MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing caches after visited by Socko

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Missing caches after visited by Socko Reply with quote

Anyone else notice this? Seven of my caches disappeared after his visit, one was destroyed, one was out in the open and hidden by Ko-Tis-Vey. I'm also aware of 3 Travel Bugs that were missing when he left town.

He was here at the end of March:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?ul=Socko&start=25

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?ul=Socko&start=50

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?ul=Socko&start=75

Now that I look, there could be a couple more.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a lot of logs immediately after theirs saying the cache was not very well hidden. My impression was that Team Socko was in such a hurry running through the area that they weren't very careful in rehiding.

A quick glance at some of the logs does show they were the last finders of many of the MIA caches. I'd be careful in accusing them of actually stealing them though as there was quite a time lapse between when they visited and when the caches turned up missing. The fact that they hit so many caches could explain why their logs show up on so many of the MIAs.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't considering any accusation. There were a couple I noticed a few days after they were here. I asked him about the bugs, but got no response. As more caches turned up MIA, it seemed more than a coincidence.

Of course, it would be easy for my 'buddy' to use this as a smokescreen.

LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Here's an amusing coincidence Reply with quote

Apparently Socko had the same thing happen to HIM in November...

In THIS THREAD

(Start the countdown for Centris to chime in.....) Wink Laughing
Nimbus'Ninjas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recently took a trip to the Milwaukee area for a wedding, and of course had to do some caching in our free time. All of the caches we did were placed by Socko (including a unique multi "Wat'er you looking for").

We found all of his caches to be well hidden/placed and recieved enthusiastic responses to his virtuals within a day.

I know this is only our opinion, but from our limited experience, he seems very conscientious......
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to stir the embers or anything, just an observation--In the start of the GC thread we were "lanced" to, Socko says that some of their "team" had caches targeted--maybe some of the team using the Socko account are concientious cachers, and maybe others aren't.
Socko
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Missing caches Reply with quote

I am writting this reply in order to try and clear up some misconceptions about our trip to Minnesota a few weeks ago. First off, my team consists of three people. Mel, my wife, Vincetti, my 15 year old stepson, and me. We have never stolen a cache in the 2 years we have been participating in this sport. Last year, 8 of our caches were stolen in a single day. We know what it feels like and wouldn't do the same to anyone else. Second, we did not steal any travel bugs. This subject gets a little sticky however. Vincetti has a condition called obsesive compulsive disorder, and manifests it by doing things a little differently than most people. I asked him several times if he had any of the travel bugs, and he didn't answer me. I finally had his mother pin him down and he admitted that he had three of them. His reply was, what's the big deal. I'm off all summer and can place them anytime I want. I had to lay down the law and tell him that the rules for travel bugs were that you reported them as soon as you collected them, and then you placed it as soon as possible. I think he understands now, and if not, I will keep a closer eye on him when we hunt in the future. Out entire team appologizes for the mishap. However, we still stand on the fact that we have never stolen a cache since we started geocaching. If there are any more question on this subject, feel free to email me and I will respond as soon as possible.[/b][/quote]
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Socko,

I hope you read my private message to you. I noticed when you registered and wanted to explain it a bit more. And thanks for your honest reply.

towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Socko. I hope this clears this issue up for everyone.

--tb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: