MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

River Bend Nature Center
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: River Bend Nature Center Reply with quote

I thought that the people here would like to know that John Blackmer, Chief Naturalist at the River Bend Nature Center in Faribault has expressed some frustration with geocaches in the area. The nature center has instituted a geocaching policy where caches must be registered, and it looks like he would prefer that the ones that currently exist also get permission. He posted his request to the Geocaching Guidelines database on the NorthStar Cachers web site.

You can read his full post in Arrow this thread.
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the full post (so that our users don't need to read through the unnecessary bashing going on in the rest of the post that you quote):

John Blackmer wrote:

We allow geocaches, but ask that any new cache be cleared with us prior to placement or listing. There are several on our site, but no one has yet to clear one with us first. Some were allowed to stay, others needed to be removed due to poor placement choice (sensitive or hazardous areas). It would be nice if someone would ask us first for once! This is an attempt to get that word out. We're a little tired of the "it's easier to beg for forgiveness" approach to cache placement, folks, and so are other parks...

Thanks for bring it to everyone's attention.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's interesting is that I cannot find the word "geo" or "cache" on their main page or visitor regulations. I am contacting John Blackmer via email to clarify the situation.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good contact with the head of River Bend... Nalani McCutcheon. A good family friend. Let me know if I should contact her.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearhead, it would be interesting to hear what info you get back from John Blackmer. I did a real quick search and only see one cache "in" the park and it has been there since 2001 (River Bend). There is a second, puzzle cache and the initial coords, appear to be in the south end of the park, south of the river, but since I have not solved this one, I have no idea where the final is.

The park map does look really cool with lots of trails, just might have to get down there to give it a closer look.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest wrote:
Pearhead, it would be interesting to hear what info you get back from John Blackmer. I did a real quick search and only see one cache "in" the park and it has been there since 2001 (River Bend). There is a second, puzzle cache and the initial coords, appear to be in the south end of the park, south of the river, but since I have not solved this one, I have no idea where the final is.

Snow White isn't really a puzzle cache; it's at the posted coordinates.

Also, it's possible there might be one other puzzle cache nearby with posted coordinates outside of the park which is actually located inside. Wink

Canned Cans (GCVZT4) is the archived one he was complaining about.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks pfalstad.. Saw the question mark and assumed.. that's what i get for assuming. A puzzle that is not really a puzzle... Hey, maybe I can solve that one Wink

I did take a look at the archived cache, boy was that an interesting picture.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John let me know this afternoon that the policy is not currently on the web, although it should be shortly. He reminds cachers that they should check with the River Bend Nature Center before placing a cache.

He told me that he has addressed any issues with caches currently in the park.

He also let me know that he does monitor caches in the park and finds the comments from visitors interesting.

I will post here if/when I'm made aware of the policy on their website.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an email from John today.

If you have or are planning on a cache in the RBNC, please review the page below and contact John before placing.

http://www.rbnc.org/GPS.htm
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sure seem to have a high level of professionalism:

rbnc wrote:
This cache was placed without permission of River Bend Nature Center and will be promptly removed if the owner does not remove it immediately and close this down. Please visit our web site for our geocaching guidelines (visit link) . We try to be geocache friendly, but geez.....Other geocachers obtained permission first, why not this one?!?!?!

Maybe they would be interested in working with the MnGCA in making a policy that's both less intrusive to geocaching and their parks while lowering the amount of administrative work they need to do.... unless John Blackmer wants to spend his time being a geocache big brother in addition to his role as the Chief Naturalist and Webmaster.

It's a disappointing policy. I stand behind the principles that geocaching should never interfere with the parks or other users of the parks... and that nobody else needs to really know about it either - it's supposed to be hidden. If people come across your cache by accident, you're not hiding it well enough. I urge the RBNC to give permission to geocaching and to maintain that geocachers need to follow the same rules as everyone else. It's the simplest and most effective geocaching policy there is.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree with your comments about their complete lack of professionalism. You cannot expect to be taken seriously when you post a note like that.

In fact, with all the trolls and sock puppets running around with 0 find accounts and no profile information on geocaching.com, I would certainly be weary of anyone that posted a log written like that to one of my cache pages.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I fully agree with your comments about their complete lack of professionalism. You cannot expect to be taken seriously when you post a note like that.

In fact, with all the trolls and sock puppets running around with 0 find accounts and no profile information on geocaching.com, I would certainly be weary of anyone that posted a log written like that to one of my cache pages.

Actually, before we jump all over the guy who, at least from what I've seen on this thread has been helpful to the board, perhaps we should see if that actually is NOT a sock puppet trying to start trouble. Just a thought I had that it would seem better than publicly bashing the guy on this thread.

But that's just my thoughts, I'm sure Zoejam will get things figured out.

Celticwulf
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with your sentiments, John really is an ok guy. When reading the policy page, it doesn't state that geocaches cannot be placed there. It seems his aim really is just to keep people and the surrounding area safe. I know that our local approver does not have the time to go out and verify the locations of every hiding place, so people like John are a serious boon to have around-- especially since that guy knows the whole park like the back of his hand.

In short, you have to draw the line somewhere. A little extra punctuation may make you seem unprofessional, but he's also trying to do something that many others won't, and that is to level with you.

A simple yet effective geocaching policy would be great for hiders, but it can give cachers a really bad name quite fast if a cache isn't placed with common sense or tact. This relationship is really two fold. If you work with John, you can be garunteed that the hide won't infringe upon the area, and it'll most likely keep you from digging around a garbage pit.

Quote:
This controversial cache has been removed - poison ivy, rusty cans, etc. Hope it gets replaced with a safer cache in an approved location nearby.

Doesn't sound like a cache I'd want to visit, anyway.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rbnc account is the actual account for the center but that's not to say that zoejam would know that.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't the punctuation. It was saying "Geez" that offended me. I believe that in order to be taken seriously, you must act professionally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: