MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket Queries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Msea
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Pocket Queries Reply with quote

I bought a Palm off ebay for $12, let the frustration begin....

I have run pocket queries, I get the results on the search page of the caches I want, that looks correct, but I never get anything e-mailed to me. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I even had someone else look at it and do one and nothing.

I have waited several days now for one and I did a few others this morning, I read they are run in batches, so I thought maybe I was at the end of a batch. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can think of a couple of things to check.

First. After you run the query right click the view results and bring it up in another tab or window to ensure that you got results.

Second go back to the list page and see if the query posted on the page. After a few minutes refresh the page and see if it says it sent it.(Last Generated Column). This would be the date and time that the query was sent to you.

Third, go check your profile and make sure you know what e-mail address you are listed under. Unless specified you queries go to what every address you have listed on your profile. If it is correct, good.

If you have access to another e-mail address run a query and at the bottom of the query page choose the alternate e-mail radial button and enter that address. Hopefully that address may be with a different service provider. Check the list page and after it generates go check that e-mail address.

If the list page says it is sending it out and the e-mail address are correct, check your junk mail filters on e-mail program.

Lastly, if you are going for a 500 cache query it will generate zipped file anywhere from 500Kb to 2Mb in size. Does your service provide even allow large attachments? If not then they are getting filtered out at the service provider.

At least this may give you a couple of things to check. Post your results and we will see what else we may come up with to help out.

Arctic
Msea
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I have the desktop going, the laptop next to it and the palm, if there is a power surge, I am going to be a burnt piece of toast! I am ready to hurl the whole lot of it out a window.

In the generated column, it states that they were generated
Name Copy Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Last Generated (PST)
Preview (100) New Query Never
Preview (35) New Query 5/6/2006 12:55:32 PM
Preview (100) New Query 5/6/2006 1:04:41 PM
Preview (40) why won't this work??? 5/6/2006 1:45:52 PM
Preview (50) New Query 5/6/2006 3:28:32 PM
Preview (20) New Query 5/6/2006 4:49:17 PM
Total Queries/Day 1 0 0 0 0 0 5
This is a cut and paste of the screen. I checked the email address and two of those were suppse to go to another account. I get to the screen where it states the report was generated, but nothing shows up in my in box. Any other suggestions?
Michelle
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my email providers blocked messages from geocaching.com because the site was marked by a real-time black hole list. It basically said that the mail server that geocaching.com uses to send out the pocket queries is a SPAM gateway. It doesn't say if geocaching.com is the abuser or if that ISP just allows SPAM to get forwarded through their servers.

If your mail provider uses RBL checking with that particular RBL server, all emails from geocaching.com's pocket queries will be silently bounced back to the sender. You might need to get another email account, like gmail or something else.
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Tech Talk.
Msea
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I THINK I got it. I have no clue what I did or didn't do. I had them coming out the wazoo for a few days. I deleted those and did two new ones and those worked perfect! I could not get them all on the palm, but I messed with some formatting numbers and got it!

The only thing now is I can't get the range to expand past 50 miles, I think I saw something about that prob in another forum, and of course now I can't find it. Any ideas? I am not going to complain, I am totally happy with what I have gotten at this point! Thanks for all the help too, I really appreciate it. Thanks again.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Msea wrote:
The only thing now is I can't get the range to expand past 50 miles, I think I saw something about that prob in another forum, and of course now I can't find it. Any ideas?

I don't believe there is a distance limitation for PQ searches. You specify the search radius to whatever you wish when setting it up. But remember, there is a 500 cache limit so you may be running into that. The PQ of my nearest 500 unfound non-puzzle cache currently goes out less than 30 miles from my house (had it out to about 42 miles in mid-winter).
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My queries are set up for gathering all the active caches in Minnesota. I thought I got real smart in exporting my GSAK to excel and sorting by date and numbering the column to develop my own "placed dates" that would yield 495 caches in a query.

Well, in my seven queries that I thought I'd need for all of the active caches in Minnesota, I think I'm over the 500 limit on 5 of them. Maybe the extra waypoints are contributing to how quickly each query fills up.

Does anybody know what the current dates are to use for nabbing all the active caches in Minnesota (without exceeding the 500 limit)? I presume we're up to 8 queries now.

Thank you, and goodnight.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do this myself but there are only 3370 active caches in the State of Minnesota. 7 PQs should cover it all.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
My queries are set up for gathering all the active caches in Minnesota. I thought I got real smart in exporting my GSAK to excel and sorting by date and numbering the column to develop my own "placed dates" that would yield 495 caches in a query.

Well, in my seven queries that I thought I'd need for all of the active caches in Minnesota, I think I'm over the 500 limit on 5 of them. Maybe the extra waypoints are contributing to how quickly each query fills up.

Does anybody know what the current dates are to use for nabbing all the active caches in Minnesota (without exceeding the 500 limit)? I presume we're up to 8 queries now.

Thank you, and goodnight.

That's a very good question. Something I would like to know too.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:

I don't look at the total in each query each time I run it, but I try and glance at it once in a while - I don't believe any of these are over:

All of MN, up to JUNE 1, 2006
All of MN, up to April 10, 2006
All of MN, up to December 31, 2005
All of MN, up to August 30, 2005
All of MN, up to April 15, 2005
All of MN, up to August 15, 2004
All of MN, up to October 31, 2003

The dates listed above are the end dates for the placed by selection.. For example, the Aug 15, 2004 query is set to run for caches placed Nov 1, 2003 to Aug 15, 2004.

rickrich had a utility he used to figure out these dates I think, although I never tried to use it.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't looked at this for awhile, but these are the dates I used...

11/1/00 - 10/15/03 = 499
10/16/03 - 7/27/04 = 499
7/28/04 - 4/3/05 = 496
4/4/05 - 8/10/05 = 496
8/11/05 - 11/23/05 = 497
11/24/05 - 3/27/06 = 498
3/28/06 - whatever = 384

as it has been awhile, I eneded up redoing some as I think several in the batches were archived etc.

Good luck.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished adjusting the dates on my pocket queries that query all of Minnesota to take into account archived caches that no longer show up.

1 - 11/01/00 - 10/20/03 = 492
2 - 10/21/03 - 08/07/04 = 493
3 - 08/08/04 - 04/15/05 = 497
4 - 04/16/05 - 08/27/05 = 492
5 - 08/28/05 - 01/07/06 = 494
6 - 01/08/06 - 04/15/06 = 497
7 - 04/16/06 - 06/20/06 = 490
8 - 06/21/06 - 12/31/06 = 299

#8 was almost to 500 so I'm sure it will be time to add #9 real soon.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added an 11th PQ to keep up with all of Minnesota!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shocked when I saw this. I haven't touched mine for a while and I shouldn't need to for a little while yet. I went back and counted as I didn't think I was near 11.

Turns out I am - I have 10 of active caches and one that pulls the inactive ones (there are 139 inactive caches right now).

Kudos to SJ for keeping the inactive list restricted to ones that are temporarily disabled instead of "permanently disabled".
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: