MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Optimal PQs; Covering the Metro

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Optimal PQs; Covering the Metro Reply with quote

I was wondering if there is anyone who has taken the time to find the optimal Pocket Query generation to cover the TC Metro area.

Ideally I'd like to be able to cover as much area as possible with as little overlap as possible with 4 PQs, saving my 5th for whatever "special occasion" I need it for. Just a little bit tired of going to WNC and realizing that a cache has been out of my radius pull and not having it sync'd to my GPS.

Also note: Selecting retrieve only those not found for a PQ is not an option unless I get some insane numbers.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first problem may be that your GPSr won't hold all of the waypoints contained in 4 PQs. Most GSPrs have a 500 or 1000 Waypoint limit. If you maximized 4 PQs you would get nearly 2000 waypoints.

My suggestion is shared PQs. There are enough of us out there to pull a PQ around one general area and then to share them to combined them into one very large .gpx. I know for me it still take me 6 or 7 PQs to cover the entire state for Traditional Only not found. So I would suspect it would take you several more. But if each of us was to take an assigned sector and pull one PQ then combined them we could easily get every cache in the state into one database. Interested?
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested!

How about this... any paid member who is interested generates a PQ around a given area and then have it pushed to a gmail account. Coordinating this would be a pain, but then whomever can login to this account, pull the files, and submit a master PQ to it in email form?

I use GSAK and whenever I go out I send the nearest 400 I haven't found to wherever I'm caching. I can handle a huge database of GPXs, so the 500 limit doesn't scare me as long as I can jump from database to GPS.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would GSAK then tell you which caches you've found already? You wouldn't see your finds in the statewide GPX in this manner.

Your best bet would be to have someone with a Unix machine get all the PQs and use some rickrich/gpsbabel/shell scripting magic to do what you want and make it available on a webserver for download.

It would probably be optimal, if you got it working to have 7 (or however many PQs it takes) people do one each thus saving 4 other PQs for themselves daily.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSAK can identify all of your found caches. If you take the statewide gpx and then add your found gpx you can get it to check mark all of our found. You then filter it for check marked only then delete them. The remaining would be your statewide unfound.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Sharing PQs Reply with quote

Just a reminder... sharing Pocket Queries is a violation of the Terms of Use of the gc.com site.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'doh!

Would one be following the spirit of the rule if only members had access to it? The share wouldn't be publicly accessable...

Perhaps I'll take a PQ, convert it to another XML format... lets say a .lucid file, and then send them somewhere? Razz
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1000 waypoint limit on my GPS is a much bigger problem than the PQ issue, for me. I'm always hitting that limit (especially since I have other points in there, like possible hiding spots, etc). But for PQ's, I've just had one statewide query for puzzles, and one nearby query for traditionals, and that's worked OK.. When I go outside of my radius, I do a one-off PQ. That seems to work, unless PQ's are broken that day.

But after reading this thread, I decided to try setting up PQ's for all unfound caches in Minnesota. I takes 7 queries, for me, and will soon take 8. I group all the caches into 7 date ranges, like someone suggested a while ago on this forum. If I do one query per day, I'm guessing that should work fine. I don't need them all updated every day. I could do the most recent date range query more often, so I get the newest caches all the time.
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Your best bet would be to have someone with a Unix machine get all the PQs and use some rickrich/gpsbabel/shell scripting magic to do what you want and make it available on a webserver for download.

I already have my machine do this, and I would LOVE TO SHARE if it wasn't for those gc.com rules. I can have it behind a password-protected area, where people would enter their gc.com usernames and passwords, then check to make sure that the entered user is a premium member. The down side is that people have to trust that I won't keep their usernames and passwords in a log or something. But still, it would be nice to have Surfer Joe contact his crew and see if a thing like that, with only premium members allowed and a way to take the load off of the servers, would even be allowed.
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd be interested to know is if PQs (post-processing) still fall under the ToS agreement with geocaching.com.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fidian wrote:
But still, it would be nice to have Surfer Joe contact his crew and see if a thing like that, with only premium members allowed and a way to take the load off of the servers, would even be allowed.

contact@geocaching.com

Silent Bob wrote:
What I'd be interested to know is if PQs (post-processing) still fall under the ToS agreement with geocaching.com.

I can't say for sure but my suspicion is that Groundspeak is concerned with the data in the PQs, not just the format.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: