to go through all the stuff on the main site.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:
I will probably pony up the bucks for a bluetooth gps receiver to use with my PDA. I have a 2 gig SD card so memory is plentiful.

I always thought it would be fun to put a Bluetooth GPS on your hat and go caching!

Another thing I forgot......It's near impossible to see the screen on my iPAQ in daylight. That's the main reason I abandoned that idea. Good software was another reason.
darus67
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For windows mobile use I like GPXsonar. You store the GPX file on your device and GPXsonar can sort, filter, slice and dice, almost like GSAK.

It can generate HTML pages on the fly which are then displayed with the web browser on your PPC.

You can also write field notes about each cache and sync them with GSAK when you get home.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Toss out Plucker, etc.

Just export from your filtered to HTML files (just like you would do when exporting waypoints to your GPS) and save it in the Pocket_PC folder. You will need to answer some questions on GSAK the first time, like # of logs, etc. Do not have the PDA in the sync cradle when exporting, as it does not sync correctly. Then open the first file you see using IE on the Windows based PDA. It's called "_1index" I set that up as a "Favorite" so it is easily recalled on IE.

Thanks GW & WR!...I tried this, and it works just fine. Have you found a way to get the files on to the memory card instead of the device memory?

Quote:
It's got EDGE/GPRS, I'd just load the cache pages on the go. Use http://geocachingadmin.com and load the log pages directly (edit the URL each time and change the waypoint at the end to lessen subsequent page loads).

Thanks Silent Bob!....I like this better than the hassle of the main GC.com page....I knew about the wap page, but not this one.

I will probably still want to switch to MS Streets & Trips mainly because I can export from GSAK to it.

JUDGEMENT CALL: I am thinking about a bluetooth GPS receiver to use on the PDA with MS S&T...............it would be pretty cool.....but would my money be better spent on purchasing a nice handheld GPSr with good mapping and autorouting? (my current handheld does not have autorouting and is very limited to just a base map that can't be upgraded)
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:

JUDGEMENT CALL: I am thinking about a bluetooth GPS receiver to use on the PDA with MS S&T...............it would be pretty cool.....but would my money be better spent on purchasing a nice handheld GPSr with good mapping and autorouting? (my current handheld does not have autorouting and is very limited to just a base map that can't be upgraded)

Unless your buying a pelican or other field case for your PDA, IT IS NOT WATER or SHOCK PROOF. It's great in the car but not so useful in the field for actual close in GPSr work. Stick with a real GPSr.

Personally, I've got a Navman PDA with built in GPSr and integrated maping. Works great in the car and even in the field. But I would not want to bring it out in the rain, snow, blowing dust, or any other environment then a nice day.

I also agree, I use GPSsonar. Good tool. I just copy the gpx file to the memory card and I'm off with all of the data for contained in the gpx.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:
Have you found a way to get the files on to the memory card instead of the device memory?

There may be a way to sync it, but I just copy and past the file to the SD memory card. I calculated it out once and figured you could get all the caches in the states of Florida, Georgia, and Alabama on a 1 gig card.

MS S&T didn't do a good job of off road routing. Getting to the cache site was all it worked for. Plus, like I said before, you can't see an iPAQ in sunlight. Test it out.

I did evaluate this software:Bee Line, but for some reason didn't buy it. Bottom line is that a PDA is not built rugged enough to hold up to outdoor conditions as well as a GPS unit. And you can see the display on a hand held GPS. Heck...get both and you will have lots of electronic toys to play with in the field!
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:

Unless your buying a pelican or other field case for your PDA, IT IS NOT WATER or SHOCK PROOF. It's great in the car but not so useful in the field for actual close in GPSr work. Stick with a real GPSr.

Personally, I've got a Navman PDA with built in GPSr and integrated maping. Works great in the car and even in the field. But I would not want to bring it out in the rain, snow, blowing dust, or any other environment then a nice day.

I also agree, I use GPSsonar. Good tool. I just copy the gpx file to the memory card and I'm off with all of the data for contained in the gpx.

AA, what you are saying makes perfect logical sense... I am still thinking about it........ since my PDA is also my cell phone, I would be carrying it on me while caching anyways....and maybe even logging in my find in the field. I know that it is not rugged like a handheld GPS..but afterall, very few cell phones are built to take the punishment a GPSr can. If I go this route, I'm mostly looking to get me to the cache parking, more so than the cache itself.......just thinking out loud Rolling Eyes

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:
Quote:
There may be a way to sync it, but I just copy and past the file to the SD memory card. I calculated it out once and figured you could get all the caches in the states of Florida, Georgia, and Alabama on a 1 gig card.

MS S&T didn't do a good job of off road routing. Getting to the cache site was all it worked for. Plus, like I said before, you can't see an iPAQ in sunlight. Test it out.

I did evaluate this software:Bee Line, but for some reason didn't buy it. Bottom line is that a PDA is not built rugged enough to hold up to outdoor conditions as well as a GPS unit. And you can see the display on a hand held GPS. Heck...get both and you will have lots of electronic toys to play with in the field!

I can copy and paste to the memory card like you said.....but I am trying to figure out a way to hot sync it to the memory card right from the "get go"
I agree that the screen is very difficult to read in the daylight....so is my laptop. ???? what to do......what to do?????

LOL new toys are always fun Cool
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:

I can copy and paste to the memory card like you said.....but I am trying to figure out a way to hot sync it to the memory card right from the "get go"

LOL new toys are always fun Cool

Do you really need all active caches in the 5 state area in your PDA (about 12,000 on a 1 gig card))? For me 500 is too many. I usually have 200 or so in the general area I am going and have yet to run out of do-able caches.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I figured out how to sync directly to the SD card instead of the device....the only reason I want to do this is because I notice the PDA gets slower when the memory gets used up (mostly if I have several programs running at the same time)...I figure I may as well utilize the 2 gig storage card as much as possible.

when I'm ready to sync, I can click on "folders"..than click on "device B"....than click on "storage card"...now simply drag the file there...I just gave it a good test by sending about 1300 caches tnere from my GSAK database ...worked like a charm.

In "the good ole days", I kept every cache in Minnesota ...starting with Alvin's Phone Line to the most current....now with 8 MN pocket queries...and growing, I don't have the energy and time needed to keep the pda up to date. My new plan is to just filter GSAK to give me the area I will be in and keep that up to date.

Thanks everyone for all your input...I now have most of my PDA issues solved...at least I can do paperless caching again....and I picked up some more tricks along the way.

Shawn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: