MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More coins in circulation!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: More coins in circulation! Reply with quote

So I was telling pfalstad that he was making me feel guilty, while I was running around the Cities grabbing all these great coins from him, while hoarding my own private collection. So I decided to follow his example and start releasing coins into the wild, knowing I pr'bly won't see them ever again. So for those who enjoy the coins, keep an eye out - I have 10 in circulation now, 4 ready to be dropped, and 6 more waiting for activation to be released here in town.

Rubbertoes was quick on the draw, and grabbed my "meet the local cachers" coin today. The other one is still there in a cache, and the FTF prize is still up for grabs. I figured this would keep me amused and *might* keep the coins alive longer, so I put these out there today - I have a few more suprises planned for them as well, I hope y'all like 'em - thanks and have fun!

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=237260

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=361896

-Ken
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you attaching any sort of a label stating that "these are not trade items" and a mission?

I've got a few Geocoins now that I will be releasing shortly, but I just am very hesitant to release them into caches without at least something saying what thier goal is, similar to TB's. I'm not really worried about any of the people that understand what Geocoins are, I'm just concerned that newer cachers may not see that it's actually a trackable item and not a trade item.

Anyone else have thoughts on the subject?

Celticwulf
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, the only coin I'm hoarding is my Moun10bike coin.

That's basically because it took me a year and a half of effort and work to get one, which included briefly meeting the man himself at an event out in WA. That coin probably means more to me personally than all the other coins.

As for my others, I'll try to get them to events, etc. Spent too much on the darn things to release them all into the wild. Once the icons went wild though, I lost much interest in buying any coins. Basically my final goal is to get my own coin minted.
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
Are you attaching any sort of a label stating that "these are not trade items" and a mission?

I've been experimenting with different methods on the coins. I just dropped my 46th coin into a Twin Cities cache today, some of you have pr'bly noticed the massive influx of coins around here Smile, and I've worked hard to drop multiple coins in all areas of the Cities. Here's what I did:

-5 coins in their original state, in a vinyl "flip" holder
-5 coins with a hole drilled in them, in a flip holder
-7 coins with a hole drilled AND a laminated TB sheet attached to a chain
-5 coins in a flip, with a standard "This is a TB" sheet, in a plastic bag
-5 coins in a round, airtite, snap-together clear holder (some with TB sheets), in a plastic bag

All of the rest are "slabbed", including ALL of the 1.5" and most of the 1.75" coins. A slab is a special plastic coin holder, with a fitted insert to hold the coin, which I then superglue together. There's space for a sticker, which I put a "do not keep" on one side, and the tracking URL on the other. It looks like this, courtesy of CB-GPSR:

That's mine in the middle, and that's HIS on the far right - the lucky guy! Smile

I like the slabs the best, they protect the coins nicely and allow me to sticker the coin *under* the plastic. If a thief wants the coin, they still have to work for it, and if they were going to go through that effort in the first place - well, there's not much I could have done to stop them anyway.

I suspect the ones that will do the best, unfortunately, are the ones with the hole drilled in them, and the unprotected vinyl ones I think will disappear first.

For mission tags, I don't include them - I take my chances that the finders will look at the page. Most don't have missions anyway, and when they do, they're rather long. Like this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=199525

Which I'll add and edit items on as it travels. So, that's what I'm doing, it's all fairly experimental for now - but the bottom line is this: as sad as it is, when I release a coin, I pretty much know I'll never see it again. Best not to get attached, or just keep them at home! Smile

-Ken

Last edited by fsu*noles on Fri May 19, 2006 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple more slab pics of another coin of mine, courtesy of farmerted. BTW please don't do the water thing like he did, that one just about gave me a heart attack! The *theory* is they're close to airtite, but why push it...

Thanks!

-Ken
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had pretty good luck with my coins even though none of them have slabs, tags, or holes. I'm not aware of any newbies taking them thinking they're trade items (yet). Usually somebody grabs them the day after they are dropped if not sooner, so the newbies never get a chance. There are some people hoarding them a little bit, but FSU*Noles has that problem too. I don't worry about it too much.

I drop them in impossibly hard caches and request that other people do that same, so that helps.
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
There are some people hoarding them a little bit, but FSU*Noles has that problem too.

LOL ya, one local cacher has NINE of my coins in his possession now, from driving all over the Cities and picking them up. That seems a wee bit excessive to me, and I'd sure like to see them spread out a bit more (if it were me, I'd drop a coin in a cache when I took another one out?) -- but I can't really dictate what other cachers do I guess, so as long as he's having fun and the coins and they get back into circulation soon it's all good. 'Tis all for fun, right? Smile Smile Smile

-Ken
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if people would have problems with me making up a buisness card sig item, where I would include a link to a password protected file on my website, where I would have either a portion or most of my coins listed.

Yes, you're not finding a coin.. but again I spent a good portion of money collecting them, but are you more interested in seeing a coin, or getting an icon.

Probably not a great option, I expect TPTB would frown on it. Just an idea I was kicking around, thought I'd see what others thought of it.
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
I wonder if people would have problems with me making up a buisness card sig item, where I would include a link to a password protected file on my website, where I would have either a portion or most of my coins listed.

Yes, you're not finding a coin.. but again I spent a good portion of money collecting them, but are you more interested in seeing a coin, or getting an icon.

Probably not a great option, I expect TPTB would frown on it. Just an idea I was kicking around, thought I'd see what others thought of it.

Joel, I think it'd be easier to release a laminated "copy" of a coin for people to log. Alot of cachers are against this, but then again, they don't have to log your coin if they are. But you might get some flack over it anyway, fwiw.

As for your spending too much money on coins to release them, since that's the 2nd time you mentioned that in this thread, I think I can help ya - I know you still have extra coins...after all, a fair number of coins I have, I got from you. Smile Smile Smile So, here's the deal: *any* extra 1.5" trackable coins you want to sell, I'll buy and release into the wild. I don't even care what kind they are, it's just the 1.5"s are easiest for me to process. After that, we can move to the rest of the sizes, but this way you get $$ to help you meet your goal of minting your own personal coin, you get to clean out your extras, *and* the coins will be circulating where others can see them instead of gathering dust. Sound like a win-win? LMK, thanks-

-Ken
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Once the icons went wild though, I lost much interest in buying any coins.

But you'll accept freebies... right? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, heh, and I'll still buy a coin here and there if it has some special meaning to me.

See originally I wanted to build a collection of every geocoin in existence, but that was back when there were only a handful of kinds out there. I still manage to have some of the rarest coins around, but since the market for geocoins exploded, it cost me too much to keep up with new coins, both in time and money. So, since then I've cut back, way back.

Historically I was one of the first cachers to get in on the geocoin craze, and I know a few of the originals have since gotten out of it as well. I guess that's why I got to a point of having too many coins to deal with, and hence why I have a surplus of the older coins (most back in the day weren't gc.com trackable, but still very well done coins with low mintage numbers). And as much as I like new icons, there's way too many of them to ever get a full set. I'll gladly log any anyone cares to share with me, and I'd like to make mine available to be logged as well. I just happen to know the track record for travelbugs and geocoins in the wild, and that's why I'm not terribly motivated to release them. Call it selfish, call in hoarding, or whatever.

To FSU*noles and the other coin collectors around here, I'll try and get my list finished up as soon as I can, I know I've been lax on getting it done. After I've sent the list privately to a few people I know, I'll post it here for anyone interested in buying some of the older coins.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
pfalstad wrote:
There are some people hoarding them a little bit, but FSU*Noles has that problem too.

LOL ya, one local cacher has NINE of my coins in his possession now, from driving all over the Cities and picking them up. That seems a wee bit excessive to me, and I'd sure like to see them spread out a bit more (if it were me, I'd drop a coin in a cache when I took another one out?) -- but I can't really dictate what other cachers do I guess, so as long as he's having fun and the coins and they get back into circulation soon it's all good. 'Tis all for fun, right? Smile Smile Smile

-Ken

Anyone have a clue why people are hording the coins at the moment? I'm the same as FSU in that I'd prefer that coins that are traveling caches should stay in Caches. I'm actually better at getting coins out ASAP than TBs. TB's I try to make sure to move within 2 weeks, but coins I try to move within a few days...

But yeah, I guess it is just personal preferance...it just would be nice with all the traveling coins out now to have them spread around rather than in peoples hands for periods of time. Then again, I'm also one that thinks coins should never go into "bug hotels" or things like that...grouping coins when they're so seldom seen seems silly to me.

Sorry for the vent...just frustrated knowing there's a bunch of cool coins that have now been released to travel and yet they aren't in caches...which makes me worry about the ones I'm planning on releasing.

Celticwulf
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
fsu*noles wrote:
pfalstad wrote:

-Ken

Anyone have a clue why people are hording the coins at the moment? I'm the same as FSU in that I'd prefer that coins that are traveling caches should stay in Caches. I'm actually better at getting coins out ASAP than TBs. TB's I try to make sure to move within 2 weeks, but coins I try to move within a few days...

But yeah, I guess it is just personal preferance...it just would be nice with all the traveling coins out now to have them spread around rather than in peoples hands for periods of time. Then again, I'm also one that thinks coins should never go into "bug hotels" or things like that...grouping coins when they're so seldom seen seems silly to me.

Sorry for the vent...just frustrated knowing there's a bunch of cool coins that have now been released to travel and yet they aren't in caches...which makes me worry about the ones I'm planning on releasing.

Celticwulf

I know sometimes things just don't work out they way you think they will. I know we have one of FSU's coins right now, we were going to send it east when we were Eau Calire last weekend. It ended up all the caches we found were either the Convention ones that aren't GC.com related. The "normal" caches we ended up finding were all related to the president's series, which are all small PVC pipe type caches that the coin wouldn't fit in (it has the square palsitc protector thingy around it) then add on the fact that I got sent to Milwaukee from Eau Claire to cover the Twins and our caching time was cut short to where we weren't able to find a "normal" cache to place it in. So it's reappearance in a cache will have to wait until our next outing. Hopefully this weekend, but since I work weekends sometimes we just don't get a lot of time to cache. But we'll get it back out there, and I guess on the upside it didn't go east to Wisconsin for those who like hunting coins it'll still be in the metro.
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
Anyone have a clue why people are hording the coins at the moment?

I suspect it's still because they're new and exciting, and still relatively rare. I think the coins have always appealed to the "treasure hunter" that's hidden inside every geocacher, and there's something cool about finding something like that in a cache - and the chase is exciting, too!

I wouldn't worry about it or let it keep you from releasing your coins - at least I know they're safe and not missing. I've traded a few e-mails with the holder of my nine coins, and am ok with his upcoming plans for them - and, he DID get them fair and square, everyone did have an equal shot. He picked them up in Monticello, Andover, Chanhassen, Bloomington, Arden Hills, Eagan, Apple Valley, St Louis Park, Plymouth, and more - so he made the effort, and got 'em fair and square. Smile

I will admit, I do hope a few of them make an appearance soon though - I'm still quite attached to a couple of them, and want to see them shared! Smile But don't worry, I have a few more to drop yet, and as more cachers put coins out, hopefully the more coins there are circulating, the less inclined people will be to hold them for long lengths of time...

-Ken
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
celticwulf wrote:
Anyone have a clue why people are hording the coins at the moment?

I suspect it's still because they're new and exciting, and still relatively rare. I think the coins have always appealed to the "treasure hunter" that's hidden inside every geocacher, and there's something cool about finding something like that in a cache - and the chase is exciting, too!

I wouldn't worry about it or let it keep you from releasing your coins - at least I know they're safe and not missing. I've traded a few e-mails with the holder of my nine coins, and am ok with his upcoming plans for them - and, he DID get them fair and square, everyone did have an equal shot. He picked them up in Monticello, Andover, Chanhassen, Bloomington, Arden Hills, Eagan, Apple Valley, St Louis Park, Plymouth, and more - so he made the effort, and got 'em fair and square. Smile

I will admit, I do hope a few of them make an appearance soon though - I'm still quite attached to a couple of them, and want to see them shared! Smile But don't worry, I have a few more to drop yet, and as more cachers put coins out, hopefully the more coins there are circulating, the less inclined people will be to hold them for long lengths of time...

-Ken

OK, I'm glad you're knowing what's going on with the coins. I just got frustrated because I remember looking through the cache list right after yourself and pfalstad started dropping your coins, and it was fun to see at least every other page of "nearest" caches had a cache with a coin in it...I loved seeing the large spread of coins, and it also made it less likely that one muggle would "accidentally" cause a lot of coins to go missing.

And yes, I do understand the delay in placing coins and TB's...IMNSHO I'm fine when it's one/two trackables that you're wanting to find a place for, but when you've got more than that it just seems rude (and yes, I did just say rude Wink )

I'm thinking about starting to release a few this weekend since I have no other plans right now...we'll see, perhaps a Mtn-man admin brick will be wandering the metro shortly Smile

Celticwulf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: