MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medallion Hunting - 2004
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any MnGCA cachers ever hunted for the WC Medallion in groups? I haven't looked for the Medallion since the early 90's, myself. I would like to try my hand at it again. I would hope that my geocaching experience will have helped at least a *little* when considering what sneaky hiding tricks the WC folks may use to disguise the prize.
BB&D
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never gone medallion hunting, but my cousin in-law(is that an actual title?), who we've brought caching a couple of times, does so every year. He's talked me into going with this year by comparing the two activities, leaning much more to a puzzle cache. But, if by chance he finds it and I'm with, I better get something out of it.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hunted with towlebooth for about an hour on Raspberry Island. He had some great clue interpretations. And I got a new cache hide out of it.

Kitch became a crazy medallion hunter last year. mucluck and Diggin'_it are medallion hunters, converted to geocaching.

A New York film company (www.notanotherhollywoodfilm.com) has been here the past four years, making a docunmentary of the hunt. The world premiere is at Bell Auditorium in late January.

I take a week vacation to go medallion hunting. You like night 'caching? Try night medallion hunting. Very cool. I'll be out there morning, noon and night.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
I hunted with towlebooth for about an hour on Raspberry Island. He had some great clue interpretations. And I got a new cache hide out of it.

I didn't know you had a cache on Rasberry Island (or was it you just got an idea for a cache out of the conversation?).

BTW I'm one of the converts to geocaching from Medallion Hunting as well. Probably will take some time off this year to hunt even, now that my skills are a little improved (really I geocache mostly for the hunting experience, and getting to know the parks so I can more effectively hunt for the medallion).
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't know you had a cache on Rasberry Island

stolen

Quote:
BTW I'm one of the converts to geocaching from Medallion Hunting

I knew that ! I didn't think about it until driving in to work.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

Heh! Totally wrong interpretations, but fun!
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best part is seeing the weirdo's that are stupid enough to be looking for a hunk of plastic lost in the woods.

ummm...oh.....ummm...ah crap....I'm one of those weirdo's.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody ever been mean enough to hide decoys though? Twisted Evil
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
Anybody ever been mean enough to hide decoys though? Twisted Evil

s4xton and one of his friends were going to buy a slew of hockey pucks and hide them all over the place Wink
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

years ago...it was made out of metal.

People used to toss washers all across a field to "foil" those with the metal detectors.

Yes..people put out fakes...its funny to watch people pick them up and get all excited and sneak off like they found it.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I was wondering this year if some more convincing fakes would pop up because people saw what the medallion looked like last year.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna buy a box of donuts at SuperAmerica and throw them around the parks.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
Anybody ever been mean enough to hide decoys though?

We hide decoys called geocaches Wink (grin)
I had my cache "Stairway to Heaven" (in Battle Creek) stolen three times by Medallion hunters before I finally archived it and gave up on that park. Even though there was an info sheet included inside the cache container, Medallion hunters are suspicious enough to expect some sort of dis-information so they take off with the cache anyway.

I always enjoyed imagining the elated finder sneaking off with it and spending hours analysing the contents for secret clues. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think KB has had a *few* go missing during Medallion time as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, all the caches in Phalen were gone around the peak of medallion time last year, including two of KB's (and one of whatsagps's iirc).

Thankfully, after the hunt, King Boreas carpetbombed the entire area with caches, in what's now probably the most concentrated cache area in Saint Paul.

I suppose, if you spend a lot of time hunting the medallion, you end up finding a lot of places to hide caches. I enjoyed finding all of them around Phalen.

-Aaron
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing a safe bet during the 2 weeks of the hunt might be to temp disable and pull your caches (beats replacing em I suppose). I'll probably do that with mine (it could use the maintennance anyways).

I've got a few new ideas for caches, and if those get out before hand (hoping to get one out soon) I'll probably do the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: