MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great western MN get-together
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Great western MN get-together Reply with quote

I have been contacted by a few cachers in this area. (Not sure why that is. Maybe it's because I have the area somewhat saturated with caches, or the one with the most cache hides anyway.) Shocked Some of the cachers are in eastern South Dakota, also. They are interested in possibly getting together to meet and chat about geocaching. Not sure what or when they want to do this, but am trying to see if there is sometime a bunch of us could get together and talk about geocaching.

I have directed them to MNGCA but am not aware of any of them having signed up. My guess is that most of the geocaching events and such are closer to the TC and they don't care to make the long drive. Anyway I was just letting you know that we might get together and see what happens.

Maybe we can plan an event out this direction next year? I would have to see how many would be interested in that idea.

I think I'm babbling now. I'll let you know when I find out anything.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Great western MN get-together Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
I have directed them to MNGCA but am not aware of any of them having signed up. My guess is that most of the geocaching events and such are closer to the TC and they don't care to make the long drive.

The MNGCA implies all of Minnesota. They don't have to participate in events here but they can use this as a resource for their own.

Quote:
Maybe we can plan an event out this direction next year? I would have to see how many would be interested in that idea.

As I have mentioned before I would be very willing to come out and visit the area again. Perhaps an event would draw more of the TC-regulars out there. There are a few beautiful and worthwhile caches that *I* have visited and I am certain there are plenty more Smile

If you set up an event cache (it's not hard to do) it's likely that you will get more people to attend than if you just make it an impromptu thing w/o any state-wide notification.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see more events throughout the state! Go for it!!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is the wrong area, but since you're talking about all of minnesota, I thought it'd be interesting to do something up in Brainerd MN sometime. I used to live up in that area, and thought it'd be neat to take a weekend caching trip up there.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW,

a small group has been discussing an overnight trip to loneeagle_24 land, for caching, camping, carousing. I even have a dozen possible hides in mind. To get this kick-started, any recommendations for camping, late April-early May?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
FWIW,

a small group has been discussing an overnight trip to loneeagle_24 land, for caching, camping, carousing. I even have a dozen possible hides in mind. To get this kick-started, any recommendations for camping, late April-early May?

http://www.lyonco.org/depts/publicworks/parks/camping.htm

That's what loneeagle_24 recommended back in 2004 when I was asking about having an event out that way.

From my talks with Mr. Anderson (of their park system), they are closed for Turkey hunts from mid-April to mid-May (up through Memorial Day Weekend).
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To get this kick-started, any recommendations for camping, late April-early May?

There is a campsite right in town here. I'm not sure when it opens for the season, (but they normally have a chain blocking the entrance to the camping area, during the off-season), I would guess around the end of April or first week in may. I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for for facilities. There is a bathroom facility right on site.

Hey if you guys do decide to come out this way please let me know. I might be in the middle of getting a garage put up but would probably HAVE to stop and chat with all of you. After all the camping area is within EASY walking distance of my house. House is just up the hill from the campground. There's a cache even not far from this campsite.

http://www.montechamber.com/montecvb/camping.htm

This is the campgrounds. It looks like there are 10 sites with 8 of the 10 having water and electric hookup. They even have Showers in the building. There are no reservations for these sites.

Otherwise the next closest would be the state park that is just 12 miles northwest of town. They just built the new campsite a couple of years ago at LQP state park. Sites are real nice from what I hear, but not much for older trees though. You could go to the other side of the river though. I think they still have those sites open yet.

Last edited by loneeagle_24 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:21 am; edited 2 times in total
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

http://www.lyonco.org/depts/publicworks/parks/camping.htm

That's what loneeagle_24 recommended back in 2004 when I was asking about having an event out that way.

This is about 60 miles away. It is a VERY NICE area but might not be real close if you're looking at getting most of mine around here.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
any recommendations for camping, late April-early May?

I forgot about Dawson. It is about 17 miles straight west of Montevideo. They have a site I believe with about 10 spots for camping. This site is fairly close to the highway though. Not real decent for campfires and such.
mabutter
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be camping at the Country Inn and Suites this weekend Laughing
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mabutter wrote:
I'll be camping at the Country Inn and Suites this weekend Laughing

Nice choice, but much more expensive. I'll wave on my way to work this weekend. I won't be too far from where your staying. Just work a bit north and east of the country inn and suites. I even have a multi stage right behind where I work. It has a Tb and a jeep in it. The last time I looked last fall anyway.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lagoon looks perfect. I'll have to discuss this with my cohorts. We'll let ya know. Beer, pop, coffee, or ??
onionpond
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Great western MN get-together Reply with quote

[quote="loneeagle_24"]

[ Maybe we can plan an event out this direction next year? I would have to see how many would be interested in that idea.]

I'm up for something on the west side.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked with the city & it sounds like they open the campground sometime between the 15th of April and the first of May, depending on the temps and the spring thaw. Although I don't think we have to worry about a spring thaw. We didn't get that much snow here.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked with the city on pricing for the campground. It is $12 for one night and $60 for a week if you decided to stay that long. Maybe you'll like the peace and quiet of a small town instead of all of the noise and such in the cities and decide to stay a bit longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Southern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: