MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chippewa Valley, WI EVENT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kent1915
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: CV EVent Reply with quote

Oh, and the cache FSU* noted; that cache was pulled from the event. It was located at a B&B who indicated that all the woods were theirs and fair game. Apparently they did not know where their boundaries are. No more F-bombs.
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
PolarOne you better be prepared for a LONG day and a early start.

For those planning on going - you should easily be able to look for all 32 caches, time is not an issue if you concentrate and don't lollygaggle like we did. We ran short for several reasons: first, we were taking our time, and didn't get there until 9am. Second, we deliberately didn't restrict ourselves to JUST the CV caches, we found 7 more caches in the area. And third and most important, we took our time and explored a few areas, as the event organizers intended. The Devil's Punchbowl was my personal favorite, we spent LOTS of time there and at the big State Park.

Oh BTW, that reminds me: don't forget it you plan to do them all, several of them include fees for park access. Lake Wissota State Park in particular is a whopping $10 for non-resident access! Big Falls was $3, and there was another that was $1.50 so bring a bit 'o cash for your journey. These entries won't count for the contest, but they were some of my favorites for pictures, especially the Falls.

Have fun, good luck, and happy hunting!

-Ken
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
... but they were some of my favorites for pictures, especially the Falls.

I love the pictures you've posted online before! Did you take any in Wisconsin that you could post on the cache pages?
darus67
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad they didn't format the gpx file so it works with the paperless caching tools like GPXSonar or GSAK.

Although you hafta carry the paper log around to get the punches anyway, so I guess thats less important than being able to load waypoints into the GPSr automatically.

Still...
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darus67 wrote:
Too bad they didn't format the gpx file so it works with the paperless caching tools like GPXSonar or GSAK.

Although you hafta carry the paper log around to get the punches anyway, so I guess thats less important than being able to load waypoints into the GPSr automatically.

Still...

I was able to load into GSAK just fine, tonight I'll be loading onto the GPS and PDA
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
darus67 wrote:

Still...

I was able to load into GSAK just fine, tonight I'll be loading onto the GPS and PDA

Successful download to PDA and GPSr through GSAK.
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to make a run at these on Thursday, hoping to get an early enough start that I can get back in time for my daughter's softball game.

Is there a link to go directly to the site, after you've registered? I was going to get the updated info (re: the cache that was pulled, etc.)
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimbreWlf wrote:
Is there a link to go directly to the site, after you've registered? I was going to get the updated info (re: the cache that was pulled, etc.)

The link is in the email you should have gotten when you registered. I use gmail and it ended up in my spam folder. I was going to post the link but I'm not sure if they want unregistered people going there because it doesn't look like it is protected in any way.
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, got it. Thanks
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to conferences and softball, I'm moving my trip to Friday. If anyone is interested, I can drive and have room for a few folks in the Tahoe. I'm working on a route to go for all of them, and a couple more along the way. Drop a note to timbrewlf@comcast.net and we can figure something out.
kent1915
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: CV Event Reply with quote

FYI to tempt those of you considering coming over the creek to play...

chippewavalley.net has info and registration, passbook and GPX file is at

geocachingwisconsin.com

Hope to see ya soon!

Kent
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
I love the pictures you've posted online before! Did you take any in Wisconsin that you could post on the cache pages?

Hey, thanks GP! I'm hardly a pro photographer, but I always try to keep a camera with just in case we see something cool. As it turns out, I had a TB along with that wanted it's picture taken in all 50 states, so I took a couple of pictures of it in Wisconsin. They aren't my best pics, but I got a few at Big Falls, along the Eau Claire, along the Cedar River Trail, and at the Devil's Punch Bowl. For two of them, I was hanging out over the edge and taking pictures with one hand. Smile I won't post them here, in case anyone's heading over that way and wants to be surprised when they get there, but if you want to see some pictures from our Chippewa Valley excursion (and some scintillating and *highly* entertaining commentary on each picture, of course LOL) then point your browser this way to the log I put on Rocky the TB:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?LUID=17c329af-83ad-4d9a-aa1a-44c0ac5e9fe2

Enjoy! Smile

-Ken
accordiongal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.
unexpected
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Lodging in the Chippewa Valley Reply with quote

Hello! For those of you interested in lodging in the Chippewa Valley, check out www.chippewavalley.net or call (888) 523-3866!
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find any contact email to ask a question, so if anyone reading this is associated with the event, I was wondering if there was a way to find out if I am one of the first 500 to register and will be receiving a geocoin?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: