MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chippewa Valley, WI EVENT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posen wrote:
He'd make a great first leg for my next Multi-

Until Coyote III eats him. Smile
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coyotoe III almost did eat him. We warned the cute blond with the huge dog of the squirrel up ahead... I think if the dog would have gotten him, it'd have been a bloody pulp... too bloody for a Posen cache Wink
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
I don't know much. Last I heard at 2pm, I think they had found 10 with no DNFs. But they told me they had called FSU*Noles once and he sent me a text message they had called him again for help. Smile I tried calling celticwulf about 6pm and no answer.

LOL ok, so I was keeping mum, but now that I've been ratted out I can admit it, I did offer some advice over the phone. Smile So Lucid calls me *right* in the middle of a production meeting, so I can't answer it right away. But I ring him back, and the crew's having troubles with the Devil's Punch bowl.

Another local cacher had been at that exact same cache a few days before, and called me as well. I told him *exactly* the same thing I told Lucid's crew: it's hidden in a very Posen-like manner, the coords are off by about 40 feet, and the hint refers to something that looks like garbage. This other cacher flailed around uselessly in the woods to no avail, and went home in shame and defeat, with his tail tucked between his legs. (I won't mention this cacher by name, because then jREST would be all embarrassed.)

Lucid's crew, on the other hand, was all excited by the new info, but had already left the Bowl. So they drove back to the cache site, looked around, and called again. I gave 'em the same info as before, and as I'm talking to Lucid, I hear some *very* excitable cachers in the background whooping up a storm. (My guess, Celtic) Wink They confirmed that the original hint was indeed gone, and they came prepared with a replacement hint - those guys are good! We'll see how long it lasts before someone trashes out the hint again.

Thanks guys for letting me relive the excitement from afar, I'm glad I was able to help! AND more importantly, for giving me more ammo to heckle this other local cacher, whose identity again I shall protect, other than to say it starts with a "J" and rhymes with "jREST". Smile Smile Smile

-Ken
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
I gave 'em the same info as before, and as I'm talking to Lucid, I hear some *very* excitable cachers in the background whooping up a storm. (My guess, Celtic) Wink They confirmed that the original hint was indeed gone, and they came prepared with a replacement hint - those guys are good! We'll see how long it lasts before someone trashes out the hint again.

Yeah, both Lucid and I had an idea what the hide was like, but with the coordinates being off and the hint being useless while we were there, it made what they call a 2 dif into a 4 dif without fail. Zman kept wanting to say it was gone, but Lucid and I tend to be more persistant at times.

Thanks a TON to FSU*Noles for the assistance...and no, I didn't break ANY speed limits to get back to the cache area Embarassed

I'm going to wander back to the chip valley page tonight or tomorrow to "log" the caches in there and go over some of the fun, but overall a great time was had by all. And yes, I'm sure all can be done in a day, but Lucid and I have also figured out (with last saturday's 30 and the chip valle) that we're not in the elite of speed cachers yet...we keep getting distracted by things like hiking and brewery tours Wink Or the all famed quote by Lucid "No, we should just hike, my maps don't show any parking lots over there. (.25 miles later) Wait, where'd that parking lot come from???"

But yes, everyone that's thinking about wandering over for this event I'd say go for it...even if you only do a few they were all very fun to find. And we only ended up with a few Ticks on us, and I think I was the only one with one attached on the way home, so it's all good.

Celticwulf
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="celticwulf"]
fsu*noles wrote:
Zman kept wanting to say it was gone, but Lucid and I tend to be more persistant at times.

First off, you guys didn't give me correct information, I was under the impression that the "hint" was the cache container...and second off, we had spent almost an hour and a half at that site, I was ready to move on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
LOL ok, so I was keeping mum, but now that I've been ratted out I can admit it, I did offer some advice over the phone. Smile

Sorry, I didn't think it was a big secret! Smile
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
Sorry, I didn't think it was a big secret! Smile

LOL no biggie to me, I'm always happy to field phone calls - I'm well used to it by now! Some people don't like to post that they actually had to call someone though, and I've sometimes been asked not to say that I helped, so I was just trying to be sensitive to the Celtic/Lucid/Zman crew in case they hadn't planned to mention the phone thing. It's not a big deal at all, but what IS is this:

FSU*Noles wrote:
it's hidden in a very Posen-like manner, the coords are off by about 40 feet, and the hint refers to something that looks like garbage.

I just want to make it clear: there are THREE separate, true, statements there - and the last two (bad coords, hint refering to garbage) in NO WAY reflect on the first one, or should imply anything about Posen. My fault for not being clear - sorry, Posen!!

Off to find some food -

-Ken
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:

I just want to make it clear: there are THREE separate, true, statements there - and the last two (bad coords, hint refering to garbage) in NO WAY reflect on the first one, or should imply anything about Posen. My fault for not being clear - sorry, Posen!!

That whole 40 feet off might still apply for when Posen chooses to deter those FTF'ers Wink
Posen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucid, if I posted the actual coordinates right away, the FTF would be awarded in the first few minutes...coordinates off by a mile or two just heightens the fever of the hunters.....

Last edited by Posen on Thu May 18, 2006 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err... the FTF, anyways :p
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
My photos from our adventure can be found at:
http://www.photogoround.com/PhotoViewer.cfm?AlbumID=40

Nice Photos, love the ones of the lil yellow guy climbing on the hat for a ride.....seems I have seen him somewhere before...............
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Punch Bowl looks quite a bit different in the winter although there was a broken TV down there too http://gallery.lazylightning.org/gc-20041218

I can't believe that was in 2004! I remember that cache like I had just been there.
GPSr
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Chippewa Valley Coin in the mail today!! WOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it GC trackable? (I don't think so, but...)
kent1915
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Nope Reply with quote

Nope, coins are not trackable this time around. We went simple to start especially since they were giveaways... Part was determining turnout for the event. I/We are hoping to make it a yearly thing, and if so, broaden our horizions to have trackable coins, other event stuff, end of event gathering, etc.

So, COME ON OVER and please feel free to get Newbies involved to try this too!!!!

The coins are nice; Although there is some discussion about who the person on the coin looks like....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: