MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minnesota State Parks Geocaching Guidelines
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I was right. It WAS a great idea.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Minnesota State Parks Geocaching Guidelines Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Following closely on the heels of the announcement last week of the Minnesota State Forestsí Geocaching Policy, the Minnesota Geocaching Association is proud to announce that after four years, our association has accomplished what it was formed to do.

Excellent job everyone!!

So are we going to disband the MNGCA now that we've accomplished its purpose? Should we all join North Star Cachers? Smile
onionpond
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a great effort by a lot of people. Remember that the people who sat in, and negotiated with the state, are volunteers who took time out from thier busy schedules, and lost valuable family time to do this for all of us. My hat is off to each and every one involved in these negotiations. Let us all repay them by not loosing this privilege.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Container size Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the hard work they did with the state parks/forests!!!! Very Happy

In the future it may be nice to get a change to the cache size by stating the largest cubic inch container available rather than the dimensions of a rectangular container.

Some food for future thought.

merkman
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Container size Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
In the future it may be nice to get a change to the cache size by stating the largest cubic inch container available rather than the dimensions of a rectangular container.

It's the DNR you need to suggest that to, not the MnGCA.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guidelines posted by the DNR allow for the possiblility of using cache containers outside the dimensions notes. To do so would require the dimensions desired be noted on the permit form and the park manager to approve.

edited 10/5/2006 by Paklid to get to the point faster

Last edited by Paklid on Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO it's not the larger caches that you need to worry about, it's the smaller ones, heh.

It's tricky though, a micro stuck on a sign would be okay, but a micro in the woods would cause trouble. A overly large cache just looks out of place, so it is good to have size limitations.

Anyways, I fear I'm getting off topic.. err something, usually it's best to just not yap too much. Take it as observations, nothing more.

*shutting up*
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it turns out, though the guidelines post specific dimensions for cache containers, the real test is whether the permit gets approved by the park manager. If you have a 50mm ammo can that you would like to place in a state park, you will need to note the dimensions (e.g. 5.75" x 7.25" x 11.25") right on the permit form. If the park manager reviews the form and approves of both the hide and the container, then you are allowed to use that "oversized" container. In addition to providing for the possiblility of employing "oversized" containers, having this approval mechanism would also potentially allow the use of cylindrical and other non-rectangular containers which don't fit the form factor specified.

Conversely, it is possible that you may propose hiding a 4"x8"x12" container. Even though those dimensions fit in with the guidelines, if the park manager believes that would be too large, it is within his authority to not approve it.

The key to the process is having a dialog with the park manager. He or she will be the reviewer, so early involvement will make the process work better.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first legal geocache placed in Minnesota has been approved and posted and it wasn't by a Minnesotan!

adjensen placed "Six Sisters" in Lake Bronson State Park. Cache page here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCYKET

Woot!
adjensen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working with the local park staff on this cache was interesting. We went to talk to them just a few days after it had been announced, so they were aware of the new policy, but really hadn't paid it much mind. We had a fairly long conversation with the ranger about the park and caching. Ultimately, his biggest concern seemed to be how many people this would bring to the park (though I couldn't tell if a lot of people would be considered a good thing or bad thing Smile ) and what impact cachers would have on their park.

Our cache and proposed location, along with the means to get to it (an established hiking trail, and a very clear game trail) seemed to allay their concerns. If I'd have wanted to nail a micro to the world's largest Jack Pine, I think they'd have had a different attitude Laughing

Thanks to MnGCA and MNDNR for a great gift to the geocaching community, not only in Minnesota, but in your friendly neighbours' states and provinces. Very Happy
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback about the process! I'd be interested in hearing about other's experiences with placing caches in State Parks...
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had an approval from a park manager to place a cache in a state park for a week now. Still haven't actually placed it because I don't have the container I need.

The process for me went like this:
I visited the park office and asked for the park manager. He had already gone for the day, so I talked over the prospective area I'd like to place a cache with the assistant manager. He was pretty non-commital, but agreed that where I wanted to put one would be a good spot. I had brought a few permit forms with me to leave in the office, and I filled one out with everything but the hide description and exact location. I left it with the assistant so he could give it to the park manager the next day.

I then hiked to the location and found a good place to hide a container. By the time I got back to the park office, everyone was gone, so I didn't update (with the coords) the form I left.

The next day, I called the park manager. He knew vaguely about the new policy but he had a bunch of questions about how the process would work.

I then filled out the permit form by modifying the online pdf file and emailed it to the park manager. This emailed form had the coordinates. I didn't specify any container size, figuring I would have an ammo can that would be within the specifications. I did call him again to say I sent it and that I was available to answer any questions. I never did meet him in person for this cache, but he remembered me from when I placed an Earthcache in his park. We had a real good discussion that day.

It took about five days, but I got an approved permit form back in the US mail. In the mean time, I actually measured my ammo can and found it to be oversize. Had I measured it before, all I would have needed to do was to include the actual dimensions on the permit so the manager could approve both the hide AND the oversized container.

Now, the manager's on vacation, so I either wait a couple more weeks, or I get a smaller ammo box from somewhere. Arctic says he has one, and he mentioned that the surplus store carries them. I might just go get one to get this thing placed.

All in all, it wasn't terribly difficult to get the approval. It might be the rare placement that can get done in one visit to the park though. My guess is that after each manager has gone through the process once, the questions about how it all works will abate.

By the way, he wants me to email him with the web address for the listing when it is published. That seems like a real nice way to close the loop on the process. Finally, he suggested that I put a notation on the cache page specifying that autos entering the park need to have a daily or annual permit - so I'll do that.
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found our first state park cache today at whitewater. Nice excuse to go back there on a beautiful fall day. (we hadn't been back to any state park since we started geocaching, and we used to spend nearly every free moment there.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: