MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Practices - Duluth Parks and Recreation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Best Practices - Duluth Parks and Recreation Reply with quote

http://www.bestpracticesmn.org/bp/index.asp?bpid=54

This website is for local, county, and state parks to exchange ideas in recreation. They have also asked me to attend their convention to present geocaching as there is a lot of interest in it right now throughout the Minnesota parks at all levels. I don't know if I will yet, as I need special permission to leave city limits due to budget cuts.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope they allow you to give the presentation. It not only showcases Duluth as a progressive city but helps to showcase geocaching as well.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
I sure hope they allow you to give the presentation. It not only showcases Duluth as a progressive city but helps to showcase geocaching as well.

It sounds like it will get approved for me to attend. Now, to just overcome my fear of driving in "the cities".... Laughing
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
Arcticabn wrote:

It sounds like it will get approved for me to attend. Now, to just overcome my fear of driving in "the cities".... Laughing

That's what your GPS is for! Find the coordinates where you need to go, plug them in and you'll get there eventually, even without auto-routing! Smile
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attended the Best Practices yesterday...they said they never received my registration, but set us up at a table at the front. I'd say about 75 or so were in attendance and we probably talked to about 30 or so. When I say "we", it was Silent Bob and I. About every DNR person and some county (maybe city also?) park employees knew SB by site or from phone conversations. It was very obvious that SB has really done some work with various parks and the DNR....pretty much everyone we talked to already knew about geocaching and how the sport is progressing. Great conversations and well worth the drive (and the cities driving wasn't too bad at all!)...
Thanks SB!! (90 and counting...)
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, yes, it was an interesting time to say the least. I talked to:

* John from Ramsey County
* Carver County
* Chanhassen Parks
* Dakota County Parks
* DNR Forestry
* Eden Prairie
* Numerous members of the DNR from various units including the State Parks

Erin had some great literature on hand from Groundspeak and I had numerous pieces of information in paper format (we weren't close enough to an outlet to show off the slideshow of caching photos and powerpoint presentation I had on hand) including the powerpoint, some policies (namely Duluth), etc.

It was a great way to meet with the members of the park districts I have dealt with numerous times in person and over the phone. Thanks to both Erin and John Moriarty for inviting the MnGCA to this great event.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Anoka County there?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Was Anoka County there?

If they were, they didn't come over and say hi. On a related note, I have contacted Anoka County three times in the last two months about their work on the "Geocaching Feasability Study". They are currently busy with other projects but the study has been completed and submitted.

We'll keep you updated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: