MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State or Twin Cities Wide Events
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geo-stu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: State or Twin Cities Wide Events Reply with quote

I am still trying to find my way around the site. So forgive me if I missed a calendar or something. But when is the next large event, either state wide, or twin cities wide?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You best bet is to check the top of the newest caches in Minnesota list, see here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?state_id=24

We also do our best to update the event list on the main page of MnGCA.org: http://www.mngca.org

The next event is Breakfast Buddies in Maple Grove, this Saturday, see here for more information: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=563ed0c9-c75f-4fa1-94dd-4527af623a29
geo-stu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my two cents is maybe MNGCA could get a calendar service or program? It looks like there is enough need for it.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geo-stu wrote:
Well, my two cents is maybe MNGCA could get a calendar service or program? It looks like there is enough need for it.

With an average of one event per month, planned and hosted by the MnGCA, I don't really see a need.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with SB here. It would be more work then it is worth. We don't try to track all events and those that we do track are posted on the front page pretty plainly. If an individual member is hosting an event and want's us to added it to the tote, I don't think that SB has a problem doing that.

Please remember that everything you see here is being done on a voluntary basis and takes time. We like to cache as much if not more then the next individual.
geo-stu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well again, this is my two cents. But the geocachingedmonton.com website is run by a couple who volunteer, with only one event a month (a dinner) and barely ever anything more. And that was just for one city, not a whole state. The major work would be just in setting it up, after that the members would be responsible for posting their own events, if I know how it works.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we're all confused as to what you mean. The events are listed on the main page of MnGCA.org as well as on geocaching.com. I just don't see the need to have calendaring code integrated with the site to add more functionality to what we already have.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...I'm not entirely confused by his idea. Basically, instead of just the list on the main page that's currently there, a calendar would be a more visual way of seeing what's going on where...and if it's able to be marked by members, things like the WeekNIGHT caching would be able to be listed there...although probably with maybe two different colors on the calendar for "official" geocaching events and just kinda get togethers.

I am however NOT saying this is a necissary thing right now with all the work that the board is doing for park approvals and working with the DNR...as well as if I suggest that it's something that should be in place I get the strange feeling some evil yeti would try to "volunteer" me to do it...and I suck at HTML Wink

Celticwulf
geo-stu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not, and did not run a community website like MNGCA or geocaching edmonton. SO I can not testify into what all would go into it.

The calender would be an added program, kind of like the forums. The events coming up would be listed on the front page, but with the calendar, people could scroll ahead days, months, whatever. They could post their own events, say a impromptu group geocaching for next tuesday night, or meal get togetehers, or meetings with government and park officials.

Does MNGCA need it, of course not, would it be useful once installed, I think so. You have a whole state of geocachers after all.
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO
The web keepers have more pressing matters.
The events forum works well for the events we have. Any one can add their event there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone who wants a calendar would step up to the plate and create one...then have others email him/her their events they want on it. Then MNGCA can just post a link on the home page to the calendar. I have one set up on Yahoo that is not really too much work to maintain...most of the work is just remembering my password Smile

http://calendar.yahoo.com/YYY,a8f45c/srt,0/erinwenneson2004/?v=2&t=1138780800
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have moved this to the appropriate area of the forum.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Edmonton site and looked at the calendar. Itís really nice. I even had a glance at the HTML, which was way complex for my limited experience. But once I started to dissect it, I thought that itís not completely out of the question, and maybe more a question of time, that someday a calendar might be implemented on this site.
For now though, as I look at the front page of MnGCA and see the few events listed, I have to agree that itís easier to view the list...you have several months-at-a-glance.
geo-stu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's so much the HTML, as it is the installing the CGI script. Likely the HTML you saw was put in by the script itself, not by a person. In theory, installing the calender would be the same as installing the message boards. It would take a day I would imagine to set it up, maybe less, likely less from my limited experience. The only thing is that it might cost money for a decent one, I doubt you would want a free calender, but I am just guessing.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
You best bet is to check the top of the newest caches in Minnesota list, see here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?state_id=24

We also do our best to update the event list on the main page of MnGCA.org: http://www.mngca.org

The next event is Breakfast Buddies in Maple Grove, this Saturday, see here for more information: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=563ed0c9-c75f-4fa1-94dd-4527af623a29

YO, WEBMASTER OR WHOEVER:

Other MN Events: Halloween Hoopla: Land of The Lost

October 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Website All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: