MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MnGCA Cannonball Wilderness Run (MnGCA Spring Event)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: MnGCA Cannonball Wilderness Run (MnGCA Spring Event) Reply with quote

The 2006 MnGCA Spring Event will be held June 10th, 2006 just North of Faribault in Rice County’s Cannon River Wilderness Area. This park offers over 850 acres of varying terrain, gorgeous vistas, and more than 5 miles of hiking trails just waiting to be discovered.

The event has been approved and is posted here.

The MnGCA will be offering free lunch (brats, chips, potato salads, soft drinks, etc) for those that are interested and RSVP up to 10 days in advance (6/1/2006). We are asking for people to bring a dessert dish to share. Make sure you post on the cache page what you’re bringing so that everyone knows what yummy food there will be! Smile

There are five caches currently in the park and I plan on hiding a ton more (with help). These will be *real* listed caches and will be either for your own leisurely enjoyment or part of a “Cannonball Run” where you will see how many you can find in the park. The person with the most finds in the shortest time will win an MnGCA Geocoin and some logowear.

After the meeting we will be having door prizes and awards. Door prizes are open to everyone! Yay, free stuff!

Please do put the event on your watchlist and plan on attending!

When did you say it was again? June 10th, 2006 (8:00 AM - 5:30 PM)

Where was it at again? Rice County's Cannon River Wilderness Area (about 4 miles North of Faribault and 5 miles South of Northfield).

What are we doing there? Eating, caching, chatting, and getting free stuff!

Post any questions or comments below!

edit to make it sticky
edit to remove sticky

Last edited by Marsha and Silent Bob on Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Oneied Cooky
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMMMMMMMM Brats! argh drooul.... Cool
onionpond
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is camping in the park, or in a nearby site? Thought it might be a good thing to make a weekend out of it.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onionpond wrote:
Does anyone know if there is camping in the park, or in a nearby site? Thought it might be a good thing to make a weekend out of it.

There are 4 "primitive" campsites in the park. I will likely be using one the night before so that I'm there early enough to nab the shelter.

I haven't asked about reserving them but based on the fact that they don't have reservations for the shelter I figured it was safe to not have to reserve those either. I have an idea where *1* of the campsites is located, I don't know where the other three are.

----

"Camp Faribo" (9.6 miles away) -- some information here: http://kare11.exploreminnesota.com/lodging/2291.html

Roberds Lake Resort and Campground (5.8 miles away) http://www.roberdslakeresort.com/index.html

Lake Byllesby Regional Park (24.5 miles away)
http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/parks/byllesby.htm
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I bring the ponies? Can I camp with the ponies?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe everyone should sound off what dessert they plan to bring so we don't end up with 50 green jello molds with carrots in the middle.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmm carrots and jello!

I'd prefer that RSVPs and dessert items be listed as notes on the event cache page. It keeps it all in one place -- especially for those that might be in attendance but not following the event thread on the Forum.
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
...jRest for being cute...

Shocked Shocked Shocked ?????
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drat19 wrote:

You'd know what that meant if you'd quit skipping WeekNIGHT/WeekDUSK caching. Smile
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
drat19 wrote:

You'd know what that meant if you'd quit skipping WeekNIGHT/WeekDUSK caching. Smile

Funniest part is that Drat was at the WeekNIGHT event that started it all Laughing

Really, he just needs to get around to listening to the podcasts like we keep telling him too Twisted Evil

Celticwulf
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
Funniest part is that Drat was at the WeekNIGHT event that started it all Laughing

Really, he just needs to get around to listening to the podcasts like we keep telling him too Twisted Evil

Celticwulf

That's right, drat was there! And it has been a weekNIGHT tradition ever since. Smile
ajayhawkfan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All! Last year I stumbled into one of you events in Duluth (Lester Park Bash) and met a few of you. I met a few more when you came to MOGA, outside of St. Louis. Now I am PLANNING on making the trip to MN for this event. It is not a sure thing but I am going to try.

My plan is to drive up Friday night and stay the night in a hotel. When possible, I prefer to stay in a local inn or historic hotel. (I travel a lot and stay in chains a lot.) Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay near the event?

From Kansas City, MO
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajayhawkfan wrote:
My plan is to drive up Friday night and stay the night in a hotel. When possible, I prefer to stay in a local inn or historic hotel. (I travel a lot and stay in chains a lot.) Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay near the event?

Howdy, Jayhawk! I'm not overly familiar with the area south of the Event, but I'm sure there are some nice places in Faribault. I'll ask a couple of friends and see what they have to say.

The next (small) town north is Northfield, where my best friend lives. I'll see if she has any recommendations as well, but we've eaten at The Archer House, a "Historic River Inn" opened in 1877 that today has 36 individually decorated rooms and misc retail, and is right in the middle of downtown Northfield (great if you like antiques and boutique shopping). Both restaurants are good, and even though it doesn't really fit the area, the one Indian restaurant has great food (especially if you like Tandoori ).

Having never stayed there, I don't know what it's *really* like, but the lobby areas and the inside/outside parts I've seen are really nice. Here's a link to their website, if you want to see pictures of the inn, the rooms, and read a lil' on the history of the place:

http://www.archerhouse.com/index.html

Good luck, cya at the event!

-Ken
ajayhawkfan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! I'm looking forward to going!

Where and when will be beer drinking event be held?
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best place to drink in Northfield is The Contended Cow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: