MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chippewa Valley, WI EVENT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
accordiongal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

accordiongal wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:
accordiongal wrote:
Hello,
Who is available to go caching on Friday, May 12 to the Chippewa Valley? My day off.
Accordiongal

Do you have auto-routing on your gps? Smile

Umm, don't know, there are maps on it. Might be a good reason to invest in something.

I have a Garmin Legend.
accordiongal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

accordiongal wrote:
accordiongal wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:
accordiongal wrote:
Hello,
Who is available to go caching on Friday, May 12 to the Chippewa Valley? My day off.
Accordiongal

Do you have auto-routing on your gps? Smile

Umm, don't know, there are maps on it. Might be a good reason to invest in something.

I have a Garmin Legend.

Autorouting, isn't that the back seat driver with a GPS?
Quote:
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

accordiongal wrote:
Autorouting, isn't that the back seat driver with a GPS?
Quote:

No, the back seat driver is Zman with his laptop: "Turn left up ahead, no left...LEFT!! oh, wait, you're going the right way, how'd I screw that up?"

Laughing

Celticwulf
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
No, the back seat driver is Zman with his laptop: "Turn left up ahead, no left...LEFT!! oh, wait, you're going the right way, how'd I screw that up?"

Celticwulf

yeah, yeah, yeah. darn north always being up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else having problems downloading the GPX files for this?
Polarone
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:

I can not Download the points. I have entered them in manually into my GPS.
BTW, I am gald that CamoCacher decided that she would join us in crossing the boarder.
accordiongal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I am anxious to have these caches, no I can't load them either. The old hand entry method will do.
About Friday, who is going during the day? Should take me about 90 minutes to travel to Eau Claire from home. Unsure about Saturday till later in the week.
Polarone
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am trying to get CamoCacher out on Sat.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarone wrote:
Well, I am trying to get CamoCacher out on Sat.

I don't know after the snide comment above about crossing the boarder I am not sure if I wanna go play with PolarOne on Sat. (BTW GeckoOne may join us.)
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:

For those having trouble downloading the GPX file - unless they fixed it, there was a problem with the way they have it set up on the web page. If you "right-click, save as" the file, you'll get an "GeocachingEvent.XML" file. But it's not really an .XML file, just rename it to "GeocachingEvent.GPX" and presto, you're good to go.

I actually just got back from Eau Claire, I spent today with Zoejam72 chasing down the Chippewa Valley caches. We got a late start, and didn't hit the area until 9am, but of the 32 caches hidden we still managed to find 26 (with 17 FTF's), DNF'd 2 (easy 1/1's of course, argh), and didn't have time for the remaining 4...they were 20+ miles EAST of our end point, we were beat, and all the rain y'all had over here finally caught up with us ~10pm!

At one location, we found TWO caches: one with a logbook who's last entries were dated Dec '04 (!!!). And one 20 feet away with a fresh logbook and a paper punch. Strange, must've been an old archived cache in the same spot! We pulled it and delivered it to the Chippewa Valley Visitor's Bureau, and had a nice chat with the ladies there about the event. We also ran into a landowner who, as it turns out, was unaware that he had a cache on his property (60 feet from his driveway) - got a few f-bombs dropped on us, but after a nice calm civil conversation, we got it sorted out, and promised to pass along his, um, concerns to the proper authorities so the cache could be moved.

Those that go will get treated to some really cool areas in and around Eau Claire - not all the caches will change your life of course, but we definitely had a GREAT time, whether we get "credit" at geocaching.com eventually or not. Be prepared for some surprises out there, and bring your camera as well!

We thought for SURE we'd run into some Wisconsin cachers, but we only saw the same three names in the log books over and over, so it was not meant to be. But on the bright side, we only picked up 5 wood ticks and 1 deer tick, so it was a good day all around. GOOD LUCK to those who go, I know you'll have fun...I'm sending in my passbook 6 punches short, it'll be fun to see who here can get 'em all!

-Ken
Msea
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest a nice campground that is open this time of year? We tent it, so utilities are not necessary. Thanks!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about the chippewa falls caches. I think I have a small group that is planning to go get em sometime soon (since FSU*noles and zoejam72 like to cache on my WORK days, otherwise I coulda gone with them... heh).
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
CamoCacher wrote:

For those having trouble downloading the GPX file - unless they fixed it, there was a problem with the way they have it set up on the web page. If you "right-click, save as" the file, you'll get an "GeocachingEvent.XML" file. But it's not really an .XML file, just rename it to "GeocachingEvent.GPX" and presto, you're good to go.

I actually just got back from Eau Claire, I spent today with Zoejam72 chasing down the Chippewa Valley caches. We got a late start, and didn't hit the area until 9am, but of the 32 caches hidden we still managed to find 26 (with 17 FTF's), DNF'd 2 (easy 1/1's of course, argh), and didn't have time for the remaining 4...they were 20+ miles EAST of our end point, we were beat, and all the rain y'all had over here finally caught up with us ~10pm!

At one location, we found TWO caches: one with a logbook who's last entries were dated Dec '04 (!!!). And one 20 feet away with a fresh logbook and a paper punch. Strange, must've been an old archived cache in the same spot! We pulled it and delivered it to the Chippewa Valley Visitor's Bureau, and had a nice chat with the ladies there about the event. We also ran into a landowner who, as it turns out, was unaware that he had a cache on his property (60 feet from his driveway) - got a few f-bombs dropped on us, but after a nice calm civil conversation, we got it sorted out, and promised to pass along his, um, concerns to the proper authorities so the cache could be moved.

Those that go will get treated to some really cool areas in and around Eau Claire - not all the caches will change your life of course, but we definitely had a GREAT time, whether we get "credit" at geocaching.com eventually or not. Be prepared for some surprises out there, and bring your camera as well!

We thought for SURE we'd run into some Wisconsin cachers, but we only saw the same three names in the log books over and over, so it was not meant to be. But on the bright side, we only picked up 5 wood ticks and 1 deer tick, so it was a good day all around. GOOD LUCK to those who go, I know you'll have fun...I'm sending in my passbook 6 punches short, it'll be fun to see who here can get 'em all!

-Ken

Thanks FSU Noles for the info.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is fixed.

PolarOne you better be prepared for a LONG day and a early start.
kent1915
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: CV Event Reply with quote

For those who have registered and attempted to download GPX file, it now works. The guys that run the server converted it ti XML and made it useless. It works now. Also, you can post messages to eache cache's webpage now if you are using Foxfire or something besides IE. The bugs are a getting worked out as we go.

FYI, there were over 90 registrants by 3 p.m. yesterday, so great turn out!!!! KEEP COMING!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: