MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vacation Etiquette
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Friar Cadfael
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Vacation Etiquette Reply with quote

My family and I enjoy camping quite a bit, for a variety of reasons. My daughter and I love to geocache along the way. Is it okay to hide a cache in a location that is too far from home for us to service and ask someone to adopt the hide? If so, is there a procedure in place to acomplish this? Thank you.

Friar Cadfael
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to get a cache listed a long way from home if you can convince the reviewer that there is someone local, preferably a cacher, who has agreed to maintain it for you or if you can convince him/her that you frequent the area often enough to maintain it yourself. There is no procedure in place for finding locals to maintain your caches. You have to figure that out for yourself.

That said, hiding caches is best left to the locals who are familiar with the local regulations and hopefully know the cool locations to place them.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving this over to Geocaching Websites.
Friar Cadfael
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
You may be able to get a cache listed a long way from home if you can convince the reviewer that there is someone local, preferably a cacher, who has agreed to maintain it for you or if you can convince him/her that you frequent the area often enough to maintain it yourself. There is no procedure in place for finding locals to maintain your caches. You have to figure that out for yourself.

That said, hiding caches is best left to the locals who are familiar with the local regulations and hopefully know the cool locations to place them.

Thanks for the reply. That makes a lot of sense, so maybe it would be better to simply find the caches left by the locals, no matter how enchanting the location.
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SurferJoe -

I have not hidden a cache yet, but would like to place a few in the Hugo, MN area. As the reviewer could you give me any pointers on what you'll look for in a submission? I'd like to smooth out the bumps in the process for you (and me) as much as I can. What gets missed most often, things you always seem to have to ask for, etc. Hope you can help.

HB
-Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HugoBear wrote:
As the reviewer could you give me any pointers on what you'll look for in a submission? I'd like to smooth out the bumps in the process for you (and me) as much as I can. What gets missed most often, things you always seem to have to ask for, etc.

The most important thing is to READ and UNDERSTAND the Guidelines. Don't just check off the box that said you read them on the cache submittal form. This should go without saying but is is obvious that many folks skip this step.

The other information you should familiarize yourself with is the local geocaching restrictions.

The most common newbie mistakes seem to be:

• Placing a cache within 528 feet of another cache.
  • Placing a cache in an area that doesn't allow caches (National Wildlife Refuges, State Parks, Wildlife Management Areas, etc.)
  • Placing caches withing 150 feet of active railroad tracks

Other things you can do to help me review caches efficiently:

• Post a reviewer note describing the area the cache is located and who it belongs to (city park, county park, etc.).
  • Use the additional waypoints feature to report stages of multi-caches or actual coordinates of puzzle caches.
  • When submitting puzzle caches, post a reviewer note telling me enough about how to solve the puzzle to show me that you have provided enough information to make the puzzle solvable.

If you have questions, it is best to ask before placing the cache.

Surfer Joe
Posen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Placing a cache within 528 feet of another cache. "

but 529' would sometimes be okay?!?!

Wink
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome info. Thanks.

Another Q for you would be this.

I see that there are a few places that have published caching guidelines (three rivers, ramsey co, washington co, etc.). What about the ones that don't? For example, the City of Hugo. There's nothing about caching (pro or con) in anything I've read online or otherwise.

Do I have to bring this to their attention, opening Pandora's Box as it were, or can I place caches in the city parks and you approve them as being on public land with no published opposition to them being there?
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HugoBear wrote:
Do I have to bring this to their attention, opening Pandora's Box as it were, or can I place caches in the city parks and you approve them as being on public land with no published opposition to them being there?

I know there have been a number of discussions on this forum and everyone has their own opinions about whether to contact the city/county before placing caches in public parks if there are none yet. I understand both sides of the argument so I'm not sure what is the best thing to do, but I tend to be on the side of "don't ask, don't tell."
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
HugoBear wrote:

I know there have been a number of discussions on this forum and everyone has their own opinions about whether to contact the city/county before placing caches in public parks if there are none yet. I understand both sides of the argument so I'm not sure what is the best thing to do, but I tend to be on the side of "don't ask, don't tell."

One thing I have seen is that there are many park areas that do know about caching but do not want to have a "formal" policy in place because of the work that involves as well as the liablity concerns. Many parks/cities view it as a valid use the same way picnics and playing frisbee. It really depends...and yes, I tend to also be in the don't ask/don't tell bandwagon Wink Although with private property you must ask...and as we saw on our Chip. Valley outing, some of the private buisnesses have a lot of fun laughing at people trying to be stealthy Razz

Celticwulf
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HugoBear wrote:
I see that there are a few places that have published caching guidelines (three rivers, ramsey co, washington co, etc.). What about the ones that don't? For example, the City of Hugo. There's nothing about caching (pro or con) in anything I've read online or otherwise.

The geocaching.com guidelines state:

Quote:
By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location.

(emphasis is mine)

What exactly "adequate" means has been subject to many long and heated discussions. You have to decide yourself what it means in ambiguous situations. But the reviewer gets the last word. Wink
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe a lot of cities/park districts are aware of geocaching going on in there parks and are watching it to see what develops and would prefer to not be forced into making a yes or no answer as to whether or not it is allowed.
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJ - thanks for the insight. I'm on the road for a while but you can expect a few to review when I return!
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, upon reading the geocaching.com guidelines, I should get busy and get to the 7 caches here at Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan, which is a Military Installation, before they get pulled. Even though I have now read the guidelines closer than I have in the past 5 years, I'm not going to be the bad guy and pull the caches over here--there's enough cachers that get deployed here to justify keeping the caches in place. There's nothing in the guidelines about minefields, so I guess I can hide caches outside the wire, which happens to be one of the most heavily mined areas in the world. Twisted Evil

Edit: Added smiley to let people know I'm kidding about hiding caches in minefields!!!

Last edited by 15Tango on Thu May 25, 2006 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Posen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15tango---thanks for serving! As for the caches IN a minefield, I'm not the approver, so I can't judge, but for my kid's sake, please don't put sharp knives or live ammo in the caches! Wink
Stay safe...hunt on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: