MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Out-of-town 'cachers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Out-of-town 'cachers Reply with quote

This coming Wednesday night, I and another member of my team are coming up to your area for three days to cache hunt. I was wondering if you knew of any inexpensive hotels in the area. We are primarily interested in a place to sleep, nothing fancy. Any information you have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Anybody have any suggestions ??
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always here! Wink
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that same email. And here I was feeling special!!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
napoleon1801 found Boreas Rex LXI (Dan Olson) (Traditional Cache) at 8/3/2006

Log Date: 8/3/2006
THE GOOD NEWS: Found the cache okay, it was my first day in St. Paul. The cache itself is not entirely weatherproof since the lid of the container was popping off and the log was damp. Luckily I had I snack baggie with me that I was able to put the log in. I took the Minnesota canoeing pin (one of my fav sports!) and left 3 quarters. I also snagged the presidential puppy for the return trip to oklahoma but.....

THE BAD NEWS: Right across from the dog park, black male (highschool age) comes up to me from the apt's to the west and asks me where the gas station was. Told him I wasn't from around this part of the city, and I left off to find the Scout cache. He walked behind me for a little and when I turned the corner he was gone and I thought I was in the clear. When I'm about a mile away from Scout cache I stop and am about to snag a drink from a local's water hydrant when the same black guy and his friend pop out from the bushes and yell "Give me the bag!" I went to the ground with my rucksack and clenched my arms tight to my body so I wouldn't lose it (I had my laptop inside just in case I was able to get some wifi to find more caches...) I wound up taking some punches to the face and yelled as loud as I could for some locals to help. There were about 8 people in the surrounding area I saw who did nothing. Sad The straps on my pack broke and I chased after those 2 guys (I ru
n 4 miles every other day, no way they were going to lose me), but then the third guy (black male, early 20's, well built) came out and pushed me in the opposite direction, also threatening to "pop a cap in my ***" if I didn't start running, so I took the hint. I didn't get to see the getaway vehicle, but a local told me that it was a red Taurus-like car. Also lost my digi cam and the evil duck travel bug in my ruck. Luckily the zippers were broken on the sides of my pack and Garmin plus my laptop power cord fell out. I'm sorry to lose both the bugs, I don't losing other people's stuff.

I just hope whoever goes into this neighborhood next will take a geobuddy preferably with some self defense training.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I found that one already. I don't think I'll be returning any time soon. The really sad thing about this is that no one went to help. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a story. I almost stopped in that area on Sunday, but I was cached out and went home for a nap instead. I have to say, though, that in all my travels around town, I've never really felt threatened. Creeped out once along the river, but never threatened.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the police would be willing to setup a sting to nab the offenders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, not the best area, but not the worst either:

http://www.stpaul.gov/depts/police/crimemap/may_06aggass.pdf

box #33
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about napoleon1801 loss of his stuff, thats one of the resaon I try to stay in the burbs, but that is not always sake either.

Did insurance cover any of your electronic?
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really knew why, but I always felt a little creeped out when caching in that park. Perhaps it had something to do with all of the broken auto glass in the parking lot.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good reminder for all of us. Won't change anything I do already, I try to stay aware as much as possible, take the Dobie when I can, and hide the valuables out of sight. Stay safe everyone and I'll see you all in 2 weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: