MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replace WeekNIGHT with WeekBIKE for the summer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Replace WeekNIGHT with WeekBIKE for the summer? Reply with quote

Due to the poor turn out at last nights WeekNIGHT Crew, some of us had the thought that perhaps for the summer (which many people say they don't watn to go caching in) we should consider doing WeekBIKE caching. These don't have to be 10 mile epic rides, they can be short 3-5 mile rides too, but many of us would like to get some more exercise and more caches on an outing. The last WeekBIKE trip was on public streets and some bike trails over a 7 mile trip that bagged us 9 caches. It wasn't too hard to plan, and everyone had fun.

One idea we had was to do WeekBIKE every other week, and base it around weather. Another idea was to rotate between WeekNIGHT and WeekBIKE caching, so do BIKE one week, then NIGHT the next week.

I'm just proposing an idea, and am interested in seeing the discussion that follows.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be interested, at all, in doing WeekBIKE caching and honestly, prior to this year, a 6 person turn out for WeekNIGHT Caching was considered a success.

You n00bs, always think you know everything Wink Wink Wink Smile
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Replace WeekNIGHT with WeekBIKE for the summer? Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
One idea we had was to do WeekBIKE every other week, and base it around weather. Another idea was to rotate between WeekNIGHT and WeekBIKE caching, so do BIKE one week, then NIGHT the next week.

Either one sounds good to me.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I wouldn't be interested, at all, in doing WeekBIKE caching and honestly, prior to this year, a 6 person turn out for WeekNIGHT Caching was considered a success.

You n00bs, always think you know everything Wink Wink Wink Smile

I realize that a 6 person turn out was a success in the past; but recently that hasn't been a huge success, and in the past we haven't done WeekNIGHT caching durring the summer...you oldies forget everything!!!!

I'm just suggesting that if people don't want to go out caching in the woods over the summer, perhaps some people might enjoy biking around and getting some nice park caches.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Replace WeekNIGHT with WeekBIKE for the summer? Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
... but many of us would like to get some more exercise...

"like", or need? Wink

As for the change, I am game. That is, with permission from the "Old Timers" (oooohh... two and a half years ago). This would be considered a "CHANGE", and we know how some of them feel about that! Wink
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Replace WeekNIGHT with WeekBIKE for the summer? Reply with quote

TheGilby3 wrote:
"like", or need? Wink

Point taken.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Replace WeekNIGHT with WeekBIKE for the summer? Reply with quote

TheGilby3 wrote:
As for the change, I am game. That is, with permission from the "Old Timers" (oooohh... two and a half years ago). This would be considered a "CHANGE", and we know how some of them feel about that! Wink

Ahem, 3 next month! Wink And I get my exercise three times a week + caching Wink

Oh, and another thing, I didn't get a tick last night and almost everyone else did!!!
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion.

WeekBike will always have less turn-out overall. Why, first not eveyone want to bike 5 or 10 miles. Second, your hitting many more caches therefore your going to have a harder time trying to please everyone. If your route has 8 caches and their not all new it's going to be less likely to get a lot of committments.

WeekNight was originally a winter thing becaust of the after dark fun to caching. As well as during the summer months many of us had other after work activities (mowing the lawn, other sports, kids etc.) that don't take up the time in the winter. WeekNight was also oriented around one or two finds and then off to socialize. I don't see you doing a WeekBike night to go find one cache and then bike to the bar.

IMO you can do both. Neither have a requirement for a large turn-out and can always be cancelled if there is not enough committment on line. I think that we have been pretty good about stating whether we can or can not make it. There's nothing stopping any of us from posting just as you have already done for a different night meet to go caching. That's what our forums are all about: communication. I just wouldn't expect the same type of turn out as in the winter months.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Replace WeekNIGHT with WeekBIKE for the summer? Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:

Ahem, 3 next month! Wink And I get my exercise three times a week

Hmmm, I always thought you looked a little more muscular in your right arm than your left, and now I get it Wink .
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Replace WeekNIGHT with WeekBIKE for the summer? Reply with quote

TheGilby3 wrote:
Hmmm, I always thought you looked a little more muscular in your right arm than your left, and now I get it Wink .

My GPS is a little bigger than yours, duh.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see seperate autonomous events. What does it matter if so few turn out for either event? Small groups are actually more fun than larger ones and it isn't as if these events are held at any particular expense to the organization. How about... show up for what you want to do?
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace WeekNIGHT with WeekBIKE for the summer? Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:

why choose? what's wrong with doing both every week?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace WeekNIGHT with WeekBIKE for the summer? Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:

His wife probably won't let him out with his girlfriends on Tuesday and then hang out w/the men on Wednesday Wink
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace WeekNIGHT with WeekBIKE for the summer? Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:

Two reasons, the first is that there was much discussion of stopping the WeekNIGHT Crew when the daylight saving time changed, and we have had less people attending since then.

Second, (and this is admittedly a selfish reason), I want to limit my activities to one night a week, so I can spend more time with my family.

I realize that there is absolutly no reason that we HAVE to join them together, but since we had already discussed stopping the weeknight crew, and turn out has been down, I just thought I'd suggest we combine the two activities into one, so we had one weekly event, rather than two.

The whole purpose of this topic was to just discuss the possibly of doing this, to see if there was any desire to do so.

So far it sounds like there isn't great support for doing this, and I'm ok with keeping both, I was just making a suggestion.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zman, no worries! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: