MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MontanaGPSQuest - In the Twin Cities
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone else notice that they changed the prizes after JT won. I am pretty sure that they were giving away passes to all the state fair concerts. Now, its cultural passes to various shows and museums. HMMMMM.....

PS- Still haven't been contacted.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PS- Still haven't been contacted.

You didn't happen to call before 9:00 did you? In the letter they sent Ian:

Quote:
Any calls prior to 9:00 are invalid

KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what do ya know, they do know where st. paul is.

Sucks for timing though, I have a meeting at work... can I make it? hmm

No, with traffic, there'd be no way I'd pull it off.

Maybe now that they've found this side, I'll have to be prepped earlier in the morning.

Really sucks though, I know exactly where that is, used to work nearby.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N44* 58.235' - W93* 14.812'

Midwest Mountaineering?

pretty [removed by software] close ... the race is on, oops sorry, I mean it's over.

Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Exclamation
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geocachers galore! On our way out to the St.Croix for some caching this morning, we (all Gilby3 and Smiling Duo) decided to try again for the the "Quest". We got there quickly, but just couldn't find the sticker. Then JT shows up, and still no sticker. Then, from the back side of the building, I hear my better half (Gilby #2) yelling "I found it!!!" It was a very proud moment for me to see her get the find.

Then it was time to just hang around and talk with other cachers. Lots of fun. I think out of the nine eight different groups there this morning, all but one were cachers. Cool to see everyone out.

And... While the search was on, it was fun to get a phone-a-friend call from someone down in the Lair needing some assistance. Its a caching small world.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. 1st finder does not necessarily win.

2. Although I realize there are ways around it, winners should be limited to one prize.

3. Cell phone is required.

4. Have fun. I am out.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
1. 1st finder does not necessarily win.

2. Although I realize there are ways around it, winners should be limited to one prize.

3. Cell phone is required.

4. Have fun. I am out.

In regards to #1, I am very aware of that.

In regards to #2, I understand your first part, but please clarify your second if you could. Limited to one first place prize total, or only one prize per day (family style rule)?

I hope your view is that only one person per household per day can win. That I agree with. Today my wife called in, and I did not. Even though I could have called also and probably received the 2nd place prize. I felt that her getting a prize for our family/house was the fair way to play this game.

If you were refering to getting only one first place prize total, I would have to disagree with you. Just because, everyone starts equal with every new morning. Time being relative, it's like a medallion hunt. If you were to find the Winter Carnival Medallion this year, and then have them tell you that you were not allowed to find it anymore. Sad I am pretty sure this is not your view. Smile

But, I could be completely wrong! Set me straight if I'm off base please.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's take it from another standpoint.

This contest is run by an organization trying to promote Montana tourism. It would be in their best interests to have as many different people possible win prizes, because that will increase their chances of having more people visit their state.

How does one person winning multiple prizes accomplish that? I'm not laying blame on anyone. Clearly it isn't stated in the rules that you can't participate everyday and take more than one prize, so why not?

So far I haven't seen one show up within a considerable distance from my house to make it worth even attempting myself, to me, blazing through traffic and risking a speeding ticket pales in comparison to winning a small prize.

The way I see it, one of the biggest problems so far is locations. If they were more spread out, other people would have better chances at winning.

Also a staggered or random time release would level up the playing field. Some people work 8 to 4 monday through friday, doesn't seem terribly fair to me that they can't participate either, save weekends when the odds of winning go up.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
let's take it from another standpoint.
The way I see it, one of the biggest problems so far is locations. If they were more spread out, other people would have better chances at winning.

Also a staggered or random time release would level up the playing field. Some people work 8 to 4 monday through friday, doesn't seem terribly fair to me that they can't participate either, save weekends when the odds of winning go up.

I spoke on the phone with the person running the promotion, and he said that they will address the starting times for future promotions. But, they can't change this one now.

As for the St. Paul/Twin Cities, don't worry. He assured me that it is spread out to both cities.

I can understand your view that from a promotional standpoint they would want as many different people as possible to take first prize. But, they also have many other prizes for people who find it after the first person.

To me, its not the prizes. Don't get me wrong, they are a bonus. However, I would assume that it's the same for a lot of other people. It's the quest to find it and to find it first.

This is posted at the top of almost every page on the website.

"Begin your quest

Get plenty of sleep and drink lots of water, because this is a 28-day adventure. If you’re not the first to find the day’s hidden postcard, there’s always tomorrow. And if you do win, keep on playing — you can win as many as you can find."

This is their first time doing this promotion. They are taking all suggestions very seriously. And if possible, they are making the game better on the fly. This game has a ton of potential, and some room to improve. If they told me today, "You've been 1st once now, so you can't win it again." I would stop. However, this is a cross promotional idea. Not just for Montana. The stores that are participating with their windows, are looking for business too. To which, I have bought something in every participating business that has been open while searching for the sticker.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they also have many other prizes for people who find it after the first person.

I've called twice, and neither time was I asked for identifying information so I could be awarded a prize.

Code:
Suggestion:

1. Post the photo, then an hour later ...
2. Post the map, then an hour later ...
3. Post the coordinates
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
Cool contest for people who don't work 8 to 5.

Arrow Exclamation
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby3 wrote:
As for the St. Paul/Twin Cities, don't worry. He assured me that it is spread out to both cities.

So far 2 in st. paul, 5 in minneapolis. So far I'm seeing a trend.

TheGilby3 wrote:
But, they also have many other prizes for people who find it after the first person.

Vacation planners? KB's note about not being asked anything while calling in, only being told he wasn't first is also a valid point.

TheGilby3 wrote:
To me, its not the prizes. Don't get me wrong, they are a bonus. However, I would assume that it's the same for a lot of other people. It's the quest to find it and to find it first.

I doubt many people would drive out of their way for an unloggable cache that didn't have a FTF prize. I understand your point of view on it, sure there's the thrill of beating everyone else to it.

TheGilby3 wrote:
This is posted at the top of almost every page on the website.

"Begin your quest

Get plenty of sleep and drink lots of water, because this is a 28-day adventure. If you’re not the first to find the day’s hidden postcard, there’s always tomorrow. And if you do win, keep on playing — you can win as many as you can find."

Since it's a new promotion, I don't know if they considered people going after all of them and winning more than a few, still, if that's what they seek to encourage, I guess that gets more people to the businesses. However I can see people getting discouraged after seeing someone else win a few times and decide they don't want to play anymore. Running a contest is always tricky I guess.

TheGilby3 wrote:
This is their first time doing this promotion. They are taking all suggestions very seriously. And if possible, they are making the game better on the fly. This game has a ton of potential, and some room to improve. If they told me today, "You've been 1st once now, so you can't win it again." I would stop. However, this is a cross promotional idea. Not just for Montana. The stores that are participating with their windows, are looking for business too. To which, I have bought something in every participating business that has been open while searching for the sticker.

I understand this is their first time, and it's evident from the rules and gameplay. I hope they take suggestions seriously, I took some time to write them a well thought letter on the promotion, not being a "sore loser' just some thoughts to level the playing field as it's very apparent some people have more of an advantage (not everyone lives near the locations, and not everyone has a cell phone, heck some of the general public don't even have gpsrs).

Since I haven't heard of other prizes anyone has won (please if you won something for calling in after the FTF, post here and correct me) so it hasn't been in my best interest to go to these businesses, as I could go anywhere not running a promotion and buy stuff just as easily.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 down, 19 to go

2 - Gilby clan

2 - Lizard boys

3 - the field
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not going to attempt this one unless one pops up in a reasonable distance to my house. Something I don't have to fight traffic over.

Besides, some other stuff has come up requiring more of my attention.
Posen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there at 9:05....Lizard was there this morning but we didn't find it for 25 minutes...it was 150' from ground zero...kind of like some of my early cache hides...oops!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: