MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache Trashed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
onionpond
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Cache Trashed Reply with quote

I'm putting this in the Northern section because it happened here. I stopped by to check on a new Cache I had put out not less than a week ago. When I got there I couldn't believe my eyes. It looked like a tornado had landed on the Cache sight. Some one was so intent on finding the Cache that they totaly destroyed the sight. I understand that for some this is a numbers game, and I'm OK with that, play the game the way you wish. But in the process of gaining one more notch on your GPSr do you have to completly destroy a Cache sight? Actions like this make me want to archive all my Cache hides and never hide another. What ever happened to LEAVE NOTHING BUT TRACKS, RESPECT THE LAND, RESPECT THE SPORT. Maybe David Ulmer was right when he feared that people would trash the land if this sport got too big. I don't know who all was at the Cache sight, but I have a request for whomever trashed the sight. Sell your GPSr and walk away from the game, the game wasn't meant for you. Find another game to play where people don't care about rules or respect.

ONIONPOND
uffda320
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

Onionpond,
I'm sorry to hear that someone trashed your cache site. I've had to move my caches due to carelessness either by fellow cachers or just rude and careless people. I just had my 2nd cache muggled recently. I tried to place caches that were not only easy to get to, but were fun to find and I try to place them in scenic places. It's getting to the point, I don't even want to put anymore caches out. I agree, if the people responsible can't abide by certain simple rules, it's time to pawn the GPSr and find a different hobby.

Uffda
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unfortunate but we've seen this in the cities as well. It's also unfortunate but your never really going to be able to stop it either. Some people just believe they have the right. Whether its acting like a bull in a china shop, bulldozing an areas or something else. I've even met some that say it's a rotting log, I'm just helping it decompose quicker.

Best I can tell you is to watch the logs. Eventually, the individual will give themselves away. But even then if you approach them they won't feel theyv'e done anything wrong. Sad. but that's why we also have poachers and theives. Its the nature of man.
Msea
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cell phones with GPS. I have seen more young kids out with these looking for caches. I even hung around while one was found. They were observed by a great number of other people as well and asking questions. Looking where they looked after, digging around. When they found it they jumped up and down and made a gigantic spectacle of the whole thing. I have also been on a TRAIL and had a couple of them bash through the woods in front of me in Lester Park tearing down branches with them. I think they are curious and will go away after awhile. Unfortunately they are causing a big mess. I know they don't post them either, because I checked for a couple days after I saw both of these things just to be nosy and nothing was ever listed.
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Msea wrote:
Cell phones with GPS. I have seen more young kids out with these looking for caches. I even hung around while one was found. They were observed by a great number of other people as well and asking questions. Looking where they looked after, digging around. When they found it they jumped up and down and made a gigantic spectacle of the whole thing. I have also been on a TRAIL and had a couple of them bash through the woods in front of me in Lester Park tearing down branches with them. I think they are curious and will go away after awhile. Unfortunately they are causing a big mess. I know they don't post them either, because I checked for a couple days after I saw both of these things just to be nosy and nothing was ever listed.

If you see that happening in a public park, you can call 9-1-1 or the community police officer...tho' I don't think Lakeside has one right now. If they are over age 10, they can be charged with destruction of public property or vandalism. There have been issues in Lester Park recently, and the police do have an idea of who is behind it.
Msea
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering what was going on around there. I have found more odd junk in the woods. And entire weber grill??? Is this the same sort of problems they were having up on Hawk Ridge a couple summers ago?
Msea
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I would love to find the moron who left two water heaters near the dumpsters too. Take them to the dump you lazy, cheap idiot...
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the headlines in the Sunday Duluth paper today I am wondering exactly how safe it is to be caching in Duluth. We both grew up in Duluth and for the past 2 years have contemplated seriously moving back. We started backing off when we heard about the taxes going up because of monetary problems and now with the crime statistics exploding upward, I don't think I would feel very safe- even with attacks on the Lake Walk, and expanding burgluries in formerly "safe" neighborhoods, and the police saying they basically can not fight this crime wave that has come into the city - we are seriously thinking of not relocating to Duluth. Plus the cost of housing is ridiculous.

I would seriously start be very careful when caching in Duluth. Read the article for yourself and decide how safe you feel in Duluth.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/index.cfm?id=24629
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had gang tagging in Morgan Park and Riverside (possibly the Vice Lords) the past couple of months and 2 active gangs in Gary/New Duluth...they are starting to get more bold, trying to establish the parks as their "territory". It has gotten to the point where it has been considered by admin to shut down rec centers, but we are trying to hold out...if the rec centers close, then the gangs will get the territory...
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO: It is the duty of local cachers to alert the caching world as to what "dangers" are lurking in cities or areas that may effect a caching experience or safety. It is then up to the individual cacher to decide whether or not to cache in that city- a report(map) was recently published for an area in the Cities(M/SP)- so it should be done for other citys. Can you Duluth people remember when the only rivalry we had was between East and Central, or Denfeld and Morgan Park or Central ? Geesh- it has gone way beyond school rivalry- huh?
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider caching extremely safe in Duluth for the caches that are in the woods...gets the kids out of those neighborhoods for a bit. I would be leary of some in town/city park ones at night, however. I've seen some strange characters at Irving during the day...where there are 2 caches...there have also been car break-ins in the past at trail accesses at the top of 7 Bridges road and 123rd Ave. W. where you can get on the Munger.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes- that Munger access was full of broken window glass even a few years ago when we were there- nasty stuff.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word: MPPA

Wink

or is it

Sad
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPPA is not a word and I assume that it doesn't stand for the Michigan Proffesional Press Associtation. Could you tell this exceptionally dense person what it stands for?
onionpond
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximum Positive Piston Acceleration ??

I'm just guessing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: