MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New log type: "Discovered it"?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: New log type: "Discovered it"? Reply with quote

(Relatively) hot off the presses comes this announcement from Groundspeak. Anyone seen this yet? Not trying to start another rehash of the arguments over the old "notes" on TBs, just thought it was interesting...

---Original Post---
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=131456&hl=
Quote:

>Today, 08:58 AM

Lately there has been an increase in logging activity for Travel Bugs and Geocoins. Unfortunately many people were picking up and dropping these items into the same geocache so they could increase their find count or receive a new trackable icon in their profile. As a result we have created a new log type which also goes towards your profile count without causing unnecessary extra movements for the trackable item.

The new log type is called "Discovered it" and can be used if you have the tracking number for the icon. Please use this if you have no plans to move the Travel Bug or geocoin to a new location.

--------------------
Jeremy Irish
Groundspeak - The Language of Location™
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats there to argue about, seems like a good idea to me. If I meet you FSU at a breakfast buddies, and you show me your coins and then hand me a sheet of paper that has the numbers on it to log the coin, rather than me taking the coin out of the BB event, then dropping it, I just choose discovered it and I get credit for the find...same result, but less website activity, seems like a good idea to me.

Perhaps there is some downside that I haven't thought of yet... I'm open to considering downsides if someone has any.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the event logging that has been going on in the past, this is great news because it leaves things go much quicker, and I'd figure less work for thier databases.

The only problem I could see with this is if it's used incorrectly for TB's actually moving through caches. This may end up having stat happy people just going to caches and writing down numbers, but leaving TB's there to sit...when I know with the ones I've sent out I want them to actually move. But really, unless the game changes a TON with this, I don't even see this problem occuring that much.

Celticwulf
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't logged onto gc.com in a couple of days. May have to go and check it out.
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
whats there to argue about, seems like a good idea to me.

My fault, I wasn't saying it was necessarily a bad idea, in fact I think it simplifies things - as an owner of 60-odd TB's and coins, god knows a reduction of the number of messages when they're picked up and dropped in the same cache will be welcome (for me).

Way back once upon a time though, people could post a "note" on a TB, and get credit for it. Then GC made a change to the way TB's were counted, and many people *lost* credit overnight for bugs they'd posted a note on, but hadn't moved. I lost something like 65 tb's that way, and to many people - potentially some here in these forums, and many elsewhere - it can still be a sore subject.

So what I was saying was, I wasn't trying to reopen old wounds or start a big debate about TB's and notes, I was just reporting the news and that's all. If GC had done something like this to start with, they could've saved themselves a whole mess of a headache up front.

Hope that makes more sense - thanks! Smile

-Ken
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I wasn't aware of that. Well, it sounds like this is the plan from the start so hopefully they won't revoke this in the future and cause those problems again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Perhaps there is some downside that I haven't thought of yet... I'm open to considering downsides if someone has any.

It's not a downside so much as something that was eliminated in the past due to it not being a part of the bug's real purpose. Travelbugs were originally meant to *travel*. Originally, people could make a note log on the bug and it counted towards their stats.

Well, in 2004 (IIRC) Groundspeak was tired of this and eliminated it thus eliminating (sometimes) 100s of bug logs from people's stats. I believe Centris (1st cacher to 1000 bugs) went from 1008 to like 650.

I don't see the need for this myself but I don't care about bugs or coins. I don't log coins at all but I will only log a bug that I move. That's my opinion and it's not good or bad or wrong or right.

I'm just confused as to why they decided to eliminate the note log as counting and have now reintroduced a new type to do exactly what they eliminated before.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I'm just confused as to why they decided to eliminate the note log as counting and have now reintroduced a new type to do exactly what they eliminated before.

They are just giving in to the reality of all the coin sharing that goes on at every event these days.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
They are just giving in to the reality of all the coin sharing that goes on at every event these days.

To me, it seemed far more prevelant before. Then again, I guess I paid more attention to it at the time even though I didn't log them. Now I try not to pay any attention at all Smile
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, clearly Jeremy is responding, via a new web site feature, to the fact that so many people are now playing the "how many icons can I get?" game.

I've been to events where folks bring one of those coin-collector binders, and they pass it around so everyone can log the numbers and get new icons on their profiles. Whoopity doo.

So we now have both Micro Spew and also Icon Spew. Once again, y'all who have cranked your stats and icons since mid '04 know nothing about how the game USED to be played. Sigh.

**Edit: Moe must have been typing his reply right at the same time I was!***
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drat19 wrote:
So we now have both Micro Spew and also Icon Spew. Once again, y'all who have cranked your stats and icons since mid '04 know nothing about how the game USED to be played. Sigh.

At least they put the icons on a seperate page where I can't see them cluttering the real stats. Now, when they remove the Locationless "finds" I'll be 100% happy Wink
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of it was probably that they wanted the "note" log to be able to be done by anyone WITHOUT the TB number. By allowing notes to count, that made it so people could get the stats just by logging a note without ever seeing the item in question (and yes, I know some still do that by emailing, but we won't go into that here). And as to why people would write notes on bugs that they don't have the TB number for...perhaps to say "hey, this is no longer in xxx cache" or various other scenarios Wink

However, they have since realized that people ARE playing the game as they choose, and using the tools that are there (grab/drop) which take tons of time and resources, so instead they've added a new type that DOES require the TB number to get the stat, but doesn't use as many resources as all the movements do.

Make sense?

Celticwulf
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
Part of it was probably that they wanted the "note" log to be able to be done by anyone WITHOUT the TB number. By allowing notes to count, that made it so people could get the stats just by logging a note without ever seeing the item in question (and yes, I know some still do that by emailing, but we won't go into that here). And as to why people would write notes on bugs that they don't have the TB number for...perhaps to say "hey, this is no longer in xxx cache" or various other scenarios Wink

Well, I realize that you weren't around at the time, but you did have to have the TB number in order to log a note on the bug.

Quote:
Make sense?

Only if you're one to log coins w/o moving them I guess.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I realize that you weren't around at the time, but you did have to have the TB number in order to log a note on the bug.

I kinda figured by the way you'd phrased things, but that meant that there was no way to log a note on the TB page to say it's missing, or add another comment if you like.

And it seems like everyone plays the game they like, so the best groundspeak can do is see whats going on and make it easier on themselves/their servers when they see trends. See "waymarking" for how they did that with Locationless Wink

*thinks the Yeti is jealous cause he doesn't have his own coin* Twisted Evil

Celticwulf
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
*thinks the Yeti is jealous cause he doesn't have his own coin* Twisted Evil

Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: