MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More coins in circulation!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Guess that just means I'll have to get my personal coin minted before Ken does Laughing

No problem there, I still have no plans for a trackable coin, so go for it! I do have a friend that's been tempting me and slowly dragging me that direction, but I've resisted the evil lure - so far - but they're very persistent and persuasive. Smile Smile

Pictures are up for the MN coins on my profile - they'll be at the Event on Sunday, see y'all then!

-Ken

MN#1

MN#2

MN#3

Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brief history of the "Experience Minnesota" geocoin

I've been working on those coins since March and it feels really great to see them finally come to reality.
I had originally planned to release them on the anniversary of the first Minnesota Cache Bash (an event that started the friendships/relationships that would become the first Minnesota caching group), but the KB event thing came up and we started working on his coin so my timeline changed so that coin could be released first. Cool

I jokingly once posted here that I was going to have gold, diamond encrusted trackable geocoins made for all the pre-mngca "old timers" and original board members. Then somebody took me seriously and messaged me and asked when was I going to do that. So just for fun, while I was waiting for thing2 to get out of his scout meeting one day, I made a coin design that had a night scene with little stars on it. I submitted the design to a coin company and asked if there was any way to get rhinestones on the stars and make a coin out of it..... well there was, but it was very expensive. The original coin order was for 20 coins only and the cost per coin was over $23 each (no kidding).

Well one thing led to another, the coin manufacturer convinced me to make a larger edition so I changed the shape and the design on the back a bit, settled for the big dipper/north star and the yellow enamel instead of bling, and now here I am with a whole box full of coins.
They turned out nice -- I added several manufacturing upgrades to them. I'm very pleased. Very Happy

This was just a fun project for me. The look on the front is a tribute to the organization we had before MNGCA. Joel provided the front graphic and I modified it just a bit plus changed the colors to the regular gc.com colors.

The back is intended to be a night scene... it reminds me how much I love to sit and look at the night sky away from the city lights. The other graphics are in memory of a special time I had out camping with my husband once. A really happy and peaceful evening out in the Minnesota woods. The graphics are sparce, not much detail, but all I wanted was to try to convey that feeling of spending the day hiking and exploring then ending with a quiet starry night.

I also got special permission from groundspeak to use the CITO logo on the back of the coin because of my ongoing CITO cache here in MN.
These coins have nothing to do with the MNGCA or GEM or any other geocaching group -- they are a personal project that I did just for fun. Mostly because of some fond memories I have of caching with some long time friends and some happy times here in Minnesota.

Just FYI..... My next coin design is a "Minnesota Micro" trackable geocoin that will easily fit in all the pog tubes Wink scattered around the metro, it's already in the works -- look for those in about 3 months.

Also don't freak out when you see the price of the EM coin... Shocked they cost me significantly more to make than the KB coins did, mostly due to the unique shape and size and the upgraded finishing features.
I have worked the figures out in excel over and over to determine where my break even point is for both coins. They are both priced accordingly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I for one applaud your efforts Centris. Thanks for the explanations.

I actually like the design of the minnesota coin, in fact I had made some suggestions for a cutout of the MN shape on the mngca coin, however it was ruled out due to cost, so I understand the extra cost on the coins. The stars were a nice touch, personally I like the choice of constellation and including the north star.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOO..... CENTRIS? How can I get my hands on some of these? I just GOTTA get me a few of these!!
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aahhhhhh, life is good!!!
Just to borrow a quote from the Coin King...
fsu*noles wrote:
..... all you know is that they exist and someone other than you has one. Wink

RECENTLY SPOTTED IN THE HANDS OF....... me Very Happy
Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad, not bad. Not quite as good as my moun10bike coin, but not bad Wink
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
Aahhhhhh, life is good!!!
Just to borrow a quote from the Coin King...
fsu*noles wrote:
..... all you know is that they exist and someone other than you has one. Wink

RECENTLY SPOTTED IN THE HANDS OF....... me Very Happy

Gee, sounds like you found the holy grail or something. Laughing Wink
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
Gee, sounds like you found the holy grail or something.

No -- CBGPSrs has THE holy grail of geocoins!!!
(and will tell you so at every available opportunity!!) Razz

KC0GRN has the holy grail Jr. Laughing

Mine is just wicked cool!!!! Wink
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but I had to work harder to get the Holy Grail Jr. Wink
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Yeah but I had to work harder to get the Holy Grail Jr. Wink

Bleh..... you wouldn't want me to wreck my manicure would you??? Shocked LOL
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:

Interesting....but you 2 must not know about his coin...

The true GRAIL[/url]
CB-GPSERS
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:

oooooohhhhh....ok....thats the way to oust the lurker.... Laughing

That's right I'm all about sharing the wealth (to a point Razz ) with anyone intrested and / or more so, sharing it with anyone who has an appreation for the Geocaching history that comes with it.

It is true, if you meet me in the bush or on a trail, I will most likly have it on me, because I do use it like a personal Geo-travel-coin. Don't leave home with out it.... Wink

I feel lucky to have been able to have found it in the wild, and to be able to keep it actively traveling in the wild.

I also feel lucky to have had the recient experiance, @ the KB1000, of recieving and being able to add my new KB and EXMN coins to my short , but now growing, list personal Geo-travel-coins Very Happy.

See you in the bush Smile , if I don't see you first Razz , cache on..... Cool
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I happened to run across a hidden cache of coins in my house. They'd been missing for a while, and I'd just about forgot I had them, was kinda cool to find them and look through what I had. I'm giving a couple cachers first dibs on them, and then I'll post a list of what I have. I'm of course interested in cash or trades.

Looks like I got 7 trackables and a few older coins. I know someone noticed my KTAG coin at the event and had mentioned wanting to get one. If whomever that was is still interested, I have an extra now.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like I got 7 trackables and a few older coins. I know someone noticed my KTAG coin at the event and had mentioned wanting to get one. If whomever that was is still interested, I have an extra now.

That might have been me with that coin. More details please on all available coins. I have some coins now and more on the way. It's possible for a trade?
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have acquired quite a collection of coins now myself. I still have a bunch of these to get activated yet, but will have that done in the next couple of weeks. I am planning on showing up for the BB event in Worthington the end of June. I will have all of them with me. Not sure how many I have, but my guess is that it is 100 plus now. I have gotten alot of these in the past couple of months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: