MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

geocaching.com website changes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: geocaching.com website changes Reply with quote

For the most part, the changes are TERRIBLE

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, they managed to make it even worse!

I commend Jeremy, et al, for being able to do this all on their own, but I think now that the site is popular, they need to get someone where Information Archetecture and Design are their background to re-design geocaching.com.

IMHO, for new users, they've made it more confusing, and for long-term users, they've made it harder to get the information you need.

-Aaron
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

what Aaron said

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
EelSid
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get used to the new search for the most part. The only thing that really bugs me about it is the fact that your OWN caches show up just like any other cache you haven't been to and are no longer listed as caches you have placed. On the other hand the site is a lot faster and the advanced search with type filters is nice. I'm just waiting for that new cache map!
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup -- just this morning I was thinking of sneaking out and doing a few before the kidlets got up. I don't think I like this too much, especially since they combine caches found, caches placed, etc all on the same page.

I can see how it might be slightly easier for those who download the waypoints onto their PDA (but I don't)....... guess I will have to play around a bit and get used to it. I also notice they decided to colorize most of the links -- could choose some better colors. I agree with E, bring back a decent map program!

One new feature I DO like is when you click to "log a cache" it tells what account you are logged in as at the upper right corner -- very nice, especially if your teenage son has been playing on his account and forgot to log out Wink Saves mom from clicking numerous delte buttons after logging a days worth of caches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
berg0449
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not done much looking around the new design yet but I a few things I noticed.

In the Search area
1)Found caches in with unfound caches. The only difference is a "X" in the left side and your time since found in the right side. This makes it more difficult viewing list of caches. Anybody else notice that for caches you have not found the above "X" is a white "O" so that you cannot see it unless you hightlite it.

2)More caches per page. Could be nice but I imagine could slow things down at certain hours.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I log from my Danger Hiptop / T-Mobile Sidekick right from the cache site.

Now, when I try to get cache details or to search nearest caches, I get "Server Error in '/' Application," and apparently some people are getting similar errors with browsers on their desktops.

Rather frustrating. I've posted a few messages about it on the boards there and I hope they fix it. Looks like sloppy code from what I can see.

Bleh.

I love geocaching, but I really don't like geocaching.com.

Long live mngca.org. Wink

I wish other developers could access the cache database in some form, so people could make their own "front end" to the same information. That wouldn't be in the best interests of Groundspeak and their advertisers, I guess. Wink

Woah, I'm on a soap box again, sorry.

-Aaron
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody else having problems with being able to look at member only pages....I am a member and for some reason not able to pull them up now after the new changes!!!
berg0449
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
anybody else having problems with being able to look at member only pages....I am a member and for some reason not able to pull them up now after the new changes!!!

I just tried it. I had the same problem. I logged out and re-logged in and now it worked.
Big Bird and Son
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that change is difficult for some....including me! But, the changes just suck! The colors are terrible and combining my caches with the caches I've found and the caches I haven't found is terrible. Why on earth did they do this?
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They now have a filter finds link you can click on your account page that will filter out your finds and placed caches.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the EasyGPS download working for anyone? Tried it last night and it did not open. Did they change the feed from geocaching.com?
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is the EasyGPS download working for anyone?

I just tried it and it worked fine.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use easy GPS -- I can't get Moe to tell me his secret for making it work. (yes I tried it with virtual PC) I am still trying to figure out if I like the new cache list pages or not -- still playing with those features.

My biggest problem has been that I keep getting logged out of the site when visiting certain pages -- never have experienced this problem before, it is annoying. Hopefully they wil get that fixed up soon.

I also hate the new colors -- at least they could have picked something cheerful looking. Bring back the basic black, blue and green....... pleeeeze.
(or some lovely neutral colors like we see here on MnGCA Wink)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris:

For the login problem, clear out your cookies and try again - that should clear that up.

As for not using EasyGPS, have you looked into this:

http://www.threadworksunlimited.com/gps/

I use this with my 12" Powerbook and it works really slick. The coder, Karl, is a nice guy too. (No need to run VPC!)

-Aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: