MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New coin spotted on GC.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: New coin spotted on GC.com Reply with quote

Hey all, I just spotted this post on the gc.com forums, and I figured since it's for "twin ports" geocaching, that's pretty much Minnesota to me Wink I've already emailed to request some, and also reccomended that the OP on that thread post something over here, but just in case others want to jump in on this quickly I wanted to let people know...they look like cool coins and I'm going to get at least one extra to give to my Parents who still live up in Duluth.

Hope people like seeing these posts...

Celticwulf
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: New coin spotted on GC.com Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
Hey all, I just spotted this post on the gc.com forums, and I figured since it's for "twin ports" geocaching, that's pretty much Minnesota to me Wink I've already emailed to request some, and also reccomended that the OP on that thread post something over here, but just in case others want to jump in on this quickly I wanted to let people know...they look like cool coins and I'm going to get at least one extra to give to my Parents who still live up in Duluth.

Hope people like seeing these posts...

Celticwulf

Of course we like seeing these posts, especially since it is a coin that has to do with our beloved Duluth! Smile

I sent them an email requesting two coins.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's getting closer to a minnesota trackable coin...
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:

I'm sure somebody will have some sort of reason to release a MN trackable coin some day.

My bets are on the 'noles clan Cool I would queue up to buy one of those (and then I would place it in Vena Cava)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if someone did make a trackable minnesota coin, I would buy a couple...
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
KC0GRN wrote:

I'm sure somebody will have some sort of reason to release a MN trackable coin some day.

My bets are on the 'noles clan Cool I would queue up to buy one of those (and then I would place it in Vena Cava)

Actually, I'm guessing that since the non-trackable coin this year did so well, and that they've redone some of the rules for trackable coins, I would expect that the next MNGCA coin would most likely be trackable. No inside info here, just what I'd say is probably a reasonable expectation...but since the 2006 coin is out now, it would be the 2007 coin...not too much to wait on IMHO. I'd kinda expect the "coin committee" will get active again in a few months and things will work out.

But that's just me being somewhat rational...when did that start??? Wink

Celticwulf
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know. I'd seen that, and wasn't that wild about the design, but I took another look... I don't like the blue ones, but the black ones have raised gold metal, it looks like? That's pretty cool I guess. And it's Minnesota! Ordered one.

Boy, people sure like to whine about coins and coin prices.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
I would expect that the next MNGCA coin would most likely be trackable. No inside info here, just what I'd say is probably a reasonable expectation...

*crossing fingers*
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:

LOL thanks for the vote of confidence, but no need to buy one - you know you'd get one for free! But believe it or not, there are no plans for a 'Noles family coin...yet. I've bandied the idea about casually, but there are serious problems with using the University logo on an unlicensed commercial product, and we're just not creative enough to come up with a good design anyway. Since the person that's releasing the Duluth Bridge coin is actually a Wisconsin resident, the honor of being the first Minnesota cacher to mint a trackable coin is still up for grabs! Smile I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility of there being an FSU coin down the road, but I'd *really* like to see an "official" MN coin come from the MNGCA first - I'm weird that way.

And pfalstad, ya, you noticed the posters on the "big board" are a wee bit ornery over price, design, and so on? And you thought people HERE were sensitive, I feel bad for the poor guy touting his own coin, only to get flamed by the people he's trying to sell to! ah well, what can ya do-

-Ken
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
Since the person that's releasing the Duluth Bridge coin is actually a Wisconsin resident, the honor of being the first Minnesota cacher to mint a trackable coin is still up for grabs! Smile I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility of there being an FSU coin down the road, but I'd *really* like to see an "official" MN coin come from the MNGCA first - I'm weird that way.

You're right. The first "official" MN trackable coin ought to commemorate something or to mark an event that makes geocaching in MN special. Something that has meaning to cachers here..... not just somebody's generic personal coin (not that those aren't nifty).

I agree about prices too - the trade in geocoins has gone up so quickly that it hasn't given the market time to adjust (elementary microeconomics). Production costs have gone higher even with all the competitive manufacturers out there, plus the cost of tracking just went up again at the end of April. I don't know how anyone out there can sell their coins for less than $7 -$8 and still break even.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
I agree about prices too - the trade in geocoins has gone up so quickly that it hasn't given the market time to adjust (elementary microeconomics). Production costs have gone higher even with all the competitive manufacturers out there, plus the cost of tracking just went up again at the end of April. I don't know how anyone out there can sell their coins for less than $7 -$8 and still break even.

Yeah, most of what I saw on that thread was a culmination of the frustration some of the collectors were feeling about some very BASIC designs being sold for $12-15 for major profits. To me, this is not what I'd call a basic design Wink

One thing that people over there are also forgetting is that the raw material (metal) costs have gone up a TON recently...I'm working in the sheet metal buisness right now and what we're getting back for our scrap material is getting close to what we were paying for the original material a couple years ago.

But yes, I like it over here better on these boards because although there may be some flames occasionally, we mostly try to get along because we know we'll probably meet eachother on the trail or at an event sometime.

Celticwulf
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
I feel bad for the poor guy touting his own coin, only to get flamed by the people he's trying to sell to! ah well, what can ya do-

One of the better reasons why I won't sell my personal coin (now if I could just come up with a good design...). Bah, but I gotta inventory what I have first, clean that mess up.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
fsu*noles wrote:
I feel bad for the poor guy touting his own coin, only to get flamed by the people he's trying to sell to! ah well, what can ya do-

One of the better reasons why I won't sell my personal coin (now if I could just come up with a good design...). Bah, but I gotta inventory what I have first, clean that mess up.

The thing I'm impressed by is he's fronting all the money himself and waiting until he has the coins to grab the money...very nice way to do it with the way many of the "personal" for profit coins have been going. Plus he's going to be putting a bunch in caches as well to travel, so that's great IMO.

Now to just justify to myself that I should just dispose of savings in coins instead of saving it Wink So far justification hasn't happened...but if I can just win that Powerball, personal coin here I come Wink

Celticwulf
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FSU-- You may check with a cacher that goes by ajayhawkfan. He's in KC, and has a personal coin with the KU Jayhawk as the icon (and I'm guessing it's somewhere on the coin) I kind of wondered about the whole licensing thing as well. I know one of the coins was dropped down south of the metro and another one dropped in Eau Claire... that one is moving towards Milwaukee, the other one that was in Fairbault is temporarily missing in action. Having said all that, KU still sucks, but you may get some info on how to get an FSU logo on a coin, as I'm guessing coin mfg's wouldn't put it on there if there was a copyright issue, so he must have fixed that somehow.
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
FSU-- You may check with a cacher that goes by ajayhawkfan. He's in KC, and has a personal coin with the KU Jayhawk as the icon (and I'm guessing it's somewhere on the coin) I kind of wondered about the whole licensing thing as well. I know one of the coins was dropped down south of the metro and another one dropped in Eau Claire... that one is moving towards Milwaukee, the other one that was in Fairbault is temporarily missing in action. Having said all that, KU still sucks, but you may get some info on how to get an FSU logo on a coin, as I'm guessing coin mfg's wouldn't put it on there if there was a copyright issue, so he must have fixed that somehow.

I actually sent him a couple of e-mails a few months back, and in response got a few very short, vague messages that basically said he had to assure the coin minters that the coins would *never* be for sale. I had asked for advice in how to approach the minters, what guarantees he had to give, if he was liable if his coins went for sale on Ebay (which they have), and so on - but never really got any good info back. I let it go, but now that he's coming to the big picnic in June, I may have to corner him and ask him more questions in person. Smile Smile Smile I will admit, I'm jealous and amazed he got that logo on a coin AND an icon - gives me something to shoot for!

From a bit of independent research, my only legal option is to contact the Florida State University copyright & logo office, and beg for permission...which means I'd have to include somewhere the "NCAA officially licensed logo" paraphenalia somewhere, AND pay a fee to the university. Somehow, I suspect that fee is a just TOUCH more than our annual booster dues, so I haven't followed up because I suspect it's just not worth it.

In addition to Jayhawks, I've seen Penn State geocoins and a Notre Dame one - and my favorite, a "Redwing Dave" geocoin with a big 'Wings logo AND the Stanley Cup on the front. And one major coin manufacturer has a Utah Utes coin prominently displayed on their front page. I know it can be done, I just haven't done the legwork yet - I will when I get serious, but it's gonna be at least a year or so!

-Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: