MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geo-Woodstock 2007

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Geo-Woodstock 2007 Reply with quote

Memorial Day weekend

I think it would be a blast to have a Minnesota convoy at this national event. My biggest problem is a 25+ year family tradition of camping on that weekend.

A few of you may have met CCCooperAgency. Lynn is on a committee attempting to host GW5 in Erie PA. Here is the info she gave me:

Quote:
Dear Moderator,

We are writing to inform you of and ask for your support of a bid to host GeoWoodstock 5 in Erie PA over Memorial Day Weekend 2007. Our group consists of CCCooperAgency, MsKardiac and Goldsnoop of the NorthWest PA Geocachers, and dr. clean of the Ontario Geocaching Assoc. Together, we have been able to secure the venue and have proposals out to local hotels, college dorms, and campgrounds to secure lodging.

Hosting an event of this caliber is an enormous undertaking. We are looking for "official" support from regional groups that would like to see the event come to Erie, PA. In the case of groups where no formal organization is in place, individual endorsements would be very helpful. Cache density in Erie is among the highest in the nation with over 1000 caches within a 50 mile radius of the city of Erie. And since half of that area is Lake Erie itself, you can imagine how many caches we have. The split is about 50/50 micros to regular caches so there is truly something for everyone.

Past GeoWoodstocks have been plagued with some negative publicity, mostly focusing on so called "pocket caches" and "numbers runs". We have requested the assistance of a senior approver to come on board to make sure that everything we do and endorse is 100% above board and Groundspeak approved. We truly want to make this an event with
something for everyone, so in addition to the event itself, which is a big party with 700+ cachers that will come from all over the country and the world, there will be peripheral events including several different cache runs, including a handicache run, a 4x4 run, a Neanderthal run (where every cache kicks your butt), a run to the Niagara Falls Gorge, and yes, a Park & Grab run. Having something for everyone means just that. A Friday night Meet & Greet dinner and Sunday Farewell events will also be
planned.

Please feel free to post this memo in its entirety to your own groups. Please email mskardiac@yahoo.com with any questions and/or with your support.

Thanks so much!

The Erie GW5 Committee:
Lynn Black (CCCooperAgency)
Jim Stewart (dr. clean)
Kathleen Storer (MsKardiac)
Ted Tupitza (Goldsnoop)

I believe there are three states being considered. California and Pennsylvania are the leading possible sites. I have no interest in visiting California for this Event, but Erie PA would be hard to resist.

Comments??
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in if they decide on Erie!

Brings up a good question though, has anyone from Minnesota ever attended a geowoodstock event in the past?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
has anyone from Minnesota ever attended a geowoodstock event in the past?

According to mtn-man, no.

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice?
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had not gone to the Ingawanis outting in IA this year, I would have considered going to the geowoodstock event. If we put something together, I would consider going.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in as well as a solid maybe Laughing

I know I'd be interested in going if it's in PA, and caching there and back would be fun as well...so I'm interested...

Celticwulf
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they've just made a decision on GW5 and it's going to end up in North Carolina...at least thats what I saw in the GC forums...

CW
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to attend it, even in NC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: