MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disappointment with Geocaching.com site

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abe&Carly
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Disappointment with Geocaching.com site Reply with quote

Hi All,
I need some info. I was big into Geocaching a couple of years back and then had a kid and now want to start back up again, but there is one thing that is really hindering it....The geocaching.com website changed. It would seem that they took off the maps(mapquest) on the individual cache pages. Since I have an odd zip code(and search with it) it takes me to caches quite a distance from my house. Now I am not a member and haven't been for a while, but does the member view give the map still?
Thanks!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Disappointment with Geocaching.com site Reply with quote

Abe&Carly wrote:
Hi All,
I need some info. I was big into Geocaching a couple of years back and then had a kid and now want to start back up again, but there is one thing that is really hindering it....The geocaching.com website changed. It would seem that they took off the maps(mapquest) on the individual cache pages. Since I have an odd zip code(and search with it) it takes me to caches quite a distance from my house. Now I am not a member and haven't been for a while, but does the member view give the map still?
Thanks!

The maps work fine for me (and currently I'm not a Premium Member). There are a list of map links that will take you to other services (other than Mapquest) and I use Google Maps from that list.

As far as the zipcode search, I instead suggest that you "update your home coordinates" here: http://www.geocaching.com/my/home.aspx -- it will show you the caches nearest to the coordinates for your house rather than your zipcode and should resolve that problem for you.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you logged in? The maps aren't there unless you log in.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
Are you logged in? The maps aren't there unless you log in.

Didn't even think of that one!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Disappointment with Geocaching.com site Reply with quote

Abe&Carly wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks!

Welcome back! I remember finding some of your original caches.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Disappointment with Geocaching.com site Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Welcome back! I remember finding some of your original caches.

Indeed welcome back!! I found a few of yours too... always a nice hide.

Silent Bob is correct that you ought to update your actual coords rather than using your zipcode. It may take a few tries to get gc.com to accept them but keep trying, they eventually work Confused

Mapquest maps are still available, but they are further down the map list -- I still use them and they are still my favorite too.

You should consider coming on out to King Boreas 1000th hide event and doing a meet and greet... bring the baby, you'll have fun!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: